Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next thinBasic: template dialog

Next thinBasic: template dialog

I'm few weeks I'm working on next thinBasic version: 1.9

Among other many enhancements, one of the things I'm working on is a new template dialog, the dialog used to create a new thinBasic script (see image)
    So far I've almost completely re-coded it keeping as possible inspiration the new project dialog present in Microsoft Visual Studio

There will be 4 areas in the dialog (see image):
    1. the repository tree structure used to store thinBasic script templates
    2. the list of templates present in a certain directory
    3. general info about templates like: author, date, version, ...
    4. a preview of the template

I'm now working on area 3 and 4
    • In area 3 I'm trying to find a way to add that info inside template source code in order to get them during preview
    • In area 4 I'm working on adding Scintilla Text Editor as possible editor making experience with it in order to consider as possible future thinAir editor control.

What I need?
    1. I need some advice on what you think about this new dialog layout
    2. I need some possible ideas to enhance this dialog
    3. I need idea on how to insert into template source code the template info: author, description short, description long, version, ...
      Maybe we can think to use XML as template structure. In this way it will be very easy to implement additional specifications
    4. I need some new templates from general one to complex one in order to present thinBasic programmers a quite rich set of templates to start from

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Ciao
    Eros
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hi, in vb6 i am using it sometimes for a hurry calc, i draw quickly textbox and a button then dblclick on the button to write textbox1=some operation, i prefer this than console or msgbox. so a template for textbox with a button for a hurry calc will be useful, because it is not easy to remember the complex syntax of the related windows api functions. such a template can make use of the attached example i have found on my hard disk made by one of the users, i have edited it slightly.
    i suggest also a simple template for a form with a canvas, with a one instruction to draw an ellipse,circle, line, pixel.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Eros,

few ideas from my side:

Template file format
    I would move the template file format completely to XML, having the following structure:

<ThinAIRTemplate version="1.0">
    // Version of template file format
    <Header>
    <DescriptionShort>Simple dialog</DescriptionShort> // Name to be displayed in the templates listing instead of filename of this template
    <DescriptionLong>This template generates code for single modal dialog with button and callback</DescriptionLong> // Description to be displayed
    <Author>Petr Schreiber</Author> // Person responsible for the template
    <Contact>Drop user "Petr Schreiber" a personal message on ThinBASIC forumor email me at...</Contact> // Contact information in case of trouble, link to source of latest version and such
    <Version>1.1<Version> // Version of this particular template
    </Header>
    <Files count="1"> // In future it could be multifile, for projects and such
    <File>
    <Name>Dialog_</Name> // Gets pre-filled in the name for new file in New thinBasic script dialog, can be left empty, to give user more freedom
    <Extension>tBasic</Extension> // This is quite important, it could be tBasic, tBasicC, tBasicI, tBasicU, Txt
    <Code>

uses "UI"

... here goes thinBasic code of the file ...

</Code>
    </File>
    </Files>
    </ThinAIRTemplate>
    I am sorry, but I didn't managed to display it indented

"New" dialog
    I like the new layout, but have few "highlevelization" ideas to make the dialog more intuitive to users:

Area 1
    I am not sure what is the experience of other users, but I personally do not nest the template directories. There could be simple list of directories under Templates/ instead of treeview.

The list of templates could get more human readable format, like in Visual Studio. It could be realised with WebControl, having a look of "Listbox on steroids" realised via HTML one column table:

• each template would have his name in bold
    • author, version and other minor metadata would be listed below
    • description in italics below
    • tooltip would tell the file name for anyone interested, but most users won't need to know it I guess

So one item would look like:
    Simple modal dialog
    author: Petr Schreiber, version: 1.1

This template creates code for single modal dialog, with button and callback predefined
    It is a bit of space waste, but from my experience I do not use more than 6 templates in total, so this number would still fit on the screen.
    It could erase the need for Area 3.

The gray area above is look to far future, it would take a lot of time.

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 22-01-2012 at 18:04.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

The XML template idea still valid, for the dialog layout I have new idea, more realisable.

For a newcomer, I think it would be good to add some visual guides, because what he will see will be 3 window areas - where he should click first?
    On the other side the code listing will be not needed for the ol' coders knowing the template well. This leads to new layout in the attachement.

It has visual guides for new comer and expandable area with code listing.

Petr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Petr,

as usual great ideas! Thanks.

What is field "File name" used for?

Eros
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Quote Originally Posted by zak View Post
    Hi, in vb6 i am using it sometimes for a hurry calc, i draw quickly textbox and a button then dblclick on the button to write textbox1=some operation, i prefer this than console or msgbox. so a template for textbox with a button for a hurry calc will be useful, because it is not easy to remember the complex syntax of the related windows api functions. such a template can make use of the attached example i have found on my hard disk made by one of the users, i have edited it slightly.
    i suggest also a simple template for a form with a canvas, with a one instruction to draw an ellipse,circle, line, pixel.
    Thanks zak.

All templates I will receive will be valuated for the next version.
    I want to create a rich set of templates because I have the doubt that the many thinBasic script examples are not much visible to users while if we will create them as templates I think they will be much more visible.

Ciao
    Eros

Thanks

Currently, the file is always created as Untitled?.tBasic after pressing Use button.

The file name field could be used to name the file since the beginning somehow, and the extension would be detected from the template XML File.Extension tag.

The file name could be prefilled based on value in File.Name tag, but filling this tag in would be optional (could be left empty).

What is this good for? For example in case of code units. As I use frequently the TBGL actor template, the new XML version of it would:
    • force tBasicU extension, as it is not standalone
    • the name would be suggested to start "actor_" to keep clear what the file is about

Of course user can ignore this suggestion and name it as he wants.

Petr

Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi View Post
    Petr,

as usual great ideas! Thanks.

What is field "File name" used for?

Eros

I think is a great solution.

I just need to change thinAir internal identification of new files never saved in order to ask user to save them
    At the moment "untitled" is used to identify them.
    Anyway quite simple change

Petr,

I've created a test program to load a template XML file following your example.
    I've used Don Dickinson XML parser in order to avoid un-needed dependencies connections to big libraries or COM dependencies.

Attached full source code and example template.

I think I will go this way unless you have a better XML parser.

Ciao
    Eros
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Eros,

I have developed very basic XML parser. It should work for our case. The usage is very simple (referencing tag directly with path), but on the other side it is not really the gold piece of code, as it could be slow for big XMLs and it is a bit hacky.

Please try it on your PC, save it to the same directory as "_Template_.xml" to see it processed. The code relies on GRAB$ heavily, the rest is PB compatible I guess

So... here comes the spaghetti code :
    Uses "Console", "File"

$ProcessedFile = APP_SourcePath+"_Template_.XML"

Function TBMain()

If FILE_Exists($ProcessedFile) = FALSE Then
        MsgBox 0, "This example needs the file " + $ProcessedFile + " to work"
        Stop
      End If

String sXMLBuffer = FILE_Load(APP_SourcePath+"_Template_.XML")

PrintL "Version         : ", XML_GetTagParameter(sXMLBuffer, "ThinAIRTemplate", "version")

' -- The error catching is a bit silly, but should work   
    '  If Len(XML_LastError) Then 
    '    PrintL "Error occurred:"
    '    PrintL XML_LastError
    '    WaitKey
    '    Stop
    '  End If  

PrintL "Type            : ", XML_GetTagParameter(sXMLBuffer, "ThinAIRTemplate", "type")

PrintL

PrintL "DescriptionShort: ", XML_GetString(sXMLBuffer, "ThinAIRTemplate.Header.DescriptionShort")
      PrintL "DescriptionLong : ", XML_GetString(sXMLBuffer, "ThinAIRTemplate.Header.DescriptionLong")
      PrintL "Author          : ", XML_GetString(sXMLBuffer, "ThinAIRTemplate.Header.Author")
      PrintL "Contact         : ", XML_GetString(sXMLBuffer, "ThinAIRTemplate.Header.Contact")
      PrintL "Version         : ", XML_GetString(sXMLBuffer, "ThinAIRTemplate.Header.Version")

PrintL

PrintL "Count           : ", XML_GetTagParameter(sXMLBuffer, "ThinAIRTemplate.Files", "count")

PrintL

PrintL "Name            : ", XML_GetString(sXMLBuffer, "ThinAIRTemplate.Files.Name")
      PrintL "Extension       : ", XML_GetString(sXMLBuffer, "ThinAIRTemplate.Files.Extension")
      PrintL "Code            : ", XML_GetString(sXMLBuffer, "ThinAIRTemplate.Files.Code")

WaitKey

End Function

String XML_LastError

' -- Retrieves string from passed tag
    Function XML_GetString(sFile As String, sXPath As String) As String

Return XML_GetString_NthOccurence(sFile, sXPath, 1)

End Function 

' -- Retrieves parameter of given tag
    Function XML_GetTagParameter(sFile As String, sXPath As String, sParameter As String) As String

' -- By bypassing purge we retrieve the part after tag name
      String sBuffer = XML_GetString_NthOccurence(sFile, sXPath, 1, FALSE)

' -- This gives us string of the params, like: type="template" version="1.0"
      sBuffer = RTrim$(Extract$(sBuffer, ">"), ">")

' -- This chops each param to single array item
      String sParams()
      Long   nParams = Parse(sBuffer, sParams, " ")

' -- Now we seek for match, and if we do, we return the thing between quotes
      Long   i                                        
      For i = 1 To nParams
        If StartsWith(sParams(i)+"=", sParameter) Then
          Return Parse$(sParams(i), $DQ, 2)
        End If
      Next         

XML_LastError = "The parameter " + $DQ + sParameter + $DQ + " could not be found for tag " + sXPath

End Function

' -- Retrieves string from nth occurrence of passed tag                                    
    Function XML_GetString_NthOccurence(sFile As String, sXPath As String, occurence As Long, Optional purge As Long = TRUE) As String

' -- This makes sure we can process both string buffer or file from disk
      String sBuffer
      If InStr(sFile, ":") = 2 Then
        sBuffer = Acode$(UTF8ToWideChar$(FILE_Load(sFile)))
      Else
        sBuffer = sFile
      End If

' -- Some XMLs have odd tags with > on another line   
      sBuffer = Replace$(sBuffer, $LF+">", ">")

' -- Here we chop the XML tag path to pieces                                 
      String sPathElement()
      Long   i  
      Long   pathElements = Parse(sXPath, sPathElement, ".") 

' -- Here ve linearly chop the original string by tags till we get the result
      For i = 1 To pathElements                              
        If i = pathElements-1 Then                                                

If InStr(sBuffer, "<"+sPathElement(i)+">") Then       
            sBuffer = Grab$(sBuffer, "<"+sPathElement(i)+">", "</"+sPathElement(i)+">", occurence) ' -- For tags without parameters    
          ElseIf InStr(sBuffer, "<"+sPathElement(i)+" ") Then 
            sBuffer = Grab$(sBuffer, "<"+sPathElement(i)+" ", "</"+sPathElement(i)+">", occurence) ' -- and for those with     
            If purge Then
              sBuffer = Remain$(sBuffer, ">")                           
            End If                                            
          Else 
            XML_LastError = "Tag " + $DQ + sPathElement(i) + $DQ + " was not found in the path " + sXPath          
          End If
        Else 
          If InStr(sBuffer, "<"+sPathElement(i)+">") Then
            sBuffer = Grab$(sBuffer, "<"+sPathElement(i)+">", "</"+sPathElement(i)+">")
          ElseIf InStr(sBuffer, "<"+sPathElement(i)+" ") Then 
            sBuffer = Grab$(sBuffer, "<"+sPathElement(i)+" ", "</"+sPathElement(i)+">")
            If purge Then
              sBuffer = Remain$(sBuffer, ">")
            End If 
          Else 
            XML_LastError = "Tag " + $DQ + sPathElement(i) + $DQ + " was not found in the path " + sXPath          
          End If

End If 
      Next                

Return sBuffer 

End Function

Petr
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 22-01-2012 at 22:10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast