Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blender export to M15 file format

Re: Blender export to M15 file format

Quote Originally Posted by Psch
    Just little suggestion - would it be possible to type in console "Export completed" or something like that ?
    I see what I can do. I don't know the Blender API that well. What I did was studying the other export scripts, and read the manual. Also my own editor gave me more trouble than needed so I switched to Programmers Notepad and from then it went smoothly.

Now I can see just that lamps and cameras are not supported.

It can be, if the M15 file format will support it one day

Very nice work, still amazes me how fast done ;)

I didn't reinvent the wheel, just put 1+1 together. And as you see, that script isn't that big. Most of the time I was struggling to got the info at the point when I needed it. Most file format have seperate chunks of faces, vertices, uv-coords, etc etc. The M15 fileformat stores each vertex of a face, also redundant vertices that were allready stored from a face that used it before.

So next update will have hopefully that Finished Export Message.

No problem Mike,

I just had to find some problems in your working product ;D

Looking forward to new versions,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Thanks again Mike, really nice what you have and are doing!!

Glad it is working now for you Petr.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Quote Originally Posted by Psch
    I just had to find some problems..
    To me problems/bugs/etc. are just unwanted features ;D

Blender and Python: Ok even with Release 2.43 Blender, you need Python 2.44 and not 2.5

I just spend my whole afternoon and most of my evening trying to figure that out. I guess I should have started reading sooner than thinking I was missing a step from the other day Just wanted to save anyone else from headaches.

So if you see Blender complaining about no python installed and you do have it installed, it is the version problem.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600

Yeah, there are topics about this on the blender forums. They say that you can change the required version inside the blender sources to 2.5 and then compile it. Should work then with 2.5 too.

Thanks Mike for the info. I am not at a point to compile my own Blender from source yet

The Texture Baking Example appeared tonight on blender's site. So I downloaded the example.
    Using the scripts from the menus doesn't work, even in their version, but using the shortcut Keys, CTRL+ALT B seems to work, at least on their example.

So here is Cornelius the Blender Monkey Example Texture Baked and Exported out with Mike's handy dandy m15 exporter for blender.
    Just put the untitled.bmp into your texture folder and the m15 file into your model folder and have a look in thinEdge or I guess could be loaded into thinBasic too.

Now to see if I can get it to bake a simple cube on my own, then I can get back to modeling. Wasted the whole day trying to get baking to work. At least I know it does work in a strange way and now will try again.

In my frustration with Blender earlier, I tinkered with wings3d, wow you can really model quickly in that. I guess then export into Blender and do the other stuff. It should be faster for low poly modeling and things like ships. So something else to consider. It has lots of nice shorcut keys too and also everything is right mouse click available, really neat interface.

Hope the monkey appears nicely for you guys too.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I will look at it tonight as I'm at work now. Yes, use the tools that fit the job the most and where you are
    the most comfortable with. I modelled in Hexagon, layed out the UV map un Unwrap3D, painted the texture in Photoshop and import/exported with Blender. I'm not familiar with Blenders material concept and so far were not
    successfull with it. I'm interested in this texturebacking stuff too, as I can imagine that you can get nice results
    from it. But for this I have to understand it first, how to set different materials to different faces.

Wings3D seems to be great for polygon modeling. I never touched it but I hear good things about it. Hexagon is the
    first modeling app that I felt really comfortable with. And I spent a fortune on graphic stuff.

On my harddrive sits

Animation Master 2003, TrueSpace 6.6, Carrara Pro 5, Hexagon 2, Silo 1.4, Photoshop 6, Corel Draw 10,
    Anime Studio Pro 5, Manga Studio 3 EX,

Same goes for Music apps, but not that many. When you think about it, there are so many free alternatives,
    and really good ones. These ones I use sometimes:

Blender, Inkscape, Artweaver, Paint.NET, Audacity, Krystal Audio Engine

What I learned is, you can go on searching all your life. But if you do wanna get something done, then
    try to stick with a tool or two and try to learn it. Same goes for programming languages. A friend of mine
    and I were searching for the holy grail game engine. We wasted so much time jumping from engine
    to engine that we never got to finish our game. Use the tools you have, learn them and use them.

Michael

What you say is true Mike, but I think those of use curious will always keep looking and trying. The problem is each app seems to have advantages and disadvantages, the same with languages. But with a good workflow to do what you want with a set of tools is my goal now as I realize the one holy grail app like you said will never be.

I had truespace long time ago, actually started with it. I really enjoyed it. Then from that met a friend who got me into Lightwave. He let me use his apps as he didn't have time. He had a zillion lightwave magazines too, So that was lots of fun. Then I did some graphics work and ran into this guy at a tv station and he told me about 3dsmax. How he dreamed of owning that. Well he eventually did and has been using it since. He let me borrow one of his Max's as the station had some too. So I used that and really learned that pretty well, not expert, but enough to model and texture bake. But I had to send his copy back. Anyways make a long story short, was thinking of buying gamespace, truespace again, I wrote to them, my version I had owned was too old to quality for any upgrade.

Wings3d makes modeling really fun and is really fast interface. And now Blender has good texture baking and with your export program we have a great way to get it into our programs and of course the rock solid coding by the thinBasic team of Eros, Roberto and Petr.

Well, off to sleep. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. Have good day guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHart
    What I learned is, you can go on searching all your life. But if you do wanna get something done, then
    try to stick with a tool or two and try to learn it. Same goes for programming languages. A friend of mine
    and I were searching for the holy grail game engine. We wasted so much time jumping from engine
    to engine that we never got to finish our game. Use the tools you have, learn them and use them.
    I could not agree more !

It is like real life. If you want to have good friends you must accept pro and cons of them. At long terms, pro will be much much higher than cons only if you stay with them!
    One of the foundation of science is curiosity but at some point some of the tools must be mastered as "friends" and stay with them even if other are more smart or clever in some aspects.

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast