Thread: OS_ShellExecute a sequence of programs (a daisy-chain)

OS_ShellExecute a sequence of programs (a daisy-chain)

Hi all,

Can anyone help with this problem?

I would like to run an initial program (call it Prog1) which, when it has finished its purpose, runs another program (call it Prog2) and Prog1 stops, whilst Prog2 continues.

Then, when Prog2 has finished its purpose, it runs another program (call it Prog3) and Prog2 stops, whilst Prog3 continues, etc, etc.

I have written three simple test programs to see how this might work, but no matter what I do, I can only get one program to execute another. The next execution attempted (by the second program) fails, without any error.

e.g. Prog1 will run Prog2, but Prog2 won't run Prog3. Also Prog2 will run Prog3, so there appears to be nothing wrong with the code in Prog2.

It's a complete puzzle. Is there a limit of only one operation in the OS_ShellExecute function?

I am running Win7 64-bit.

My code for Prog1 is shown below and is virtually identical in Prog2, etc, except that the titles of the programs being executed are changed to the appropriate ones:

' Test OS_ShellExecute

' Prog 1

Uses "OS", "console"

Dim pID As Long

Cls
    PrintL "PROGRAM 1."
    PrintL
    PrintL "Now about to run Program 2....."
    pID = OS_ShellExecute("open","OS_Shell_prog2.tbasic","","",1)
    PrintL "pID=",pID
    PrintL

If pID>0 Then
    PrintL "pID was greater than zero, so Prog 2 should run."
    End If
    WaitKey

regards
    JohnP
    Last edited by JohnP; 19-06-2011 at 00:30.

I you hit the wall, ScriptBasic supports a cascading preprocessor feature that sounds like what you need. The output (results) of the first preprocessor script is the input to the next.

Just an idea if the frustration level becomes overwhelming.

John
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

JohnP,

OS_ShellExecute command is not the right solution.
    OS_ShellExecute is a wrapper of ShellExecute http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx and its main purpose is running verbs ("open", "print", "find", "explore") over registered files extensions and/or operating system shell commands.
    Also OS_ShellExecute does not return a process id but just a "not true process handle" HINSTANCE, it is just a number (I will improve documentation on this)

What I think you need is OS_Shell command (whose purpose it to create a new process) using %OS_SHELL_ASYNC option.

Attached two example scripts, the first executes the second and stops. The second execute the third and stop ... and so on.
    Remember to remove WaitKey otherwise calling script will still wait for a key to be pressed.

Let me know if it is what you need.

First script
    '-------------------------------------------------------
    ' OS_Shell_prog1.tbasic

Uses "OS"
    Uses "console"

PrintL "START ", APP_ScriptName

'...
    '...do all the jobs this script has to do...
    '...

'---Now execute next script  
    Dim thinBasic       As String = APP_Path & APP_Name
    Dim NextScript_Name As String = APP_ScriptPath & "OS_Shell_prog2.tbasic"
    Dim NextScript_pID  As DWord

'---Executed in async mode. Execution of this script will immediately continue after this command
    NextScript_pID = OS_Shell(thinBasic & " " & $DQ & NextScript_Name & $DQ, %OS_WNDSTYLE_NORMAL, %OS_SHELL_ASYNC)
    PrintL "Executed process ", NextScript_pID

PrintL "STOP ", APP_ScriptName

WaitKey

Second script
    '-------------------------------------------------------' OS_Shell_prog2.tbasic

Uses "OS"
    Uses "console"

PrintL "START ", APP_ScriptName

'...
    '...do all the jobs this script has to do...
    '...

'---Now execute next script    
    Dim thinBasic       As String = APP_Path & APP_Name
    Dim NextScript_Name As String = APP_ScriptPath & "OS_Shell_prog3.tbasic"
    Dim NextScript_pID  As DWord

'---Executed in async mode. Execution of this script will immediately continue after this command
    NextScript_pID = OS_Shell(thinBasic & " " & $DQ & NextScript_Name & $DQ, %OS_WNDSTYLE_NORMAL, %OS_SHELL_ASYNC)
    PrintL "Executed process ", NextScript_pID

PrintL "STOP ", APP_ScriptName

WaitKey

Attached Files Attached Files
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hi John, Eros,

Thank you both for your very prompt and helpful replies.

@John:
    I have had an eye on ScriptBasic for some time and will keep up my interest, thanks.

@Eros:
    Your explanation has hit the nail on the head.
    I have obviously misinterpreted the purpose of the OS_ShellExecute command and if the thinBasic Help file is extended to contain your clarification, it will help others from falling into the trap that I did.

I have run your suggested code and it does exactly what I wanted.
    At a stroke, you have solved a problem I have had for months!

It allows me to split a long, complex program up into 'modules' (each of which deal with particular program operations and which I can use for other related programming tasks) which are each sequentially executed. That helps me to concentrate on programming specific functions within each 'module' and, then, when I encounter an error, it helps me to locate and deal with that specific error more quickly.

Thank again,

regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
    I have run your suggested code and it does exactly what I wanted.
    At a stroke, you have solved a problem I have had for months!
    Next time, do not wait and ask

We are here to help. Maybe we cannot reply in one second, maybe we have a solution for the next day or so but we will try our best to explain and find a way.
    Also requests like yours let us know that something is not correct in thinBasic and/or thinBasic documentation letting us improve the material we produce.

Ciao and thanks
    Eros
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi View Post
    Next time, do not wait and ask

We are here to help. Maybe we cannot reply in one second, maybe we have a solution for the next day or so but we will try our best to explain and find a way.
    Also requests like yours let us know that something is not correct in thinBasic and/or thinBasic documentation letting us improve the material we produce.

Ciao and thanks
    Eros
    Eros,

I try not to waste your valuable time. So I try to solve a problem first, before asking.
    But OK, I'll still do that, but will ask for help sooner in future.

Right! Here is the next question then!

If the programs being called sequentially have been 'bundled' (NextScript_Name = 'OS_Shell_Prog2.exe' rather than 'OS_Shell_Prog2.tbasic'), how do you then refer to them in the code below?

I guessed that one omits the 'thinbasic & ""' part, but that didn't work.

regards
    JohnP

Ok, here thinBasic has a problem and at the moment I do not know how to solve.
    A bundled exe is a sort of .ZIP file containing all the files (original script in obfuscated way plus thinBasic.exe plus all needed modules) needed to execute the original script without the need to have thinBasic installed on the target machine.
    When you call first bundled exe: all files are exploded on disk (as system hidden files) in the same directory of the exe
    When the first script try to OS_Shell the second bundled exe, it try to explode mainly the same files of the first, but they are already there so an internal error would occur and second exe will not be executed.
    Maybe an option could be to create bundled exe setting the flag "Activate Isolation"
    This flag instruct the bundled exe that when it is executed, explosion of all the files must take place into a random named directory created under current bundled exe directory. In such a way there will be no conflict between different bundled exe execution.
    So if you execute your script from something like C:\thinBasic\SampleScripts\OS\Test\
    in reality it will be executed from something like C:\thinBasic\SampleScripts\OS\Test\z8216tmp\
    In this case your script 1 should calculate the directory from which execute script 2 (is quite easy using somthing like Dim NextScript_Path As String = LEFT$(LEFT$(APP_ScriptPath, -1), InStr(-1, LEFT$(APP_ScriptPath, -1), "\")))

But I have tested this option and script 2 seems executed not from C:\thinBasic\SampleScripts\OS\Test\xxxxtmp\ but from C:\thinBasic\SampleScripts\OS\Test\xxxxtmp\z8216tmp\
    So it seems bundled exe takes its current directory from the caller bundled exe and not from its exe path

So, I'm sorry but I do not a solution right now using bundled exe.

Last chance is to use obfuscated scripts, their execution is like executing a normal script (so previous examples should work) and change script extension to .tBasicx
    The problem here is that you must have thinBasic installed in your target machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ErosOlmi View Post
    Ok, here thinBasic has a problem and at the moment I do not know how to solve......... So, I'm sorry but I do not a solution right now using bundled exe.

Last chance is to use obfuscated scripts, their execution is like executing a normal script (so previous examples should work) and change script extension to .tBasicx.

The problem here is that you must have thinBasic installed in your target machine.

Eros,

I am most grateful for your comprehensive reply.
    It really helps to know when one has reached the current limits, and so I won't try to do the impossible!

I will stick to using plain normal script, for simplicity, with thinBasic installed on the target machine. That's fine, thanks.

regards
    JohnP