Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maximum width of canvas = 1348921, but why?

Maximum width of canvas = 1348921, but why?

OK, here I am with my silly virtual canvas questions again.

Here is a sample program:
    Uses "UI"
    Uses "OS"       
    Uses "GDIP"                

'---Constant declarations
    Begin ControlID  
      %ID_Canvas,
    End ControlID

%CANVAS_LENGTH            = 1348921       ' Width of graph in pixels
    %CANVAS_HEIGHT            = 380           ' Height of graph in pixels
    %VP_WIDTH                 = 1000          ' Width, in pixels, of viewport into canvas

'------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' Program start point
    Function TBMain() As Long
      Local hDlg    As DWord   '---Used to store window handle of main dialog

'---Create a new dialog
      hDlg = Dialog_New Pixels, 0, "Canvas Test", -1, -1, 1020, 420,
                                                      %WS_DLGFRAME  | 
                                                      %DS_CENTER    | 
                                                      %WS_CAPTION   | 
                                                      %WS_SYSMENU   | 
                                                      %WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW

'---Show dialog in modal mode
      '---cbDialog function is the callback function handling dialog events
      '---Application control will pass to dialog callback till dialog will exists 
        Dialog Show Modal hDlg, Call cbDialog

End Function 

' Callback procedure for main window
    CallBack Function cbDialog() As Long
      Select Case CBMSG

Case %WM_INITDIALOG
          Local i As Long

'---Add controls
          Control Add Canvas,  CBHNDL, %ID_Canvas, "", 10, 10, %VP_WIDTH, %CANVAS_HEIGHT + 20, %WS_BORDER | %WS_CHILD | %WS_VISIBLE | %SS_NOTIFY, Call cbDialog

Canvas_Attach(CBHNDL, %ID_Canvas, TRUE)
          ' Set the canvas to be very wide (virtualy)
          Canvas_SetVirtual(%CANVAS_LENGTH, %CANVAS_HEIGHT)
          Canvas_SetView(0, 0)

' Write something on the canvas so we can know when it moves
          For i = 1 To %CANVAS_LENGTH Step 100
            Canvas_SetPos(i, 100)
            Canvas_Print(i)
          Next i

End Select

End Function

Now, if you run this program, it will work just fine. You can use the thumb to drag the canvas underneath the viewport, and you can see all of the numbers (showing that you have access to the whole canvas).

But if you use %CANVAS_LENGTH = 1348922 (just one more than is in the program above) then it will not work. The canvas will not scroll around, and you can't see any more of the numbers.

But why? My computer has tons of RAM (32GB). Could it be possible to use canvases that are much, much bigger than this? (say 21600000 pixels wide) I have 250 data points coming in from my embedded system every second, and I'd like to be able to graph 24 hours of data on one canvas.

Everything works wonderfully up to 1348921.

I think it has to do with the total size (area) of the canvas, because if I reduce the canvas height I can increase the width.

Is it because 1348922 * 380 * 4 is getting close to 2^31?

*Brian

A lot of data.

Yes, problem is allocated memory.
    thinBasic is a 32bit application and has the limit of 2GB per process. Even if you have plenty of memory, every 32bit process has this limit.

You need to find another strategy.
    You need to have data stored somewhere, show some rolling screen that shows only the last x minutes.
    When you need to show the whole day or more, reload data and show them.
    To store data you can use new SQLite module and manage a local DB where to put all the data you get.

A quick and dirty way to go further the limit of 1348921 pixels wide is to reduce the height of the Canvas.
    Set
    %CANVAS_HEIGHT = 100 (for example) and you will be able to set a much bigger %CANVAS_LENGTH.
    Last edited by ErosOlmi; 08-02-2018 at 17:03.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Ahh! Very good. That makes complete sense. Thank you.

Expanding the canvas was just my lazy attempt at getting more recording time. I will have to bite the bullet and do things right!

What are the limits to arrays? Can I, for example, have a long array that has 1073741823 elements (2GB in size)? Or do all variables in a TB program together need to fit into 2GB?

*Brian

what about 2 canvases !!! when the graphics reaches the end of the first wide canvas it begins to plot to the second canvas.

i don't want to cover your last question, here it is again since it is important:
    What are the limits to arrays? Can I, for example, have a long array that has 1073741823 elements (2GB in size)? Or do all variables in a TB program together need to fit into 2GB?

*Brian
    Uses "UI"

Dim x,y As Double

Begin ControlID
    %ID_Canvas
    %ID_Canv2
    End ControlID

Function TBMain() As Long
    Local hDlg As DWord '---Used to store window handle of main dialog

hDlg = Dialog_New Pixels, 0, "canvas wide graphics ", -1, -1, 1200, 775,
    %WS_DLGFRAME | 
    %DS_CENTER | 
    %WS_CAPTION | 
    %WS_SYSMENU | 
    %WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW

Dialog Show Modal hDlg, Call cbDialog
    End Function

CallBack Function cbDialog() As Long
    Select Case CBMSG
    Case %WM_INITDIALOG
    Control Add Canvas, CBHNDL, %ID_Canvas, "", 50, 10,1000, 200, %WS_BORDER | %WS_CHILD | %WS_VISIBLE
    Control Add Canvas, CBHNDL, %ID_Canv2, "", 50, 210,1000, 200, %WS_BORDER | %WS_CHILD | %WS_VISIBLE
    Canvas_Attach(CBHNDL, %ID_Canvas, %TRUE)
    Canvas_SetVirtual(1000, 380)
    Canvas_SetView(0,0) 
    Canvas_Width(2)
    Canvas_Clear %BLACK 
    Canvas_SetView(1000,0) 

'Canvas_Scale(-20, -5, 20, 20) 

For x = 0 To 2000 Step 0.1

y = Sin(x)*20* Rndf(1, 2)*Sin(x/3)^2

Canvas_Width(3)

Canvas_Line( (x*10, y +100), (x*10, y +100) , Rgb(255, 255, 0) )

Canvas_Redraw

Next

''''wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    Canvas_Attach(CBHNDL, %ID_Canv2, %TRUE)
    Canvas_SetVirtual(1000, 380)
    Canvas_SetView(0,0) 
    Canvas_Width(2)
    Canvas_Clear %BLACK 
    Canvas_SetView(1000,0) 

'Canvas_Scale(-20, -5, 20, 20)
    'mark the beginning of canvas 2 graphics with a circle 
    Circle(10,70,10,Rgb(0,255,0),Rgb(255,0,0))
    For x = 0 To 2000 Step 0.1

y = Sin(x)*20

Canvas_Width(3)

Canvas_Line( (x*10, y +100), (x*10, y +100) , Rgb(255, 255, 0) )
    Canvas_Redraw
    Next
    End Select
    End Function 

Function Circle(x As Long, y As Long, r As Long, colr, colrFill) 
       Canvas_Ellipse(x-r, y-r, x+r, y+r, colr, colrFill)
    End Function

Last edited by primo; 08-02-2018 at 16:19.

Quote Originally Posted by EmbeddedMan View Post
    Limit is per process.
    You have to consider that thinBasic Core engine has its memory needs plus every module has its memory needs.
    Sum all together and subtract from 2GB: the rest is what remains to your script.

I think you have to consider also security: imagine you have all data in memory and you application crash (whatever application not only thinBasic).
    What about your data? You have lost all.

Better strategy would be to store data into some persistent support (files or local DB or remote DB) as first step, than read back data to show it.
    One application can get data and store, another application can read back data and show.
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Regarding drawing data into a Canvass, it is better to draw it inside a Timer event and not during %WM_INITDIALOG event.
    Otherwise you will not get any window until your drawing is finished and your app will quite sure hangs.

So during %WM_INITDIALOG event just setup your window and controls and create a timer.
    Then draw during timer events.

As an aside, for anybody who's interested:

One of the functions of my application is to graph 5 different variables for a long period of time (currently about 80 minutes), and then save off all of the data to a .csv file with my app the way it is now as well as a .bmp image of the graph (maxed out canvas width with 380 pixel height).

So TB has no problem with this - and I'm generating 1348921 x 380 pixel .bmp files just fine. It's so fantastic to be able to have a complete record of everything the user saw during the run.

Thanks TB!

*Brian

eheh ...
    maybe one day you will let us know about how look your applications
    We are very curios.

Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi View Post
    Limit is per process.
    You have to consider that thinBasic Core engine has its memory needs plus every module has its memory needs.
    Sum all together and subtract from 2GB: the rest is what remains to your script.

I think you have to consider also security: imagine you have all data in memory and you application crash (whatever application not only thinBasic).
    What about your data? You have lost all.

Better strategy would be to store data into some persistent support (files or local DB or remote DB) as first step, than read back data to show it.
    One application can get data and store, another application can read back data and show.

Yes, ideally, that is the case. That requires more complex internal operation. One of the requirements of this program is that the entire graph (all 24 hrs of it, if possible) be 'scrollable' at all times. So the user should be able to scroll back to any point in the graph, zoom in and out, all while new data is coming in. I.e. "live".

As it is right now, I'm also saving every new bit of data off into the .csv log file, which (after the fact) can be loaded into the program (canvas) and scrolled around to see what happened during the run. This actually works extremely well. So I'm not worried about data that's in RAM getting lost during a crash.

It's very good to know about the 2GB total limit - TB has no way to allocate or use memory outside of this limit, correct? That's just fine - I will need to be clever with how I store and display things if I want to run for longer periods.

Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi View Post
    eheh ...
    maybe one day you will let us know about how look your applications
    We are very curios.
    Sure thing! Here is a very simple run I did for just a few seconds at my desk (not inside a human heart - those tests are very expensive). I called it "PIGrapher" because the first use for the tool was to allow me to tune the PI parameters for our motor speed control. (We only use PI, not PID for this device.)

Of course, now people at work see how useful the tool is, and a lot more people want to use it for many other uses! I consider that a success. But with success comes lots of new feature requests, like "can it graph for 24 hours?"

Capture.PNG

*Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast