Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connection to other modules?

Connection to other modules?

Hi Eros,

I not sure if you remember, but at one time we talked about the subject that it would be nice if you can call functions from other modules inside a module.

Is this allready possible? if not; Is it still planned?

Michael

Re: Connection to other modules?

I think Roberto talket about that in order to be able to gain some coding time and lines.
    So far it is not possible other than knowing exact function numeric enumerator.

What idea do you have? Maybe I can do something (not in the short time).

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

An example, mmmh?

Petr's TBGL module is great. As an old Blitz3D user I love Blitz3D's entity system. When you say renderworld, it does all the dirty transformation job for you. With one set of functions, you HANDLE CAMERAS; LIGHTS; MESHES.
    So for an example, some kind of module that does that. Connects to TBGL, and calls these functions that are needed to render a complete scene.

Or introduce render-scene-nodes in TBGL ?

I was thinking of it too as it could save another parsing time. Cannot promise anything now, but ...

Thanks,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Well, the idea seems fantastic but modules were not designed for this purposes. Modules talk with Core and Core talks with modules. That was the original idea.
    Also considering the way module functions have to call Core functions to parse script code ... I wonder how to do it other than developing:
    1. all the needed functions inside the module as native script keywords
    2. develop general purpose dll exporting functions

In any case, request is quite interesting. We need to share / shake some more our brain cells. Any idea is welcome.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHart
    An example, mmmh?

Petr's TBGL module is great. As an old Blitz3D user I love Blitz3D's entity system. When you say renderworld, it does all the dirty transformation job for you. With one set of functions, you HANDLE CAMERAS; LIGHTS; MESHES.
    So for an example, some kind of module that does that. Connects to TBGL, and calls these functions that are needed to render a complete scene.
    Mike, this suggestion is worth a new TBGL specific request. The idea of the world is really powerful because you move a lot of the script complexity directly inside TBGL module leaving to programmer the duty to deal with more high level details. So this is something Petr will for sure take into account. Please open a new request in TBGL dedicated forum.

Back to your request, a possible example I can think: the DATE module contains a lot of date manipulation functions used by module internal keywords functions. If you develop another module and needs some specific date function why reinvent the wheel, just get them from DATE module. The same for other aspects like math or stats I suppose.

Well, there can be some different roads. I can see two right now.
    • export from modules those functions that are enough generic to be used separately from the rest
    • export from modules a new dedicated function to be used to create a bridge between internal generic fucntions and external modules in need of such functionalities

Just thinking in public ...

Ok, I will make a request to Petr then.

I don't know if you guys used Aurora, but in their the 3D is similar it sounds like to what Mike is describing in Blitz Basic. But since that was object oriented I didn't know if the same sort of system could be done in tbgl.

I am months from being able to add anything useful to thinBasic with my powerBasic studies. I realize I have way more to learn than I thought. Starting with the api programming, that will take a couple of months to get through and then to learn the sdk's that Jose has converted. But it will pay off in the end.

In the meantime it will be interesting to see what you guys come up with.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

No, AURORA is different.

Well now I am intrigued by the Blitz method, will have to read more in depth. Thanks Mike.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast