Thread: Long term suggestion: Executing bundled EXEs on medium with no write access

Long term suggestion: Executing bundled EXEs on medium with no write access

Hi Roberto,

I can see you prepair some really nice features now, so to not flood you with work take this as long term suggestion, no press.

The only situation when bundled EXE cannot be used is when I burn it on CD / DVD. It is quite easy to write some menu or presentation in ThinBasic now, but once it is on CD, it cannot extract its files so it is problem to run it.

Solution could be extracting/loading the DLLs to memory or some kind of injection to EXE?

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Re: Long term suggestion: Executing bundled EXEs on medium with no write access

Quite complex, we can arrange the bundle to use DLLs from memory but I'm perplexed about others script resource.
    May be better prepare a CD or DVD with full ThinBASIC installation and source script obfuscated.
    You can also explore the new Bundle features and try with %TEMP% or other know environment variables.

Ciao,
    Roberto
    http://www.thinbasic.com

Petr,

with the new features Roberto is adding about exploding into parametrized directory, I think it will be possible to store bundled EXE on a read only support and execute from a temp folder.

Also the script must be written in such a way needed output files (like .ini config files or other) been written in user profile directory and not current or script folder.
    User profile directory can be determined using os_getspecialfolder(%CSIDL_PROFILE).

Anyhow, let's see next thinBasic preview and test.

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Thanks,

there is lot of time to solve this task, no hurry.

Petr

Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Petr,

new thinBundle isolation flag and the possibility to indicate environ variables can already do the job you requested (present in thinBasic preview 1.7.0.0 refresh 20081106).
    We are working on isolation flag in order to check little problems tested this night but if you indicate %TEMP% as Extraction Folder, you should be able to execute thinBasic bundled exe also from readonly media.

Let me know.
    Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.