Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Between the Bubbles - a game concept

Hi DirectuX,

thanks again for detailed review. Now I see I understood the original "constant" idea wrong.

Currently, at the beginning of each round, the total energy of bubbles is always the same. It did not occur to me to re-create new ones to keep the level the same, that is very interesting concept.

Aaand - yes, it is quite challenging now, right? I will try to think about it, I think maybe the less "desperate" turning could help this.

Thanks a lot again for your opinions, all very valuable!

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Good evening,

significant update, V5, attached to the first post.

What is new? A lot of things

For example:
    - the screen is no longer fixed, I introduce the concept of "infinite bubbleverse" with chasing camera, which I hope Eros will appreciate, as he suggested it earlier
    - in order to make the game less stressful, player has initial energy, bubbles are of higher capacity
    - bubbles are also reborn once expired
    - to give some challenge though, I added the feature which makes the bubbles pop when you approach them at speed - careful!

Give it a try and let me know, thanks a lot.

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Challenging

While 'game-development' you can calculate/display the bug's range of action :

Ø from bug = f (energy stored by bug ; energy consumption rate while bug moving)

then, measure the number N of bubbles within the Ø range during gameplay (take Øbubble into account)

Observe N = f (Time) . It is a direct indicator of the difficulty level that you can then adjust for each of your Game Levels.

Edit:
    Since you changed bubble's energy in V5 ,
    you could also measure the energy Ereachable bubbles and observe Ereachable bubbles = f (Time) , then adjust difficulty with:
    • bubble Ø vs Energy ratio (other idea : can have different bubbles (color...) , certain more attractive than other)
    • Energy consumption rate for movement
    • Constant total Energy of the world
    Last edited by DirectuX; 05-10-2019 at 21:58.
    ThinBasic 1.11.6.0 ALPHA - Windows 8.1 x64

Hi Petr,
    V5 is a lot easier !
    too easy in fact : while just waiting in place, the bug turns full green !

• infinite bubbleverse

• did you think of any background ? (now, as the camera moves, we need a landmark) (hoping for parallax )

• for bubble merging vs bouncing, do you check against bubble energy ? I didn't see merging this time and you just said that bubbles have more energy now in V5.

• bubble pops

• seems easier to move / turn , just a feeling ?

• do you plan seamless level up or levels ?
    Last edited by DirectuX; 05-10-2019 at 22:01.

Hi DirectuX,

thank you. The difficulty is now in opposite extreme, as you say. I made a phone call yesterday, then returned to PC and bug was still alive

Speaking of visuals, I don't want the game to look vectorish as it is now, I have an idea about quite tasty look.

In order to add sense of depth, I want to have "fake" depth of field, with the game plane being in focus, while other planes blurred. It should create that paralax feeling.
    That would mean that you could see bubbles deeper than the bug is, just with out of focus look.
    As an icing on the cake, I had ideas about bubbles coming from the deep, with transition from being completely blurred to sharp, could look nice.

I would also like organic look of the bug, nice fonts and... everything

But first - I need the way to ballance the difficulty and add all core game elements.

Speaking of game structure, I would like smooth transition between the levels. That means, no screen blinks, but as you flow in the inifinite bubbleverse, at certain point things will happen.

All of this structured to chapters/levels, with checkpoint and autosave at these. And yes, there is even a story in the works

But these are the far plans - did not mention sound design yet, but it will be also important. I need to focus now on the core gameplay elements for a while, I do not have it under control yet.

Petr

All these plans are appealing !

Quote Originally Posted by Petr Schreiber View Post

But first - I need the way to ballance the difficulty and add all core game elements.
    About this part, what do think of the range of action ?

My apologies I did not commented it more,

but that is because I am already processing it in background thread - I will definitely have a look at it!

Petr

Quote Originally Posted by DirectuX View Post
    • for bubble merging vs bouncing, do you check against bubble energy ? I didn't see merging this time and you just said that bubbles have more energy now in V5.
    Hi Petr,
    I had a look at this code part, and boosting the MaxBubbleEnergy to 450 lead to more variety in bubble sizes, but that's not the point of this post : why do you scatter the game parameters across your code ? Is there a reason you don't use the INI module by example ?

It would make tweaking the params easier, right?

I am also considering cAppConfig, but not decided yet. Point taken!

DirectuX, would you like to join development, if I would put it on GitHub?

Petr

It would make tweaking the params easier, right?

I am also considering cAppConfig, but not decided yet. Point taken!
    Right

in my humble opinion, XML is for machines, TXT or INI suits better for humans,
    of course cAppConfig could be of better use for savegames. Do you plan protection against cheating (also regarding hall of fame)?

DirectuX, would you like to join development, if I would put it on GitHub?
    I'll PM you about this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast