Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen and Basic syntax

Re: Oxygen and Basic syntax

Here is my proposal:

O2 will incorporate basic syntax, highly compatible with thinBasic. This will allow speed-critical sections of thinbasic source code to be dropped into Oxygen where they can be compiled and executed in machine code instead of going through the interpreter.

I have sketched out a system for doing this and it is entirely feasible to incorporate a small Basic compiler into the Oxygen module taking its present size of 135k up to around 200k.

With thinBasic 1.7, the functions can be declared and and used in the normal way.

[code=thinbasic]

uses "OXYGEN"

dim src as string

src="
    basic
    (
    function arith(byval a as long, byval b as long, byval c as long) as long
    function=a+b*c
    end function
    )
    "

o2_asmo src

if len(o2_error) then msgbox 0,"Problem: "+o2_error()+o2_view (src) : stop

Declare Function arith(byval a as long, byval b as long, byval c as long) at o2_buf 0

msgbox 0,arith(1,2,3)

[/code]

Wow Charles. I'm watching this for a long time...

O2 will incorporate basic syntax, highly compatible with thinBasic.
    and that would become very interesting. right now I'm working on my own AStar Pathfinding routines in thinBasic. Of course, it is slower than compiled code. I'm sure I want to try this in Oxygen. That should give it the speed burst it needs.

Keep up your awesome work!
    Michael

Charles,

I think this is a great great addition and will burst Oxygen usage a lot.

Thanks a lot
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Right here goes!

I think this will take about 2 months.

Oxygen Basic Outline Specification

DECLARATIVES type dim declare byval byref local static global

VARIABLE TYPES byte word dword qword long quad ext char wchar string (,,) pointer

OPERATORS + - * / \ ( ) = > < and or xor not ++ -- += -= *= /= and= or= xor= ptr * &

BLOCK STRUCTURES macro function sub gosub goto if then else elseif endif while wend do loop exit repeat select case

NUMERIC FUNCTIONS int round sin cos tan asin acos atan exp log val sqrt pi asc cvlong...

POINTER FUNCTIONS peek poke varptr strptr codeptr

STRING FUNCTIONS string$ trim$ mid$ str$ hex$ chr$() mklong$...

DIRECTIVES #ifdef #ifndef #endif #include basic(..) asm(..) o2(..)

Good move Charles,

I will keep my fingers crossed for this, as it means big jump in usability for people normally afraid of assembler.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I am in deep water here, but I had an idea. I hope I can express the idea with the correct terms.

Since thinBasic already exists, with syntax and parsing/tokenizing is done, perhaps you and Eros could work together and make a new directive that uses the current thinBasic parser/tokenizer and with the directive knows to then send the tokens to oxygen for doing its magic.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Hi Kent,

Once the compiler logic is done, there are many possibillities, for instance passing function scripts to oxygen then, if they compile, calling them instead of interpreting. This could be done behind the scenes, without requiring an explicit directive.

Another possibility is to assimilate the technology into thinCore so it can do its own JIT compiling on suitable script sections.

Oxygen could also be used as a standalone compiler. - but what am I letting myself in for ?

Reading your post it seems anything is possible Charles.

It would be neat to see a test , maybe something like a loop benchmark that perhaps counts to some high number.
    Something easy to write, but to see what sort of improvements in speed one could see.

First - thinBasic only.
    Second - Just In Time compiled
    Third - Stand alone compiled .exe

About Just In Time compilation, why make it try to select sections to compile and not just compile everything just in time?

Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Kent,

executing interpret code and just in time compiling are 2 complete different things. We cannot mix each other.
    I would wait for Charles to come out with a solution and see. It will take some time (Charles said 2 months) because things are not so simple.

As Charles showed, if we will have the possibility to define a BASIC like source code to pass to Oxygen and have back a pure machine code buffer to be linked to a DEFINE thinBasic function, WOW, it will be great! It will greatly improve execution speed by some factors because it would be like calling an external function from inside a DLL!

To me Oxygen was already a dream with ASM like syntax but with BASIC like syntax it is a dream coming true!

www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Quote Originally Posted by kent sarikaya

About Just In Time compilation, why make it try to select sections to compile and not just compile everything just in time?
    I can envisage some dynamic things normally done in an interpreter might require compiling every time they are encountered - then interpreting would be more efficient and safer - for instance Eval(..). But JIT compiling certainly gives you more flexibility than static compiling.

The other issue is the HUGE and ever growing instruction set of thinBasic and all its modules!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast