View Poll Results: So what games do you like to play?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Car racing games

7 17.07%
  • RPG board games

3 7.32%
  • Real Time strategy

5 12.20%
  • Simulations

3 7.32%
  • 3D Shooter

3 7.32%
  • Card games

2 4.88%
  • Mathematical games

2 4.88%
  • Puzzles

4 9.76%
  • Adventures

6 14.63%
  • Board Games

4 9.76%
  • Other sport games

1 2.44%
  • Other (please specify)

1 2.44%
  • I like ALL!!

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what games do you like to play?

Re: So what games do you like to play?

I did not put "Train Simulators" without a reason as I play the lot. If there's a train sim out there I have it on my computer. Mostly I play Trainz, BVE, ZUSI and MSTS. They all have their good and bad points and which one you are going to use most really depends on what you are after.

If you want great outdoor scenery, thousands of available models and the overall eye candy than Trainz is definitely the sim of choice. It's also important to know that this is the only AAA train sim still in active development. Last but not least, I am the beta tester for Trainz so if you don't have it yet, you know what to do or I'll come to haunt you (with a big locomotive) in your dreams... ;D

MSTS is great when it comes to operational side of train simulation but it's worthy to note that creating proper scenario is not easy and requires a lot of skill and experience. Scenery is not as good as with Trainz, something that MSTS fans would vehemently oppose but that is a fact of life and does not mean that the MSTS scenery is bad. It's just not as good as Trainz's scenery. The biggest problem is, MSTS is no longer developed by MS. Apparently the same team that gave us the latest Flight Simulator is now working on MSTS 2 but God only knows when/if that one will appear.

BVE is a train sim created by a Japanese studene in VB and it is free. Once we found out (back in 2000-2001) how it works, it very quickly overtook the western rail sim world. It is a cab dimulator i.e. you can't "fly" outside the train. The camera is firmly fixed inside the cab and gives you driver's view of the rail track and surrounding countryside. As far as rail sims go BVE is by far the best in terms of physics and the overall feel of actually driving the train. There's a large number of routes available and some of them are downright fantastic. Most notably a Birmingham X-Cross South route by Anthony Bowden. You just don't believe your eyes when you are running the train down that route. So, if you haven't tried it yet, I heartily recommend BVE. Trainsimcentral site is a great place to start. The sim can only be loaded on main Japanese site. It's (as you may expect) in japanese so you can also use babelfish translation services.

ZUSI or Zug Simulator is a german train sim with relatively simple graphics but excellent driving and physics model. It follows german railway rules so it may not be of interest to non-german and especially non-european peopel but it's worth checking it out.

Barney

Hey thanks a lot for the info on trains sims.

Petr, did you ever came over the WinterMute engine at http://www.dead-code.org ?
    As an adventure fan, it might be something for you. Also my friend Lee is currently creating version 2 of his own engine (BlitzBackdrop) and developing an adventure with it. I think he will release it after that. Will be definately worth to have a look at http://www.gamelab3d.com .

Hi Mike,

I know about WinterMute, here is quite popular but as adventure games are long time run not much people finishes the work.
    I personally have idea for huge game project, but it would suit better in action-adventure style... but I would like to make a good job on our TopDown pet now
    Not good plan enough for good adventure game now.

Your friend website looks ... scary, but in good sense. I am curious what will come out from him!

One of my friends plays a lot MSTS, he has 6GB of mods for it now and he dislikes Trainz. So it is question of view and personal preferences, as with all.

Thanks,
    Petr

Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Has anyone tried "caTrain"? It's a program that let's you make a model train layout and run trains on it. It's freeware. I sometimes play around with it and like it.

Thanks
    Sandy

Isn't that one called Eisenbahn.exe in Germany? Excellent for modellers, but not really a train sim.

Barney

not really a train sim.
    I know. I just wanted to know if anyone else played around with it.

Isn't that one called Eisenbahn.exe in Germany?
    I don't know. I don't know anything about that. I've only seen the english version.

Sandy

This post was perfect for a Poll post.
    Mike, may be you can add one.
    If so, I will merge it with this post.

PS: I've moved this topic into Gamig forum.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Can you add the poll?

Created a new poll topic and merged with old one.
    Please suggest new genres and I will add them to the list.
    5 maximum votes per users are possible.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Remove "Space simulations" and replace it with "Simulations". Flight Sim, Train Sim, Ship Sim are all simulations but not really in space but on this earth and infinitely more interesting.

Barney

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast