Thread: QuakeCon 2011 - John Carmack Keynote

QuakeCon 2011 - John Carmack Keynote

The full speech, interesting because he talks about the technology being used for Rage & the differences between developing for Consoles & PCs.

Thanks for posting it Matthew!

As usually, very informative speech. What caught my attention was remark that the Rage might run at usable speed even on latest Intels - it seems they are really pushing it forward.
    And mentioning that Doom 3 code will be released is also very good news!

Petr

P.S. Another related interesting thing is recent release of OpenGL 4.2 specs
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 09-08-2011 at 19:29.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Hi Petr I found what he said at about the 70 minute mark interesting, when he mentioned wanting to try out a different programming language instead of C++ for game development. I heard about the release of the source-code a few days before I saw the video, it seems like a nice thing to do but I wonder how many people will be able to use it? I tried browsing through the source for Doom once & could hardly understand it.

Hi Matthew,

I found that note interesting as well. I am curious about the scripting of Doom 4 he mentioned.

Regarding releasing source code - the old ones were quite hard on the eyes, but I remember the one for Quake 3 was quite easy to follow. For me, the release of code from Id makes an interesting oportunity to study how they handled specific things - animation, collisions, ... I don't even try to read the whole code , but looking at some parts is usually interesting and inspiring. I remember they had some nice trick for fast SQRT in Quake 3, which I used in some of my projects later for example.

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

I listened to this video 55 minutes in, and was very interested to hear about the quality control necessary for several million lines of code worked on by a team of 200 developers.

He was suggesting that a restricted subset of c++ was what they needed to provide the necessary stability and performance for future development.

Charles

I heard that too Charles, treating C++ as if you're programming in Java & doing away with all the things that can go wrong in C++ like Manual Memory Management seems to make perfect sense. You keep the stability of Java but the speed of C++.

Quick Update: QuakeCon 2011 - John Carmack Keynote Q&A

Thanks a lot for adding it, I look forward to check it out during weekend, I am running out of tiiiiiiime now

Petr

EDIT: Just finished watching it, very interesting! Sad to hear that Quake Live was not as big success as they expected, but I am really looking forward to what they show in Rage this autumn, and keep my fingers crossed for them
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 20-08-2011 at 15:30.

Here is interview with Carmack at Gamasutra:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur...ck_on_rage.php

He confirmed what was said in the videos, that Rage is running at 30FPS on Sandy Bridge (Intel GPUs). That is pretty cool achievement, which maybe went unnoticed by most gamers, but seeing my colleague at work who could not run Mafia 2 on same GPU, and in Saboteur (2009) his card rendered only pixels on screen diagonal () ... this is interesting.

Petr

Hi Petr, nice interview. It's always good to read what he's got on his mind. Carmack & Notch (Creator of Minecraft) are probably the only two game developers that I really respect. On the subject of the Saboteur, I brought it on the day of it's release for my PS3. I've recently started playing it again because I want to try & get a few more Trophies.