Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Space environment creator by kryton9

Re: Space environment creator by kryton9

Hi Guys, thanks for the posts! And Eros thanks for the new area for Galaxy Nebula Star Creator.
    I know the program is more of a space environment. I also tried to "cash" in on the vista hype
    with the name Space Vista Designer.... but my first name and what I had used, was still my favorite.
    It doesn't seem as daunting or professional sounding and more like a fun toy.

I spent the whole day and night drawing and redrawing maps. I got good with the mouse that is for sure.
    I priced out Wacom tablets, the nice ones are not cheap, so I decided to mouse my way through

I am happy to report Alpha Version 1.7 is ready.

While clicking endlessly making stars and then blurring and then clicking... it occured to me that I can design
    the dll much better using OOP. I didn't really use classes other than what Delphi makes for you. I will tinker with
    tests, to see if I can make classes that will make it easier to add new ideas and components in the future.
    If those tests work, then this will be the last of this versions development path.
    If the tests fail, then well back to good old reliable that it is, it will be foundation for more work.

Two things to know when using the program. Escape to exit and Alt+Tab to bring the toolbox panel to the front.
    AND of course, have lots of fun!!!

Many more features are planned to come and things to make it even easier to do common tasks.
    Instead of an empty screen, I did setup a nice scene and so you can start tinkering with it right away.

I am using Galaxies as sort of the light, glow and also its own nebula galaxy (using the color adjusters for it). Nebulae
    can just be that or nice combined with Galaxies. I tried to draw maps for both that could be mixed and matched to
    give lots and lots of combos. Scaling, rotating, positioning and color adjusting the options seem endless.

Well enjoy and thanks for the inspiration and energy you guys give me daily!!
    edited: the latest files links are in the first post of this thread
    http://community.thinbasic.com/index...sg3506#msg3506
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

I think I got the initial picture wrong then. By Cinematics I thought about rendering little movies
    inside 3D packages with high poly models. Or by comic book I thought about rendered pictures.
    Mike, that is what I was thinking too, that is as you thought right above in the quote.

I thought if we knew how to bone the models in m15, we can design our models with that in mind. Shuttle Hatches opening,
    Robots moving. Just we could think about maybe making key components in parts to be used if and when we need it.

I guess once we flesh out the story more we can decide what needs detail and what doesn't.

It would be nice to do all you listed in your list. Maybe sometime in the future.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600

P.S. kryton, m15 posing is easy ... relatively Smiley.
    Using layer defined bones it is simplier, but it fits only things like robots/rigid bodies.
    Using classic bounding box way is quite ok, but sometimes it is hard to define bones this way.
    Maybe it would be easier if you could me pass sample model of character when ready and I could show it on it ?
    Petr, I was thinking at this stage for the ships, robots etc. Maybe the ship when coming into a landing bay can fold its wings,
    the cockpit hatch could open, cargo doors could open etc. It would be neat to know how we could animate those, wether with bones or with coding. Just thinking about it now.

I will get back to redoing my ships. Now that we can see them in the game it will be easier to work to get the look we want!

Just made a backdrop with GNSC and put it in the game.

Just press printscreen in the program. Escape to exit, go to paint and paste. Save as bmp. go into photo editor and resize the image to 512x512 and save the bmp to the texture folder overwriting:
    k9 space 01.bmp in the Textures\instant action level 01 folder to use your own custom background

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi kryton,

congratulations ! this is very, very good tool.
    I like the controls and the output a lot !

Few ideas:
    * SPACE to bring back the dialog instead of alt-tabing
    * REM out console as it is not used now

It is really very good tool, I am having a great fun with it !
    The screenshot looks very nice !

Regarding animations, I will create new thread for it.

Bye and THANKS,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Good suggestions Petr, Thanks. Glad you liked it.

Very very good job Kent, now let's make some suggestions. ;D No, I know you have plenty ideas and I will wait and see what will you implement. Really great job. Just a question, can you explain the 4 color values again, please?

Glad you liked it Mike.

About the color values: Before you do any rotations to the map, the colors correspond to the vertex number of the quad the map is applied to.

So:
    color 1 is top left corner
    color 2 is top right corner
    color 3 is bottom right corner
    color 4 is bottom left corner

I just think like color 1 and color 3 are opposite corners
    color 2 and color 4 are opposite corner colors. The reason is once you apply rotations it gets confusing.
    But when you change the color and see where it effects the map, then you know ok I am on color 1, so to change to opposite
    corner color I change color 3.

Update: I made the small tweaks Petr had requested, as they were good and easy to do.
    The update contains the latest thinBasic script, the latest dll and a new empty folder screenshots.

Spacebar will bring the toolbox panel to the front now.
    S will take a screenshot and save into the screenshot folder.
    For now I am naming the files InstantActionBackground00x.bmp. These files will need to be resized to 512 x 512 to look right in the game.

I decided for now to get this project working just enough to use for our game development. I am going to scale back on my stand alone version of it, in fact put it on hold, so I can get back to working on the game.

I thought of a quick way to do many of the things I wanted to add, without doing it in the program for now.
    A very quick work around.

Complex Scenes:
    Step 1 - Make your galaxy and or nebula.
    Don't have any stars or just put stars where the nebula galaxy are.
    Save screenshot.

Step 2 - Now bring in the stars the way you like with the galaxy nebula.
    Now fade out the galaxy nebula and have only the stars.
    Take a screen shot.
    Step 2 is only done once for the project.

Step - 3 Repeat Step 1 for each galaxy nebula you would like to add. Step 2 is not repeated.

Now go into The Gimp or Photoshop and assemble the screenshots into a complex scene.
    You can scale, position rotate all the screenshots in those applications and make a master scene and then save
    to 512 x512. I figure since we have to go in there anyways to resize the images we might as well use those apps
    powers with our tool to get what we want
    If this sounds complicated let me know I can make a video tutorial.

Attached: complex scene made in about 15 minutes with the steps outlined above

edited: the latest updates are in the first post.
    http://community.thinbasic.com/index...sg3506#msg3506
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ken,

the more I use your Module the more my mouth remain open with an "oooooooooooooh" sound coming out.
    Really fantastic job. In future I hope to be able to add more power to User Interface module in order to be able to create so complex window full of gadgets.

Little tip in your source code. Not to ditribute an empty directory add the following before taking the screenshots:
    [code=thinbasic]
    IF DIR_EXISTS(APP_SOURCEPATH+"ScreenShots\") = 0 then DIR_MAKEALL(APP_SOURCEPATH+"ScreenShots\")
    [/code]

DIR_MakeAll is a powerful function that automatically creates the full passed path.
    In this case you can also use DIR_Make if you prefer.

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Eros, thanks so much for the wonderful comments!!

Also thanks very much for that tip about the directory and making when needed. It will definitely be put in right away!!! Thanks will make the code that much better for sure.

added later: script updated and is in the first post. Thanks again.

Petr, Eros, Mike and Roberto
    I address to all of you because I think we need to put our heads together on this one and come up with a great solution.
    On the same note about the bmp files and what all is happening...
    Here is a thought I had and wondered where in the workflow we are missing the parts to make all of this happen fully.

First here is the way I think everything is working at the moment:
    We load a bmp file with for example: tbgl_loadtexture "\textures\k9Stars00.bmp",x, %tbgl_tex_mipmap
    This wonderful command is opening and loading up a bmp file and getting it ready to be used as a texture.
    I am not sure at this point of how it is being stored.
    Is it stored as a bmp or as something special to make it a texture in a buffer somewhere?

The we draw our objects, effects and everything that is tbgl and it is being drawn to what I assume is a back buffer.
    Then when we say tbgl_drawframe
    It flips the back buffer to the front buffer and then the back buffer is free again to be drawn too.

Now when tbgl_SaveScreenShot is used it takes obviously that information on the front buffer and saves it out as a bmp.
    Does this mean everything is stored in the buffer as a bmp or is there a conversion taking place?

What would be neat is to be able to draw to the screen as we are and instead of saving a screenshot save it to texture memory as if we had loaded a bmp file and also scale it down to 512 x 512 at the same size.

The reason for asking this. Think about it, we just distribute a few bmp's that will be the core engine maps, as I have in the galaxy maker. But with those few maps and code we could generate infinite amount of maps. No need for hundreds of bmp files. In Fact I am thinking of writing an output file as Petr has done for the ship models, these would be background text files and could generate the backgrounds on the fly via code without having to load a bmp for each background.
    This would be a very powerful asset as we could use this method for all sorts of texture creation to be used everywhere. Worlds, planets, walls, floors, terrain and on and on. Then we could just add little bmp files less than 64x64 for details, like signs, or logos to items.

The other thing is something Mike had brought up. That is being able to play media files. Since this ties into tbgl and thinBasic and requires some hard core coding, it will require us all to come up with a way.

I looked NeHe's lesson 35 as Mike mentioned. I got it to work in both C++ and Delphi, well I downloaded the already made projects, but still sometimes those projects don't work
    http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons....asp?lesson=35
    I am able to open avi files, but not wmv files. I found wmv's to be the best because they are still great in quality but small size usually 10 to 1 sometimes even greater compression. Divx and Xvid are good, but wmv is supported in windows by default so no need to worry about codecs being on someone's computer.

In DarkBasic Pro I am able to use wmv files as textures, it plays the sound as well as the video on any object used as a texture. This is really a powerful tool. And one we should have in our tool box. I know it is possible as it is done in DarkBasic Pro and it plays wmv files.

So with the 2 ideas and these were sort of touched upon in other posts, but I think we all need to get together and figure out a solution.
    Since Eros and Roberto know WIN API inside and out, Mike and Petr know more than I do. But I know it can be done. I have been digging and can taste the honey, but can't reach it. I will be glad to do any task to make these happen. I just need guidance and direction. I think you guys are in a position to know how and where these features should be placed and used within the language.

Hope we can get a good start on these, the sooner they are in our toolbox the sooner we can design and use them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast