Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trouble in (my) Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi View Post
    Waiting for your comments about speed and data (it must be the one you expect ).
    Greets all,

I'm not a frequent visitor to the forums. Just when I need someone to nudge me with a "do better code" ideas or kick in the ..." to het me headed in the right direction. Today I spent a war5m spring day and evening spec'ing parts for a new computer build. That bundle of joy will hit my doorstep by next weekend, maybe? And I'm hoping to have a fast system, without the shortcomings of the system I'm typing on. Since I built it three years ago, it's had difficulties recognizing the 6gb of ram (tri-channel on an i7 930). So I worked with 4gb recognized. Way too many posts at the EVGA forums about this problem with the ram and I was one of the people posting. I relocated almost two years ago and had packed the box up and put it into storage until I found my new place to live. One of the first things I did upon moving was unpack my computer. Isn't that the normal thing to do? When I turned it on, lo and behold, the BIOS now said I had 6gb of working ram! Life was good!

So today I decide to give the system it's spring cleaning with a can of compressed air and... I had bought some different ram modules that the mobo should fully recognize and give the rated speed. Popped out the old and punched in the new ram. Turned the system on and got 4gb recognized at 2/3 the rated speed. Restarted and went into the bios, made a change or two and rebooted..... Then after getting nothing and not wanting to spend any time debugging things, I went back and reinstalled the old ram and restarted, only to find I now have 4gb recognized, not the 6gb from earlier today.

So here's hoping the new parts go together well, as the research says they should. Until the new parts show up, I will get the new DLL loaded and make the code changes for you, Eros. Should have a first run through for you tomorrow evening, your time. I mentioned before about the work for Canada having an original estimate of two to three days, which then went down to less than one day. So I'm figuring by the time I get my work done, you will already have found a way to have it compiled before I hit the Green button! In amongst the thoughts doing a project like mine, to think I can help make thinBasic even just a little better makes me feel good So far the parsing of the data has been improved in thinBasic and now the writing out, that's a nice side benefit for hacking endeavors.

And John, I have looked at Flight Gear and commend the efforts of those involved, but the main name in Flight Simulation belongs to Micorsoft, even still on a six year old product. Airplanes and systems utilized by actual airlines, flying into accurately modeled airports filled with other airplanes on the ground and skies. It might seem like a game to the uninitiated, but there is some heavy duty stuff done with the game. And there are plenty of people who want to whip out their credit cards to make the game look better. That's what I'm aiming for. I can make the world's terrain in about ummm, a week. But it's been done already and there are people who don't like the concessions that have to be made with higher resolution terrain. I'm hoping to show them that some of those concessions aren't necessary any more.

Best regards,

Lance

Greets Eros,

Ran through the "single files" and compared to the results of a couple of days ago. For 24 files to process, the old (revised) code took 22:33 from first line in the debug.txt file to the last. Latest code took 9:52, which rough math in my head says about 40% of the time for the old code. The new code is also hindered by the fact that the computer is no longer running in tri-channel memory. Well done!

A quick cursory look inside my GIS tool of choice didn't show any visual anomolies. But I will do a conversion into the game's required format and compile the files and check in-game. Maybe I'll post a pic or two of what I'm aiming for that will make me the world famous...

Time for a bowl of ice cream and then off to bed for this old man!

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi View Post
    Lance,

I could not resist to publish new thnBasic Core engine and let you test.
    Mainly because I need your confirmation that output results are correct.

Attached to this post you will find thinCore.dll
    You need to have thinBasic 1.9.6 installed than substitute your \thinBasic\thinCore.dll with the attached one.

Than test the Append process I suggested in previous posts with this one single line:
    Debug 3, "Append file: " & FileWriteName
      n1 = FILE_Append(FileWriteName, FileWriteData)
      FILE_Append(FileWriteName, Join$(MyMatrix, $SPC, $CRLF))

'  Dim sLine(ColTotal) As String
    '  For RowNum = 1 To RowTotal
    '    For ColNum = 1 To ColTotal
    '      sLine(ColNum) = MyMatrix(RowNum, ColNum)
    '    Next
    '    FILE_Append(FileWriteName, Join$(sLine, $SPC) + $CRLF)
    '  Next
    Debug 2, "End Append"

Waiting for your comments about speed and data (it must be the one you expect ).

Ciao
    Eros
    Greets All,

I wanted to come back and touch on the speed issue, as I was getting some supporting files ready earlier for some production work.

Into my large matrixes (5401x5401~) goes a bunch of smaller matrixes, in the average range of 400x400, though they vary. I had 1,144 of the small files to modify and save out to new files. I wondered "how long will this take?", as I had only done a much smaller set a while back. Before starting the task I went in and reviewed the code and saw that I could write the matrix to file using the revised File_Append(FileName, Join$(MyMatrix, $SPC, $CRLF)). Hit the compile button and went to make my dinner. When I came back the job had finished all 1,145 files in 20 minutes. Just for fun, I went back to the earlier code and started the process a second time. On average with the old code I got about 11 files processed in TWO minutes, compared to the revised code doing 60 to 70 files in ONE minute. Impressive tweak, Eros!

Slowly my little project comes together and I appreciate thinBasic making that happen.

Lance

Thanks for the project update.

I didn't expect that speed but I'm fine you got it.
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

John, John, John... it's NOT a game, it's a simulator! Or so the "hardcore simmers" would leave you to believe.

My efforts deal with terrain enhancement. This particular project has been floating around in my head for a couple of years and would have been finished long ago, but some health issues popped up (pun intended for me) and it's taken longer than expected. I hope to have the initial product done by the end of July, which may or may not garner much attention from the Microsoft-based side of the FS community. I think I have a couple of pictures that I can share shortly. But it's mostly minimizing the effects of adding higher resolution terrain data into the game. For me, the terms "hardcore" or "serious" simmer are divisive and meant with a level of disdain. That's why I like to mimic those who are unable to admit they like to sit at a computer, play a game and be entertained.

Lance

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123