Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie

Re: Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hartlef
    Hi John, welcome here on the forum.

Did you start a script via thinAIR or by double clicking on it? Or did you started thinBasic.exe or thinBasicC.exe?
    Yes, thinBasic file extensions have to be either .tbasic or .tbasicc . If a script ends with .tbasic, thinbasic.exe will be automatically called to run it. A .tbasicc file will open thinBasicC.exe automatically. You never run these two exe files on your own.

Tonight, if nothing goes wrong family wise, I will produce a small video to show you the first steps when you start with thinBasic.

Regarding the left process inside the task manager. That can happen when a script crashes. Also there is a debugger in thinBasic but I never used it.

And like allways, an attached script can show us the problems better so if you can, allways attach a script with a bug report so we can help squishing the bugger. ThinBasic runs very very stable and all developers are very committed to improve and develop thinBasic further.
    I had started the "thinbasic.exe" and "thinBasicC.exe" files manually, not with thinAIR. Incidentally, I would suggest that, in the installation process, if this is the preferred method to be used for program startup, a desktop icon aimed at thinAIR.exe be installed. ThinAIR works, and I now have a screen in which I can create and edit scripts. BUT the help files within thinAIR are applicable to thinAIR only, not for creating and editing scripts. And the processes and requirements for doing so are so much different in thinBasic that what I have done in the past in GWBasic, BASICA, QBasic, and PowerBasic that help files are a must.

thinBasic MVPs

Hello John

Press F1 and the help will appear as if by
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

Or press in the help menu the third entry.

John, when making suggestions, it is the best to post them in the suggestions area of this forum. This way they don't get lost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well, we have to improve startup learning operations, tutorials on how to start with thinBasic. I agree on that.

Anyhow, I think the best way to start is to use Windows Explorer.
    Run Explorer.
    Go into the many directories under \thinBasic\SampleScripts\ directory.
    Open any sub directory you are interested.
    Point to the script you like.
    Use the mouse:
    - double click on a script to execute
    - right click on a script and from contest menu choose Edit to start thinAir and edit the script.
    - from inside thinAir, click on any thinBasic keyword and press F1 to have specific help

I will try to find a way and find some ideas on how to improve operations just after thinBasic installation.

Ciao
    Eros

www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12