Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCopy! #60 released.

PCopy! #60 released.

PCopy! #60 is released.

Read HTML
    Download .zip

Regular Columns:
    * From Our Editing Desk (Da Editors)
    * Submitting to PCOPY! (MystikShadows & E.K.Virtanen)
    * Letters To The Editors (Mixed Contributors)
    * In The News (Mixed Contributors)
    * Exit Issue (MystikShadows)

Articles:
    * Reliving BASIC's History In One Website (MystikShadows)
    * The Open Source Entity Demystified (MystikShadows)
    * Interview with Pete Berg (E.K.Virtanen)
    * Open Source Software For A Living (MystikShadows)

Reviews & Presentations:
    * Introduction to sdlBasic (Cybermonkey)
    * QBinux (Sebastian McClouth)

Tutorials & HowTo's:
    * The ABC of the Xblite Programmer (Guy "gl" Lonne)
    * An Xblite Primer (Guy "gl" Lonne)

Something funny should read here?

Re: PCopy! #60 released.

Thanks for new release,

I was afraid of PCOPY 60 as there were so many release date moves... very happy it is out finally!

Especially interesting for me was reading letters to the editors, I appreciate your reaction on user "offended" by too much thinBASIC. But it is good to know some readers dislike to see thinBASIC in PCOPY, although did not get the reason fully from the letter.

Regarding the PCOPY in total, I like it so far! Just one thing, in article "Reliving BASIC's History In One Website:" you can find it starts with : "Here we are, in 2007, using what we've come to consider an every day tool". Maybe there could be 2008?

Tiny detail, I know...

Just from topic headlines it seems this issue is pumed with very nice combination of topics, and will be pleasure to read.

How is going data collection for your thinBASIC population statistics ?

Thanks,
    Petr

P.S. As I prefer reading longer texts from paper rather than PC screen, I put PCOPY to text editor to print it out. It was about 50 pages! This number surprised me, as when I just scroll page in browser it is not so evident.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by Psch
    Especially interesting for me was reading letters to the editors, I appreciate your reaction on user "offended" by too much thinBASIC. But it is good to know some readers dislike to see thinBASIC in PCOPY, although did not get the reason from the letter.
    Very appreciated the reply. In any case I can understand the request.
    For PCopy future, it is better it remains independent from any specific language.

I will read with great pleasure.

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Thanks for the release. I could not read it so far, as I allways get a can't Connect to server error. Maybe in a while.
    Well, just in advance it is sad to hear that people dislike certain contributions to a free e-zine. I hope these people will contribute now more to it, not just read it and complain.

Mike,

I think their server is down, I cannot get any issue to download.
    I was lucky I catched it on the morining.

I presume they update something, if it won't be fixed till tommorow morning I will send them report.

Bye,
    Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi and thanks for the feedbacks.

For start, there were some problems with hosting service while i were at work. I noticed problem when i got back home. Now, seems like things are solved and magazine is back online.
    I dont have any information what was the problem, but i trust my hosting provider will let me know asap.

Especially interesting for me was reading letters to the editors, I appreciate your reaction on user "offended" by too much thinBASIC. But it is good to know some readers dislike to see thinBASIC in PCOPY, although did not get the reason from the letter.
    That letter was something i wondered lots of. At first, it should not be seen as a bad thing.
    There is huge amounts of bitterness between different basic dialect users, and i personally think this letter was one "side effect" of it.
    Who knows, maybe a person behind of that email is someone ex-user of thinBasic who just didnt get what he wanted or something...
    I have hes email and i actually did ask why he thinks like he told but i did not got reply.

By any means, i do not wish that one letter effects in any way for contributions from thinBasic community.
    Quality and general level of contributions about thinBasic is great, and i dont see why it should be changed just because of one letter.

Releasing date was forced to move since there were few articles which took way more time than we expected. Interview delayed for weeks since it was busy time for both sides of interview.
    I was sure some delays will come since december is busy for peoples, but it did still surprise me how much it actually did took.

I did receive even one more correction for one article after i released this issue, but i decided not to delay anymore.

How is going data collection for your thinBASIC population statistics ?
    Sorry man. No matter how friendly and nice community this is, peoples are bit lazy to answer things like this
    Something funny should read here?

I don't think the poster of that letter didn't like thinkBASIC, I think he just thought that issue of PCOPY! was I guess overstuffed with thinBASIC contents (compared to other BASIC contents in that same issue is all.

Me, I don't mind, we post what we get in PCOPY! the reaction shouldn't be "hey, there's too much of this or too much of that in this issue." I think it should rather raise a challenge to other BASIC user groups and communities to balance things off by contributing more about the dialects they want to see in PCOPY!

I think it's a miss read letter ;(.
    When God created light, so too was born, the first Shadow!<br /><br />MystikShadows

I had time to read it now. Great issue! I'm looking forward to the new look as I find the durrent look a little difficult to read. But anyway, great job as allways.

Quote Originally Posted by MystikShadows
    I think it's a miss read letter ;(.
    Yes, it can be, but in any case it doesn't matter too much because everyone is entitled to have any opinion. As developers we have to accept that our own products can be loved or hated at the same time. And there is nothing we can do other than trying to improve our product following our ideas and at the same time be open to user suggestions.

For me the point is that your reply was on target, I mean you described your editorial line clearly: you publish whatever contribution you get. So you are a free zine and give voices to who have something to say on any Basic.

Keep up the good job you are doing.
    Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Really good issue!,

I liked the OpenSource related articles by MystikShadows, the other articles are very good too.
    PCOPY really goes up with each issue released.

There is still one problem - I get weird characters displayed for example in "Qbinux by Sebastian McClouth" and "The ABC of the Xblite Programmer by Guy "gl" Lonne". On other places too.

Cause? There are 127+ ASCII codes, which usually serve for special letters or indicate problems.
    How to get rid of problems? Use thinBASIC of course

To clean the issue from "bad characters" I used following minimalistic script.
    [code=thinbasic]
    ' -- Tiny script to fix codepage (?) problems in PCOPY #60

uses "UI"
    uses "FILE"

dim sFile as string = dialog_OpenFile( 0, "Select PCOPY file", APP_SOURCEPATH, _
    "HTML files|*.htm*", "htm*", _
    %OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST OR %OFN_HIDEREADONLY or %OFN_ENABLESIZING )
    if len(sFile) = 0 then
    msgbox 0, "No file, no work for the script"
    stop
    end if

dim sBuffer as string = FILE_LOAD(sFile)

sBuffer = remove$( sBuffer, CHR$(226, 128, 157))
    sBuffer = remove$( sBuffer, CHR$(226, 128, 156))

sBuffer = replace$( sBuffer, CHR$(195, 169), "é")
    sBuffer = replace$( sBuffer, CHR$(195, 159), "B ")
    sBuffer = replace$( sBuffer, CHR$(226, 128, 153), "'")

file_Save(APP_SOURCEPATH+"Corrected_PCOPY60.htm", sBuffer)
    msgbox 0, "File saved as:"+$CRLF+APP_SOURCEPATH+"Corrected_PCOPY60.htm"
    [/code]

Converted file is attached in case Linux users ( ) cannot run thinBASIC, but in other case script will do the job too.

Thanks,
    Petr
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast