Thread: ThinBasic CD/DVD Programs

ThinBasic CD/DVD Programs

Hi - I am new to ThinBasic (The paint is still wet...) and have a question. If I understand correctly when you run a ThinBasic Program it creates an invisible folder on your drive, so does that mean you can not run a ThinBasic program on a read only or closed CD/DVD? Thank you...

Temp dir

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Cohen View Post
    Hi - I am new to ThinBasic (The paint is still wet...) and have a question. If I understand correctly when you run a ThinBasic Program it creates an invisible folder on your drive, so does that mean you can not run a ThinBasic program on a read only or closed CD/DVD? Thank you...
    Hi Ronnie,

When you execute a script in ThinAir , I never seen new directory created.

When you execute a bundled script the following phases are executed : (I work with W7, I wonder that it in not really different in more recent win ?)

• The .exe creates a directory in \users\name\AppData\Local\Temp\ with a name like {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
      As most of win applications uses this method I can't imagine that this directory resides in a read-only partition.
    • In that directory it uncompress some .dll file corresponding to modules declared by the Uses directive, and the main interpreter thinCore.dll :
    • it also uncompress files so declared to be included in bundling phase.
    • then the script is executed.
    • at the end of the script the directory is deleted. But sometimes, if the execution fails, the directory remains. This is why it's a wise thing to check the Temp directory

So if your bundled .exe file is on a read-only partition there is no problem.

Hope that will help you ?

Regards

François.

Quote Originally Posted by chameau View Post
    Hi Ronnie,

When you execute a script in ThinAir , I never seen new directory created.

When you execute a bundled script the following phases are executed : (I work with W7, I wonder that it in not really different in more recent win ?)

• The .exe creates a directory in \users\name\AppData\Local\Temp\ with a name like {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
      As most of win applications uses this method I can't imagine that this directory resides in a read-only partition.
    • In that directory it uncompress some .dll file corresponding to modules declared by the Uses directive, and the main interpreter thinCore.dll :
    • it also uncompress files so declared to be included in bundling phase.
    • then the script is executed.
    • at the end of the script the directory is deleted. But sometimes, if the execution fails, the directory remains. This is why it's a wise thing to check the Temp directory

So if your bundled .exe file is on a read-only partition there is no problem.

Hope that will help you ?

Regards

François.
    Hi François

Thank you for your response. So, if I understood correctly there are no problems running a Thinbasic program from DVDs. - Ronnie