Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinBasic, like PHP?

thinBasic, like PHP?

Eros, I know we talked about this awhile back, but I couldn't find where. So I decided to ask it again.
    If thinBasic is used on a server, would it be like using PHP? How would it work?

I am setting up a test server at home for my old boss to develop ideas. So I thought since I am setting that up, maybe we can experiment with thinBasic and how it can be used?

I remember you had told me that I would need access to the server completely to allow thinBasic server, so in this case it will be so as hosted on as it turns out not a 486, but pentium 100 mhz. I am getting wamp setup on it for my old boss's test site. I can also setup thinBasic if it will work with apache, mysql and php running. I just don't know where thinBasic would fit in, but am anxious to try now that the opportunity here.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Re: thinBasic, like PHP?

Yes, it can be used exactly like PHP but we have never used under Apache and never tested MySql connection.
    Quite sure you can use MySql if ODBC drivers for MySql are installed. Do not know anything about Apache and how to integrate 3rd party server side script.

We have a test site at http://cgi.thinbasic.com but will implement it in next months.

If you get any result let us know.

Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Eros, your link worked and I saw the link for the view source code. Unlike php, you are outputting with echo statements instead of html tags?

Can we output using css style sheets and html as well?

Can you tell me what files I have to put onto my server to test it?

You can use this layout for an example of where things belong:

my main server folder: c:/www

all my apps, like mysql, apache, php are all in as:
    c:/www/php
    c:/www/mysql
    c:/www/apache2

I assume something would go for thinBasic here in the c:/www/thinBasic ?

My server uses this folder to serve from, this where all users go to see my site, they can't or shouldn't be able to access the other areas in www.

c:/www/site/public

If you can tell me using these paths where I should put what, we can see what happens. And troubleshoot from there.
    I am running on a windows98 system so I spent all last night installing php4 and mysql 3. something so it works on windows98.

Thanks, exciting to experiment with this stuff!!
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600

Hi kryton,

strings passed as parameter for echo seems to be able to contain HTML, CSS, ... ( in <style></style> tag ) like PHP.
    Maybe you are confused there is no code for header / footer of page, but this is hidden in include files.

With configuration I can't help, we should wait till Eros is back

Bye,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi Kryton,

Can we output using css style sheets and html as well?
    Yes, if you take a look to the Header.tBasic file you'll find both the STYLE.CSS file and the HTML statements.

Can you tell me what files I have to put onto my server to test it?
    Try to replicate the same page at http://cgi.thinbasic.com/

You can use this layout for an example of where things belong:
    I don't understand if you are talking about APACHE server's settings or ThinBASIC settings?
    About ThinBASIC settings did you take a look to the thinBasicCGI.config configuration file at http://www.thinbasic.com/public/prod...tml/index.html ?

Ciao,
    Roberto
    http://www.thinbasic.com

Thanks Petr and Roberto, I see from the information you provided more information to read up on that will guide me.
    Thanks, I will work on it this week and if I can't get it going I will ask some more questions. Thanks for the replies.

Looking through the apache configuration file. PHP support for instance is setup differently than Perl. PHP seems to not be seen as a cgi appliction language, but Perl is. I am assuming then that thinBasic would be setup as Perl is, since in the link above I see CGI in the setup screens for Abyss?

Hi Eros,

I get a 403 error when i try to access that link above.

Cheers
    Michael

Yes, consider CGI module death till someone will take over it.
    Roberto will no more work on it so at the moment priority on it is zero.

If in future there will be some real interest I will try to hand over. Module is quite complex so working on it requires that there will be real interest.

www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Thanks for the info. Is the current module release usable?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.