Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lionheart008: model example

Re: OBJ-plugin:) Lionheart008: model example

short info

dear kent, michael, petr! hi all...

I have found a good OBJ export plugin for cinema 4d, so I can build all my objects and scenes and texture mapping with it... I am very happy !!! ;D

best regards, have a sunshing day, Lionheart, very, very satisfied...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need

Re: Lionheart008: model example

Congrats! Now you can rule the world ;D

Thank you all for examples,

I am sorry for being "sleeping", real life made me busy a bit.

Petr

Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Re: image formats... vonverting problems

good morning, hi all
    dear petr, michael... other guys here...

1) little question... about image formats, texture maps...

Why it's necessary to build an *.bmp file to the textured object? Why you can't use a *.png format (*.jpg) or other image files? thinbasic and TBGL was programmed in this kind, I am sure, but it's possible to program the thinbasic code in this way to adept it to new image formats?

2) my created low poly objects became very big after converting from OBJ into M15 files... I ask myself why it does happen in this unreasonable way... My cinema or LW file takes for example only a) 50-70 kybte... after exporting and converting it only with a simple color and transparence it increase over b) 212-260 kybte... Don't understand that... perhaps I have to use another 3d app

3) hovercraft dummy objects takes 70 kbyte, after exporting 79 kbyte as OBJ file, then converting it into M15 file the size explode to 212 kybte... why???

nice day, see you, Lionheart
    ps: two examples (little landscape example, hovercraft dummy object) as png files I have added
    you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find, you get what you need

Hi Frank,

) my created low poly objects became very big after converting from OBJ into M15 files... I ask myself why it does happen in this unreasonable way... My cinema or LW file takes for example only a) 50-70 kybte... after exporting and converting it only with a simple color and transparence it increase over b) 212-260 kybte... Don't understand that... perhaps I have to use another 3d app
    Sorry Franko, but I explained that to you before. The M15 file format is an ASC (text) file format, so is the OBJ one. The LWO and Cinema's fileformat are binary file formats, and so it is logical that they are much smaller. And the difference from OBJ to M15 is that OBJ stores each vertex just once and M15 store a vertex that is used by n faces, n times. So it is normal that this is bigger. There is nothing wrong with this. And there is no other app that will help you. Unless you write a custom importer like I did with the B3D file format.

Why it's necessary to build an *.bmp file to the textured object? Why you can't use a *.png format (*.jpg) or other image files? thinbasic and TBGL was programmed in this kind, I am sure, but it's possible to program the thinbasic code in this way to adept it to new image formats?
    Sure it is possible but till this date and because of compatibility reasons, Petr decided not to build this into TBGL. There are ways around this, like create your own PNG/JPG loader (who wants to use JPGs for a texture? ) and then create a texture in memory and attach it, but till this date only BMP and TGA textures are supported.

Nice models. How many faces does the landscape have? Are these models to be used in the game?

hi michael,

a)
    The M15 file format is an ASC (text) file format, so is the OBJ one. The LWO and Cinema's fileformat are binary file formats, and so it is logical that they are much smaller. And the difference from OBJ to M15 is that OBJ stores each vertex just once and M15 store a vertex that is used by n faces, n times. So it is normal that this is bigger. There is nothing wrong with this.
    thanks for good infos about ASC and binary files, I have really forgotten it... stressy times last week...

b)
    There are ways around this, like create your own PNG/JPG loader (who wants to use JPGs for a texture? ) and then create a texture in memory and attach it, but till this date only BMP and TGA textures are supported.
    ok, I can live with it or my capabilities became more and more so I can write an import plugin or image loader - for a race or little objects in a game I can imagine other textures can help also...

c) if I am ready with my dummy objects (landscape and more) I will build a little scene with TBGL and see what happens... moving it

see you, have a nice day, here's raining all time long, misto

lionheart

Hi Franko,

Mike basically answered the question, just few comments from my side:

M15 too big
    It is ASCII format, the biggest "grow" factor is that each polygon definition starts with POLY symbol in the file.
    On the other side, M15 has usually very good compression ratios.

0.5MB M15 usually compresses to about 80kB ZIP

Image format support
    I want to have TBGL compatible and without dependencies. You can still use GDIPLUS for example to extract RGBA data, and use TBGL_MakeTexture to create new texture.

Once ThinBASIC makes move to be XP only, I will add support for other formats, as GDIPLUS is part of Windows XP.

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

hi all, dear petr, michael and all...

"learning by doing" that's the case I am just living... and find the best way for modelling...

- the vertex count of this hovercraft object is too big sized, but it doesn't matter.. I know where I can reduce polygons...

M15 too big
    It is ASCII format, the biggest "grow" factor is that each polygon definition starts with POLY symbol in the file.
    On the other side, M15 has usually very good compression ratios.

0.5MB M15 usually compresses to about 80kB ZIP

Image format support
    I want to have TBGL compatible and without dependencies. You can still use GDIPLUS for example to extract RGBA data, and use TBGL_MakeTexture to create new texture.
    - sounds very good, that M15 hast good compression ratios... petr, thank you!

- a little example for viewing... my landscape I will finish tomorrow and a new object, then I start with a own little tbgl example... may be a good exercise to create new stuff, I like it...

- the vertexcount of my hovercraft object is too high dimensioned, but looks good only the guys they have modelled any 3d objects know perhaps about the difficulties to create "low poly objects"... the usual way is to create "big scenes with big objects" full of interesting stuffs, textures, effects... Now I am learning just the opposite way!

good evening, ciao und servus, Lionheart (Frank)

Hi Frank,

thanks for nice new model, looks like ideal mean of transport for summer trips on lakes

One tip to get into low poly modeling faster - do not use spheres and toruses too much, start with simple cube.
    You can then extrude it, drag the edges - and voila

Lot of "lazy modeling" ( lack of detail caused by need of low polycount ) can be compensated by good texture later.

Petr

hi petr

One tip to get into low poly modeling faster - do not use spheres and toruses too much, start with simple cube.
    You can then extrude it, drag the edges - and voila Smiley
    yes, quite right, I know that way, but wanted to know, how to build similar models I have created some weeks ago with cinema (box, sphere, torus)... use often extrude function... but with cinema caused the main problem... I cannot export the "hypernurbs" object with OBJ... (that's really new for me, it's a new task for me to create low poly objects!) so I must perhaps go the way through/with lightwave... that's the fact I see at the moment... the working space of cinema is much more comfortabler than lightwave but I am not wiser to find the right way... I can work fast with cinema... but with no use for creating objects for a game... I am sad...

- yes, the texture will balance the right and good looking design for objects... I will see...

ciao, Lionhead

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast