Thread: tB-online-interpreter-idea

thinBasic MVPs

tB-online-interpreter-idea

Imagine some site on tB-forum which shows

2 "output-windows" (console & graphics - preferred TBGL-window)
    1 input-window ("script-editor")

+ Execute-Button that would allow to run tB-scripts online.

Even more cool if one could directly run posted script-examples from any thread in forum by sending it to the Online-Interpreter.

Probably it would need some kind of HTML-controls to display console & graphics-window (no idea about that matter) which finally could be embedded to any other website too, to run tB-scripts in Browser.

Future:

Maybe later also thinkeable some attacheable link to an uploaded (zip?-)folder in users profile (downloadeable?) that could be treated as "App_Scriptpath" (at least Read-Only), where the #Included Units, Incs and other needed resources can be stored.

tB as embeddeable script-language for online-presentations,
    tB instantly online useable

enormous time & HD-space-saver for users that want to try some posted example
    combined with online-help much higher learning curve since examples get tested by users more

fun!

lot of work
    I think there are missing some Forum-sections as beta-testing and support

Hi Rene,

the idea is good, as usually. Before going into this direction I think these intermediate steps need to be done:
    • Introduce something like "Security Profile" - using File_Kill in online scripts could be nice security hole allowing the hackers to do some damage
    • Increase stability of the modules - inproper usage ends with GPF instead of RunTimeError in some cases
    • Have a dedicated server to handle these requests - there can be lot of them and I don't want to have for example slower forum

Regarding the second point, I started to do some research, where I go module-by-module and identify places, where usage can cause GPF (crash). I think this is important step, stability is a big priority for me as of now.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

thinBasic MVPs
    Hi Petr,

of course, of course you are right. Let's think of smaller steps.

Maybe there could be some other way to run the code on the users PC instead of letting the server calculate:

grab code from web-site,
    save scripts temporary on users pc in a web-cache-subfolder (also add needed resources if some)

invoke the execution through LOCAL tB-installation
    - possibly some tB-forum-cookie could secure the path in local registry.

it would allow to use any module, multiple windows, no problems checking for Input as Mouse & Keyboard,
    no in-browser-console-control nor any special in-browser-TBGL-output-control were needed

- just local tB-installation & forum-membership required

...and some execute-button on the forums pages that appears below posted code would have to be coded.
    perhaps grab attached files from post if some and copy these to temp-folder too.

I don't know if either of you knew but you can now use newLISP in your browser if you visit this webpage.

It's quite interesting to mess about with. :-D
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Celeron N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz
    Memory: 4.00GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 600

thinBasic MVPs
    Intentionally it's more like I want to post some "interactive image" to facebook or google+ etc. but the "image" shall be a TBGL-Window.
    So to say, my post displays some running TBGL-script (runs on click) and the postet "image" acts like a TBGL-Window (Input etc.)

Imagine the possibilities...

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    ... but you can now use newLISP in your browser...
    ... and a similar browser- & server-based BASIC with code, console, graphics windows is PhysGL at http://www.physgl.org/.

For me the holy grail is to get a browser-based BASIC IDE with code editor and run-time debugger but for now I am having to use javascript and for me it is a bit difficult

That PhysGL site looks impressive, there's an app available for Chrome called Nitrous.IO which lets you write code in your browser/cloud. Several languages are supported, however BASIC isn't one of them. :-(
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Celeron N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz
    Memory: 4.00GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 600

thinBasic MVPs
    still the idea there could be some thinBasic-webBrowser-PlugIn - resulting in a boost of active users number #'''''
    Last edited by ReneMiner; 11-06-2014 at 01:00. Reason: play around with new TV