Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting to an Established Server

Connecting to an Established Server

Hi Folks,

I need a little help.

I wish to connect to a database server. The database is powerful but character based.

Once I successfully establish a connection (TCP/IP is normally used), I understand I will be able to communicate effectively using the udp_send and udp_receive functions to send and receive text strings.

I'm having trouble establishing the initial connection. My attempts have been based on my (demonstrably inadequate) understanding of the UDP_Notify_Client.tbasic program.

I need to establish a TCP connection (with "localhost" 127.0.0.1 initially, for testing purposes), on server port 2300.

Once connection is established, I will send a carriage return to elicit a "Login:" request. Replying to that will trigger a "Password:" request, to which I will reply in turn. After that, I should be able to happily pass text strings backwards and forwards between my thinBasic program and a control program on the server.

Can anyone give me a few clues re establishing the initial connection, please?

Thanks,

Peter H.

Thought for the day (in a broad Australian accent):<br />First of all yer gungadin. Afterwards yer gungadout.

Re: Connecting to an Established Server

Hi Peter,

Until you get a thinBASIC solution worked out, this should do it for you.

C:> sendit mycmds.txt

If it works, try redirecting commands from the console or redirecting output to a file.

FileName = COMMAND()
    OPEN FileName FOR INPUT AS #1
    OPEN "127.0.0.1:2300" FOR SOCKET AS #2
    REPEAT
    LINE INPUT #1, FileCmd
    PRINT #2, FileCmd
    LINE INPUT #2,Response
    PRINT Response
    UNTIL EOF(1)

Note: Untested Program.
    I attached a zip that has sendit.exe
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

Hi Peter,

and welcome to ThinBASIC forums!

Could you please post code you use currently for connecting to database?

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi everyone there,

i have to say that i'm a little bit confusion.
    just, i was reading Peter here, but i was not meant here.
    i think you could write for the other Peter : [Peter H] in order to differentiate both names !
    i get psychic problems, if i do ascertain that i cannot do this and this.

Peter

Hi folks,

This is my 4th attempt to send the mentioned attachment.

It was in .doc form the first time, and rejected.

My second attempt, with a .zip file, was rejected because it was a duplicate post.

So was my third attempt, with totally different text.

I've totally exited and come back in this time. My fingers are crossed.

Regards,

PeterH
    Thought for the day (in a broad Australian accent):<br />First of all yer gungadin. Afterwards yer gungadout.

thinBasic MVPs

Peter can you post the "serverconnectmvb.tbasicc" file or do you really expect people to type all that in to try and help?

can you send and receive on the same channel ?
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

Hi Folks,

It looks like my first post pertaining to the attachment, and all the text in it, was lost. Sorry.

An attachment error was reported the first time because the attachment was a .doc file. When I tried again with a .zip attachment, the post was rejected because it was a duplicate, so I thought the text had been accepted the first time. It hadn't been.

So I re-typed the the original text from memory, only to have it rejected because someone had replied to my one post that had got through. (That was Michael's reply, for which I am grateful.)

With all the posting problems, I was extremely late already (having to take my wife somewhere important), so I just had to shut down and run.

For the record, a summary of my latest rejected post is: (Reply to Michael after this)
    ----------------------------------------
    Thank you everyone for your responses.

I rediscovered the TCP_ functions in the documentation. I had forgotten them because of information overload.

I started from scratch, using them.

I seem to be connecting to the server OK.

I don't receive the response I expect. The expected response, as received by a PC-based terminal emulator, is shown on page 2 of the attachment in the former post that got through. Such emulators require only the destination IP address and port number to be specified by the user.

I guess I must be mis-using either the TCP_Open or TCP_Recv command.

All advice will be welcome and appreciated.

Kind regards to all,
    ----------------------------------------

Michael, thanks for your reply.

I posted only a screen dump because I thought somebody would see what I was doing wrong just by inspection. I hadn't expected anyone to actually want to run my code and experiment with it.

I appreciate your gesture. My code is attached. (I've also tried using TCP_Print instead of TCP_Send.) For test purposes, I am using a database on my local computer, so if by channel you mean port, the answer is I don't think I can send and receive on the same channel. Port 2300 is reserved for the database.

Kind regards,

Peter H

Hi Michael,

Oops!

When considering only the client end of my communication, port 2300 is immaterial. My mistake. After midnight here.

To answer your question more accurately, I do not know if the client (thinBasic) program can send and receive on the same channel (port). However, I suspect that it can, because the database (server end) both sends and receives on only one port, being 2300.

Kind regards,

Peter H.

thinBasic MVPs

Thanks for posting the script its sometimes quicker to look at what someone has done

you have some mistakes

TCPOpenFile has the error flag from TCP_OPEN not a handle, you should be using TCPFreeFile

inBuffer = TCP_Recv(TCPFreeFile,6000)

but I get an error 57 at work havent tried at home but try my version below see what you get.

Mike

oops slight bug but thanks Petr...now fixed
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

hi peter h., michael, petr

perhaps somebody can check the current tcp script again...

I have started the debugger again and have got at line 28 of the script an error code 57 (again!)... the picture I am attaching...

I have downloaded the current script and here the little mistake stills exists ... sorry... or my pc has a cold...

best regards, Lionheart
    Attached Images Attached Images
    you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast