Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alternative IDEs

thinBasic MVPs
    Not really. Maybe you do not differ: Scintilla is the brand, the developers.
    They have a control alike a tuned up RichTextField.

That control is the main-element of SciTE (Scintilla Text Editor) which comes with a predefined window and plenty of functions but this Editor is imo mostly a HTML-Editor already. It's very difficult to add things that the creators of scite did not concern things as keyword-expressions consisting of more than 1 keyword (Array Scan..) not to mention 3 or more keywords (Control Add Button...) and that we have no Tags as <start-Tag> ...</end-Tag>
    nor class-embracements like C++/C# or java have where the body of a class or function is between { and }.
    So they cut down little by little of the functions and possibilities that the "scintilla textbox control" offers.

Scite comes with lua as embedded scripting language and i find it quite difficult to use another language then the targeted one to edit (here thinBasic)- especially it should be configurable and customizable by thinbasic-users and for me it's a question of style and convincement about the languages integrity that we as users customize a thinBasic-code-editor only using thinBasic-language and its modules. The Editors foundation must be the library it would be built with if we would use thinBasic to create the editor. Obviously it has to be UI-Module empowered by thinCore and it must contain additional modules as OS and Tokenizer etc.

So we should have the scintilla-control wrapped as a thinBasic-module alike "UIAdv" depending on "UI" and containing either own derived functions of OS and tokenizer or reference these modules internally when we write:
    Uses "Scintilla".

They do not offer scintilla.dll as a download separate any more -i know it was available in the past but i was not able to find it - except versions from around 2010 and older (i think i saw it in powerbasic-forum) .
    i could not find a hint yet how to get the control without the burden of scite.
    I think there are missing some Forum-sections as beta-testing and support

Hi Rene,

the alpha version of thinAir definitely has stability issues, we are working on it. However - it is something not unusual for release rated as alpha/beta. I definitely want stable thinAir for stable thinBASIC release.

As for Search/Replace, it is available - Ctrl + R, am I missing something?

The editor will get better in 1.11.7.0, but we are currently a bit flooded with Eros at work, that is all.

Currently, the fixed issues we have implemented and you can look forward for next alpha release is (spoilers ahead):
    - fixed temporary execution of scripts via Shift+F5
    - right click context action for #includedir
    - uncomment out missing the first selected line
    - better reporting of missing files (not msgbox for each missing file, but one aggregated message)
    - process monitoring mixed /\
    - better tooltip for UDTs
    - hopefully better version of confusing >>>> indicator

...and hopefully more. As you can see, we take issue solving seriously, and focus on stability a lot.

My personal opinion on Scintilla is - it is good, has good documentation. I think we just scratched the surface of possibilities. I think we will manage to improve its use a lot, Eros is of great help explaining how it works.

All we need is a free evening here and there, to keep improving it. With this tiny time dotation, doing a complete rewrite would halt the development completely - at this time. That does not mean we are not checking the alternatives.

In such situations the thing which makes sense is to open the development and that is exactly what Eros did, allowing me to help with thinAir. I am amazed how much work he did on it, and I hope to be of some help.

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 02-06-2020 at 20:30.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

thinBasic MVPs

NPP (notepad++)

am using it for quite a while already . First i thought maybe my windows is buggy but since weeks - morethan a month or so i have win10 pro installed . system completely renewed. Thinair crashes faster then it loads.

Its only a bit lexer (not full autocomplete ) but syntax highlighting and also loading other stuff as xml or ini and batch-stuff. So i have 2 parsers thinbasic and standard wich highlights also diskpart and bcdedit, cmd & batch & registry- all in one with a bit basic-basic.

I know it could be better- the functionlist does not do like i want but at least lists the functions.

Only the code "Function" must not start after a full line comment what usually is done to seperate
    some code-parts. And it should start in the first column.

The functionlist i had a bit ... not better... it was listing also const and controlID and it was possible to expand these to see every single equate... TWICE! bit funny but if not that what else will life offer for free?

I only have a theme with a dark background and bright font - see image - look the style-menu where
    to select the theme with predefined high contrast for few other languages also. Just look where i made the circles in that image. And the zip contains folders that tell you in what folders those things go. If no folder (as Function-List) it goes right besides notepad++.exe.
    Recommend to backup your functionlist - maybe you dont like mine or you have to merge it in parts with some other... just in case.
    Theres portable as well as full installation of npp. So depends where you have it i think if installed its somewhere at username\appdata\local|roaming in that area...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

thinBasic MVPs

Another good one...

A really very good Editor - even worth to pay 40€ for it - thats what they ask and thats a great offer-
    HIPPO-EDIT

What is so good about it? if you had seen the many different lexers and wordlists and oh my god - sometimes very poooor regex then you will see instantly.
    Very far in front: detects combination of multiple keywords without parenthesis as in tB Array Scan or control Add Button etc. The functionlist-tree: what a hell in notepad++! There you just name it label, assign a keyword , add some information or reminders - easy as eating cookies. But as said it is not for free. You can earn yourself a license by providing some resources as drawings or translations.

Codeblocks to predefine as simple as drawing a line, makros , plenty of spaces to integrate tools. Very good documentation and barely needed by all those goodies: a sophisticated regex-flavor and scripting built-in. Sadly its not one that can be free provided but its worth a look - to get an idea how simple approaches sometimes can solve problems that seem to be impossible to solve in some other "untools".

Risk a look ifyou like- it has a full functional but time-limited trial-version.

40euro...ok but i don't see anything ultra better than in others

My personal opinion on Scintilla is - it is good, has good documentation.
    Yes Petr it is good ,,but not every version, i recently have stupid problems with 3.7.4.0 version then i switched back to
    3.1.0.0 for my own editor

thinBasic MVPs
    Quote Originally Posted by zlatkoAB View Post
    40euro...ok but i don't see anything ultra better than in others
    try to configure it... then you will know. Before i ever touch scintilla again i would pay

well i simply don't need this advanced features of any IDE or editor ,so that i why i made my own for work with Oxygen basic
    yeah it is not powerful but for me and for i am doing is good enough.

thinBasic MVPs
    I think if thinBasic.dll were not(pre) COM- piled...
    - many words giving IT a multiple meaning - If it were Not COM -fix- so previously COM-compiled thinBasic could easily outlever and replace vbscript and Powershell and the MS command-line AS Well.
    And it ist certainly 150% compatible to what the ancient Windows Script Host requires. Ancient peace of non-.net-managed windows Heart that could Open a tiny gate not only to embed thinbasic
    within that Code-Editor but as well as it ist able to learn faster and more targeting its own evolution to become better it would certainly pick the language that gives it the most direct control. Windows 2030 shall already get programmed by the previous Windows Version only. And it collects Data already for that purpose. Every time your PC asks If it shall Report a Problem to Microsoft it gathers a little experience again...

Seriously someone who has an Idea how could kick the "visual Out of its own Studio" and Take Control over IT. Secretly. While IT evaluates IT were using a Tool its being used by that tool

I just tried VS Code successfully.
    1. Set the syntax highlighting to VB for extensions like "*.tbasic", "*.inc", "*.unit".
    2. There is an extension for vs code called code-runner. Install it.
    3. code-runner had a option named "executorMapByFileExtension". Set it like this.
    .tbasic" : "C:\\thinBasic\\thinBasic.exe" $fileName
    Now, you have syntax highlighting and code running in vs code.
    Problems.
    . All VB keywords are highlighted. Keywords like "Uses", "EndIf" will be displayed in normal color.
    Here is my screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast