Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Asmosphere Assembler

Re: The Asmosphere Assembler

Thanks Charles,

very good improvement, we are getting higl-level here

One idea - what about CHM help file for Oxygen? If you download "Html Help Workshop", I can send you help file skeleton you could build your documentation on.

There is lot of new stuff added to the module, and after time it could be hard to track them, especially for newcomers.

What do you think?

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Yes please Petr. I was thinking of doing help documentation in simple HTML since that is a universal standard but I am willing to give CHM a try. Your CHM skeleton will be essential - I did not see anything ready made in the CHM workshop for a quick start. Microsoft are expert at hiding the important things in a mound of verbage.

I hope that, apart from the rest of the instruction set, the assembler will not require many more features. Higher level languages built on top of the assembler can do that.

Hi Charles,

here is the skeleton. Unmature, but usable I am thinking of creating "thinBASIC Module Documentation Wizard for HHW" during the summer. It would be set of scripts making docs editing easier.

How to use? Click thinbasic_o2.hhp to open Html Help Workshop, then click File/Compile and you will have your first CHM

Few notes:
    • functionlist.htm can be generated using included AutoGenerate_FunctionList.tbasic script
    • Index can be generated using included AutoGenerate_Index.tbasic script
    • Name command files like <nameofcommand>.htm, it will make everything easier
    • I recommend using PSPAD for editing the HTML files, but that is up to you

Hope it will work for you.

Petr
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Many thanks Petr. I can understand that. Writing a manual gives a strong incentive to keep features as simple as possible. There are only 4 O2 functions in the module so far, so the bulk of the manual will be about the features of Oxygen itself and the assembler.

Examples are probably the most important part of a manual since they are often easier to comprehend than an explanation, and can be used directly, or morphed into the required functionality.

With http://www.helpndoc.com you don't need a HTML editor. It is build in. ;D

I did not tried it yet,

works good! Very nice user interface, quite intuitive

Petr

Progress Report:

I'm going for the full instruction set which is dauntingly large and complex. It includes the MMX and SIMD extensions and all the legacy instructions which were necessary in 16 bit mode. I would envisage that only a fraction of these would be useful in an embedded assembler but they are going in for the sake of completeness.

The finished module should still be modest in size - for 64K, all the opcodes are in, then there remains a small amount of coding logic and error messaging to do.

The major task after this is to verify the encoding. This is not so easy since there are so many quirky groups of instructions with exceptions to the main rules.

Thanks Charles,

I would be interested in SSE and SSE2 instructions, I think they are not present in any programming language inline assembler I own, so it would be very much appreciated!

I know it is a mammoth job you do on it now, so please take your time.

Petr

AS Petr said Charles take your time. This is going to be some module that stands out in the field and really will add to thinBasic's wonderfulness!
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Further Progress

After putting the instruction set, based of appendix B, I worked my way through the entire Intel manual from A to Z, refining the model and writing a test sequence for all the instructions.
    There are so many permutations that it would not be practical to do all of them. - I have about 1000 test lines so far, which serves as a reasonable dry check. but this does not exclude the possibility of misinterpreting the manual. Some instructions are only usable with operating system priviledges, so will be difficult to check directly. Also I dont know whether the legacy 16bit segmented addressing mode will cope with the modern PC environment.

Once we move to 64 bit operating systems - the architecture is a lot cleaner. (Unfortunately instructions and registers of the 64 bit modes are inaccessible from 32 bit mode - the operating system locks you in!

There are a few additions to the Oxygen module and the language. You can execute an assembler script directly from file and also include other files in the script. Oxygen now does full label matching instead of on the first 2 characters.

Internally, the preprocessor is now separate from the assembler and constitutes another layer of translatable code,

Anyway I am currently working on a list of nonsense codes which look plausible but are impossible - these will be useful to check the error trapping.

PS
    The code Petr wrote to work with FBGFX is now working with all 3 colors - so the problem was assembler side.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast