Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agri Bot

Agri Bot

(To me, robots, and technology generally, have great potential, both good and bad.)

My observation is that, as technology advances, so does the concentration of wealth.

Now I think I am beginning to understand how two-class societies function.

The upper class goes about its business, its only care being to increase its acquisition, while it concomitantly demonstrates that, to it, the lower class does not matter in the least.

And, the system is constructed so that, within it, the lower class has zero chance of preventing its continual further decimation.

Last edited by danbaron; 20-06-2012 at 07:53.
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

The swarms of robots are very popular topic today, I am curious if this application will prove to be usable and efficient.

I am looking forward to approach the authors will pick for robot hygiene after robots finish their work shift Even our robot operating in malls and similar environments collects lots of dust on its surface, in outdoor environment it must be even worse.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I can only speculate about what the topic, "swarms of robots", is about.

My guess is it means the end of human soldiers.

Imagine thousands of autonomous soldier robots, "who" instantaneously communicate with the entire swarm, and who instantaneously calculate and initiate the mathematically optimal strategy for a particular situation.

Imagine a swarm of a thousand "fly" robots (like house flies) attacking someone - what chance would he have?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that most likely, robots will evolve with humans as their model - what other model is there to copy?

A robot will be able to perform minor maintenance and repairs on itself.

For major maintenance and repairs, one or more robots will perform it on another of their kind.

Beyond that, maybe, a robot will be able to construct another one of itself.

Imagine if the "fly" robots mentioned above, could reproduce, escaped from human control, and became as common on the planet as real house flies --> just wonderful, right?

Last edited by danbaron; 20-06-2012 at 19:56.
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

Hehe,

if you have a chance to get it in bookstore, I can recommend "Invincible" by Stanislaw Lem.
    I found it online here, but it is not very comfortable to read from screen.

This is a not very typical Lem's book, but definitely worth reading.
    I like how Lem pictures robots in his books/novels - from funny guys to sad damaged "persons", definitely not a stereotypical view

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 20-06-2012 at 23:33.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I looked, and I think I can read it from the screen.

It seems interesting to me.

Believe it or not, it was originally published in 1964.

(Since it was written so long ago, I wonder if the spaceships are powered by internal combustion engines.)

I'll try reading it.

And, I found it here too.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Invincible...lem+invincible

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now to what I wanted to add.

My guess is that before long, robots will be connected to the Internet.

Then, how long will it be before a virus infected horde of agri-bots, attacks a town, and kills all of its inhabitants?

Nonsense?

Imagine the destruction that one robot bulldozer could do.

Or one robot military tank.

Or one robot military jet fighter.

Incidentally, I heard on CNN again tonight, that the U.S. and Israel jointly developed the Flame virus.

Last edited by danbaron; 21-06-2012 at 08:31.

I read it all, on the computer screen.

According to my editor, it has approximately, 2254 lines, 66885 words, 390410 characters.

I think, it's pretty long.

For a page with 100 characters per line, and 50 lines per page, which is a about the maximum for a 8.5 inch by 11 inch page, that would be approximately 78 pages.

Maybe I will comment on it after I reflect, am too tired now.

Hi Dan,

I wrote a clip-board speaker to help with reading large amounts of text from web pages. It works quite well in Vista using the 'Anna' voice. It should also work in XP which uses the 'Sam' voice, though it is considerably less refined.

Once it has initialised and successfully connected to the voice, it will say "hello". Then you can use it by copying any text into the clipboard then clicking anywhere in the coloured area. Click again and it will pause at the end of the sentence. Another click and it will start again. If you close it down, the voice will continue speaking till the end of the sentence. (beware texts that have no full-stops)

I found it took a few session before I could understand the voice clearly, which I suppose is only to be expected with computer speech. Anyway, I use it for almost every text I encounter, so see if it works for you.

Charles

PS: I wonder if it works well in other languages. Petr?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Charles Pegge; 25-06-2012 at 10:10.

I think, the story, "The Invincible", is good.

I do notice that some things I would have liked when I was, say, 14, I now find tedious, like, what I consider to be, the excruciating detail.

On the other hand, without the detail, I think almost any story could be told in one page.

There are, I think, some scientific errors and omissions.

Maybe that is why the this type of story is called science fiction.

For instance, I think it is impossible to travel at "almost" light speed and remain alive.

Your mass would become so great, I think you would suffocate.

Also, your heart would be unable to pump the great mass of your blood.

About the mechanical flies, they are described as being very simple, but, unless I missed it, there is no mention of how they reproduce.

Also, it is not clear to me how they communicate.

And, this is possible, for instance, in the case of ants (I guess, humans too), but, I know of no simple explanation - how can the intelligence of any individual be slight, while the complexity of activity of the group, is great?

I guess there is a difference between intelligence and complexity of activity - maybe as shown by the computer simulation, Life.

Also, it seems to me that Lem couldn't think of any profound ending to the story, so, basically, he just stopped it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The only difficulty I find with reading text on the computer screen, is that, and, for me, the book was an example, the lines of text may be very long.

Then, when you reach the end of a line of text, it can be a challenge to find the next line - you have to look too far, from right to left.

Otherwise, I like to read on the computer, rather than to listen.

But, I think I can see which way, "the wind is blowing".

In capitalism, everything is done to maximize income.

Therefore, the desires of the composite person are addressed.

In my opinion, the composite person, is relatively dumb and lazy.

That person has little imagination, and wants to listen and watch, not read.

So, how long before text on the Internet, is a dinosaur?

(Notice also, that, in order to use the Internet effectively, your connection must continually become faster. The only gain I see is for those who monetarily profit, from propagandizing the populace with, "more, faster, better". (Lately, I have thought about this. Why are sports stars worshipped like gods? Because, society has made them as wealthy as gods relative to the average person. In other words, in our current global society, wealth is worshipped, and, I think the reason is that, the average person has none and will never have any. But, he is brainwashed to believe by the capitalists, that all other goals are and should be subordinate to the pursuit of money.))

I don't include you in my negative assessment, Charles - I'm sure your talking text program is good.

(Somewhat, I can see in myself, that a person's circumstances affect his mood, which colors his outlook on everything. When a person feels he is powerless, he is likely to become depressed. Then, even things which are intrinsically neutral can seem bad. And, the person is likely to ascribe the worst outcome, to every conceivable future.)

Last edited by danbaron; 25-06-2012 at 19:52.

My vision is somewhat limited, so I have a strong incentive to use text-to-speech, and on many websites the presentation of text is very poor. Text-to-speech is also good for proof reading, and you can take notes more easily, while long articles are being spoken.

Programs with long lines and lengthy symbol names are also a problem for me, which is why I suppose I prefer code in a more algebraic form. I would like to develop a text-to-speech utility for reading programs in a comprehensible manner. It would have a basic understanding of the syntax and structure of a program - so it could be used to proof read the code.

Charles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.