Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FBGFX module for thinBasic, to handle 2D graphics

Re: FBGFX module for thinBasic, to handle 2D graphics

No, that is what I ment. Thanks.

thinBasic MVPs

Mike from reading the FB docs it looks like its just a standard OpenGL window with some with some commands which probably generate somekind of managed displaylists.

TBGL should of been able to do this along time ago Petr :P only messing.
    Home Desktop : Windows 7 - Intel Pentium (D) - 3.0 Ghz - 2GB - Geforce 6800GS
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400
    Work Desktop : Windows 10 - Intel I7 - 4 Ghz - 8GB - Quadro Fx 370

Hi,

[OT]
    Abraxas, could you please make a post in TBGL / Suggest new features?
    I use that to check where I should go, and although I must admit we were speaking about this possiblity, I simply forgot it.

So if you could make post specifying what you need from TBGL control, I can keep it in mind more easily
    [/OT]

I did not know FreeBASIC 2D commands are OpenGL based, I thought it is just "soft" rendering to bitmap.

Thanks,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

thinBasic MVPs

Its not totally clear, it maybe a bit of both GL and some "soft" stuff.

If you have a look at the commands available they all seem possible in GL.
    Home Laptop : WinXP Pro SP3 - Intel Centrino Duo - 1.73 Ghz - 2 GB - Intel GMA 950
    Home Laptop : Windows 10 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) - 4 GB - Intel HD 4400

Hi,

reading Abraxas's posts, this module feels like it's useless. If TBGL is able to do what this module does, why should I develop it?

I've thought that I'll make new 2D module from other programming language or C++ library.
    Maybe the ClanLib that Abraxas's suggested in other post, or allegro? They seem to be much more powerfull than this...
    ¯\_†_/¯º¯¹¯²¯³¯\_†_/¯³¯²¯¹¯º¯\_†_/¯

Misthema,

no, no, no! Your module is very important!

The lines and points in OpenGL are possible, good to have them, but I would not be surprised if the performance would be lower ( in case of many entities ) than in your module.

Lines and points in TBGL/OpenGL break a bit the rasterization pipeline, so they are not a fast ones as they need special handling.

Also your FBGFX window seems to be persistent, TBGL one needs continuous redraws.

I think it will be good if you will continue your project!

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Ok... Maybe I really should continue with this.. Thanks Petr.

Also there's an update coming soon! I've changed few command names and made more commands.
    I'll let you know!

Thanks,
    misthema.
    ¯\_†_/¯º¯¹¯²¯³¯\_†_/¯³¯²¯¹¯º¯\_†_/¯

thinBasic MVPs

Dont stop the development of your module.

Even if it did the same functions as TBGL the freebasic version may be slightly faster at certain things.

I think its better to have more than 1 option to do graphics, If i was to look at DirectX(3d) and develope a module should I bother because opengl can do can do the same sort of functions, simple answer YES.

Come on I want to see this update, so carry on the good work.

Misthema,

maybe you was just making some experiment or maybe you was thinking to something more serious.

In any case, developing a thinBasic module give a great responsability because you are creating a kind of trust between you (the developer) and the users using your work. It is important to consider also the "others" in those situations. And it means: coding, listening to suggestions, being active in development, think at documentation, think to release source code or just compiled dlls. In other words: have a planning.

Again, it is your choice if to continue or not or just say "I was just making some experiment" or whatever. Up to you.
    Just consider your motivations.

Ciao and good work.
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Again, thank you for all the work you did so far.

I totally agree with Eros. It's up to you. If you don't go further, then please release the source so other people can work on it if the need to or want to.

One thing that you also should be aware of, this comunity is small and so it can take some time, if ever, someone will release some work using your module. But that should not stop you from developing modules. With your work you support thinBasic as a whole and make it more powerfull. Just like Abraxas said, the more the better.

Michael

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast