Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TopDown Story Skeleton

Re: TopDown Story Skeleton

Thanks Mike, no we will do this game of course, but if we plan on having more games, it would be neat to sort of at least out the basis of an arcing storyline and what would be in what game type. And then we can make this one self complete, but if we moved on it would be very nice to continue the story with some good planning and give the fans that extra joy in works planned this way.

Just think about it and the types of games you always wanted to make and we can see what we come up with, 1 game at a time, but with some planning.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHart
    Let's stay with our 8 mission starter game first. When we have it done like we want to, we will see much better how much effort it was and can estimate better any other project. Let's start small, or it will fail.
    Well I'm with Mike here. I've been apart looking at all those nice stories but it seems that now concentration on the game has been lost.
    I think this game should help to
    • find a good way to collaborate
    • develop some kind of general code to be re-used, let's say a sort of game engine
    • list all the possible activities to be considered when developing a game
    • but also, write that game

Now we have a 8/9 Mb game full of candy but the game engine is not there. Also functionalities, enemy AI, levels, big boss levels, different armours, 3D movements, and many other game related activities are gone.

Ok, those are my critics. But I have also to be propositive.
    What about restarting with a list of To Do things giving priorities?
    Story is important, multimedia part is important, but if the game is not evolving they are nothing.
    Decision can also be to stop here with TopDown3D and jump into another project. Important is to take that decision.

What do you think? I can be completelly wrong, so please correct me.
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hi Eros,

you are right. I got too excited by the possiblities that I forgot to code.

I would like to decompone each mission from just technological point of view now. This would allow me to get focused on features engine should be able to do.

I am at school now, I will post more ideas when I'll be back home.

So back to reality , lets keep talking about original game plan as Mike suggested.

Thanks a lot,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I am all for focusing, but the story does lead to the programming big time. For instance in today's discussion about the story, you can see the need for transparency control of meshes. New movement ideas for the level came out. So they work together I think.

I think we all agree, topdown3d as it is top priority and with in that the 2 game types, instant action and story based, instant action is the priority as we can get that done so much easier and have a full fledged game that works great.

I think a priority schedule for these goals is a great idea.

That is where a wiki or some sort of collab tool comes in handy as we make these lists and they sort of get lost in the posts. But one place that is updated will make it easier to keep notes and progress updates.

For instance why not make a priority list for instant action and let's finish that first then. Since story is not concern for that game mode.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600

Tech Question

Guys, just as in our society today. We have cars that are at the cutting edge of technology and sleekness factor, while we also still have old cars that are clunkers.

I was thinking our universe would probably carry on the same way into the future. So for example, transport corporations, the top firms would have shiny new ships with the latest technology in all fronts, maybe even some impulse, or gravity space warping.
    On the other end, Luna Transports would be the cheap solution. Using old equipment and offering that cheap alternative and under the radar type profile.

I will make the Luna Transports, especially early on mission ships low tech. You will see rocket nozzles and landing pads. I will make them with no weapons at first and then we talk about how to retro fit weapons on them, as I am sure bossman, I mean Antony McBurton, or a.k.a. TonyMac, TMac would figure a way to mount weapons onto his ships if needed but as retrofits, not new ships with weapons as part of the design.

But this does not mean the rest of the worlds are like this. There can be all sorts of ships from ultra cool mouth watering sexy designs, to utilitarian designs and everything in between.

What do you guys think?

Yip, that sounds good. Each race means humans and the enemys will have different technologies anyway. Having one race consistant is important. But can also show age differences in the designs for sure. I guess that it is only important for the human (UWF).
    The enemy races should have a constant themedesign in their ships like I tried (The round shaped wings). I allready imagine a big mother ship, beeing a big disc with a huge opening for a landing bay at the front. But in the style of the cyclon motherships in battlestar galactica. Just one half of it. I think it would be a nice cutscene, seeing the mothership infront of a planet, launching Stinkybugs at mass.

I agree Mike only for us Humans as that is what makes us so different, we have a wide diverse tastes and likes. Our society sure shows that. So that will be neat to see the diversity we have, yet the sort of consistant attack fleets and designs.

Your mothership launching the stink bug attack sounds incredible!! It starts as words and then becomes reality, I know it is not too far into the distant future. That is a neat description of a scene for sure!!

Again nice ideas !

That would be nice to have this variety.
    I would like to see some rusty half wrecks , it adds much to "reality feeling".
    Can't wait for first models !

Thanks,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12