Thread: A-Star module

A-Star module

Hi Randall,

so far I had time to go though your Maze script only. I should have some more time during the week-end to explore ASTAR module in more details to better understand how it is connected with script and see if I can contribute with another example, maybe a console Maze solving like you did on GUI.

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Re: A-Star module

Thanks Eros,

I welcome any and all suggestions for improvement. As you will see as you dig into it, it is not very flexible. My first objective was just to get something working, now I can improve it and make it more useful and easier to use.

I'm not very happy with the data structure I'm using; I would prefer have an array of UDT's to define the map, rather than individual arrays. I don't know "C" well enough to understand if an array of "C" structs would be the same in memory as an array of thinBasic UDT's.

I'll probably need to build into the module a mechanism to decouple the module from the calling application. In other words, make the module not be dependent on a specific data structure in the calling application.

I think I can work something out.... lots more work to do....

Michael Hartlef kindly gave me some pointers on what the module needs from a game developers viewpoint, so I will be working towards making the module easy to use for game development. Thanks again, Michael !

Randall

Re: A-Star module

Quote Originally Posted by Randall
    I don't know "C" well enough to understand if an array of "C" structs would be the same in memory as an array of thinBasic UDT's.
    Randall,

UDT structures are very compatible with other languages structures (C included) providing that
    • elements are the same sequence and type
    • you can live, for the moment, without recursive structures (UDT inside UDT).
      Recursive structures can be defined (parser understand them and create correct sized memory areas) but not used (parser is not able to get elements inside elements and so on)

In any case if you encounter any problem, we are here to try to help, fix, improve all what we can.

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000