Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blender export to M15 file format

Blender export to M15 file format

Hi folks,

attached is the first version of a M15 export script for Blender (2.43 and up) .

The zip file includes a converted fighter model from PSIONIC3D. I don't call the script done, but the first test were very successful and I want you to give the opportunity to play with it. So far it supports material color and material texture. Later only the first material texture.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers
    Michael

Edit: If your blender texture is a JPG, the export script renames it automatically, but the texture has to be renamed manually. Also you have to copy the texture by hand too. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Blender export to M15 file format

Hi Mike,

congratulations !

Could you please for us, not-native Blenderians , describe how to install your script properly ?
    Attached m15 model ( very nice ! ) loads ok in thinEdge.

Thanks a lot,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi Petr,

look for this path in your blender installation:

.Blender\scripts

On my computer it is c:\programme\Blender Foundation\Blender\.Blender\scripts

There you should find allready a bunch of python scripts, all ending with .py.
    Just copy the script over there. To export in Blender, select you mesh, click on
    menu File\Export... and there down the end you should see the thinEdge M15 entry.

Like I said, this is the first version. I want to add the following stuff over time:

1. Variable rotation for all axes
    2. Variable Scaling for all directions
    3. More materials than just the first one can have a texture
    4. If a scene has more than 1 mesh, they all could be exported on different
    layers
    5. Maybe by able to chose that each material's vertices can be on a different layer
    6. Not sure if possible, but automatic conversion of JPG and PNG textures to BMP files
    7. If 6 is possible, automatic copying of the texture file

I still have to get my head around the difference in Blender of FACE.UV's and VERT.UV's. I have to read a lot I guess.

Once I have these things in it, I will try to make some suggestions about animation/bone data inside the M15 file format.

Michael

Mike, WOW!!!

Thanks, so much. I am amazed by how fast you did all of this. FANTASTIC!!

Asking about rotating on the x90, what a nice touch! Super Duper!!!

Thanks again, I guess my c++ studying for today will be worked on later, now to play with blender and this new awesome script!!

I got an error, just posting here in case anyone else runs into it. It comes from not having python installed and says something about only built in modules will work. This is probably a unique problem to me as I install and uninstall languages all the time. Just wanted to mention it in case anyone else runs into it.

Ok, got it working. I went through and made sure I uninstalled all past python installs. I downloaded and installed python. I uninstalled blender and installed the latest release candidate, I rebooted windows and all is working fine. Very exciting to be able to export straight to m15, great job Mike.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Hi Mike,

thanks a lot. I made it the way you described it but it did not show up, but I think it is possible I have too old Blender version. I will try tommorow with newer.

Thanks a lot!,
    Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I just tried the latest release candidate for blender. It does not have texture baking in there at the moment, or it has been moved somewhere else I couldn't find it. I uninstalled and reinstalled 2.42a and all is fine.

Wait till you see this fighter model in Mike's zip Petr, it is neat
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600

[youtube=425,350]bYiiAZNrH7U[/youtube]

www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Eros, really nice!! Here is a thought if you are in a testing mood. Petr has that flying through space demo, where the stars go by, but with red shifting effect for speed. It would be neat to use this demo with the stars in the background and as you rotated the stars zipping by would reflect the viewing angle as if actually going around the fighter in flight.

Why am I asking this? I have been thinking of doing something like that since I came across thinbasic and that demo. Just don't have the skills yet and now that I focusing on learning c++, it is getting harder and harder for me to go back and forth between languages.

That is really neat, some sound effects from any sci-fi show of a ship flying and it will be perfect. I had made such a sound a few years back but lost it. It was recording many hours of deeps space nine and going through fly by videos and compositing the sounds to make a unique sound based on the underlying tracks.

Anyways sorry to get off topic. Awesome to see the fighter in 3d moving around.

Another note, here is a video I found today on new texture baking in the new blender, I didn't see this when I downloaded that version and as I wrote before back to 2.42a, but wow, looks really cool and I realize I am a caveman with my blender skills at the moment when I see this

http://www.sweb.cz/devros/T5.mov

Unfortunately I'm not at high level too. I'm just able to see the work of others and try to add little changes.
    In this case I just take exampe from Mike file and used general script ModelViewer from Petr to view M15 model.

Sorry
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast