Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: thinBasic web is now HTTPS

I'm glad I'm using SMF as there were minimal issues upgrading to https on the forum sites I host.

Q. Would you continue investing in thinBasic if it were only available under DOS?
    Last edited by John Spikowski; 19-09-2018 at 08:22.
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

In vBulletin it is just a change in a field.
    In the web server just few changes.

What took to me some time was the fact that I didn't know much about https so I wanted to study it a little bit.

Regarding your question ... what do you mean ... DOS? 16bit OS you mean?
    My first pseudo programming language was developed in 16bit with a language called CBasic from Digital Research many years ago (25 or so)
    In any case programming is not my job but my passion. So time spent on thinBasic is not an investment but pure pleasure that I will do till I will die I suppose
    And I've already set instructions to my family to what to do when it will happen :P
    Last edited by ErosOlmi; 19-09-2018 at 19:13.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Is it possible the high security of https may prevent search engines robots from indexing the site ?

Yes, I suppose it is possible for some time.
    Until they will recognize that now it is https.

I will check on Google consoles if it is possible to force something.
    Under Google Analytics I've already switched last week and data seems collected correctly.
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Regarding your question ... what do you mean ... DOS?
    Admittedly that was a loaded question. The analogy was comparing DOS to PowerBASIC. You answered my question by saying that thinBasic is a labor of love and if anyone sees value in your work, they are welcome to use it.

I think you should post a warning to new users that the language being used for the interpreter is no longer supported and the company that owns it is in a state of flux.

I didn't write Script BASIC but feel the same joy you do just supporting its further use. I'm fortunate that there is a commercial interest in the BASIC as well.
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

Quote Originally Posted by John Spikowski View Post
    I think you should post a warning to new users that the language being used for the interpreter is no longer supported and the company that owns it is in a state of flux.
    John John John
    again and again and again
    Please stop with your Power Basic crusade.
    People interested in thinBasic are not interested in the compiler used to develop thinBasic.
    And if yes, they are absolutely free to follow other solutions/languages

To me Power Basic compiler will be super perfectly valid compiler for ages as long as there will be a Windows OS able to execute 32 bit applications.
    Even if new PB property will never release a new PB version. it has so great power that I will be never able to exploit all its capabilities.
    So there is still a lot to do with it. A lot!

That is well and fine if PB extensions to thinBasic aren't in your plans. Whatever happened to your renewed interest in O2?
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

Quote Originally Posted by John Spikowski View Post
    Whatever happened to your renewed interest in O2?
    Still there with many other things I would like to do.
    But time is limited so it needs to be spent by priorities.

Actually I have a new thinBasic version I want to release asap with dozens of new features I would like to finish and publish.
    One I'm proud of and seems to work fine is CODEPTR(...) that will let developers to develop scripts interacting with external libraries passing pointer to script functions
    This will open a whole a new kind of programming in thinBasic.

CODEPTR(...) !!
    i don't understand its explanation. is it the ability to call a function made with thinbasic from a compiler ?
    we can access function inside dlls made with other compilers from thinbasic such as:
    Declare Function MyFunction Lib "PBDLL.dll" Alias "MyFunction" ()
    MyFunction() ' call the function from inside thinbasic

but the reverse process seems very complex. apparently a very few people is able to do it but not the general public.
    may be making DLLs from thinbasic is a solution. so we can call that dll from a compiler.
    some people may say you have a compiler and wants to call a function from an interpreter. the answer is that some efficient compilers lacks important functions available in the interpreter only
    is this reduce the value of thinbasic ?? never, in fact it makes it inside the universe .
    Last edited by primo; 20-09-2018 at 19:44.

You will see

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2