Thread: A little dose of vitamine C[armack]

A little dose of vitamine C[armack]

E3 this year was packed with some interesting new titles, and after some time, even with interesting interviews with John Carmack, the brain behind the Id Tech n engines.

One interesting interview here (text):
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-now-interview

Second interesting interview here (video), quite long, but worth watching:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/06/08/e3...anti-aliasing/

There is one interesting information in the text one, and that is note about new OpenGL extension doing hybrid V-Sync. If I read it correctly, it is exactly the approach suggested in code example in TBGL_UseVSync help file topic, but working automagically, without need to control when to turn it on/off manually.

Petr

EDIT: This post causes overflow with excessive use of "Interesting", but it is really like that
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 17-06-2011 at 21:35.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Very clever post title Petr.

Thanks, just watched the video. It is encouraging and ends my debate I have with myself about dumping the PC and going Consoles for gaming. PC's it is

What did he mean by the limits on the PC of not being able to write to the hardware directly? I thought OpenGL does talk to the hardware directly, any ideas on that?

Hi Kent,

I think both OpenGL and Direct3D are too "high level" for JC. I think he would like to use raw power to control everything - OpenCL and CUDA are closer to this, because while OGL/D3D sees GPU as device for graphics, OCL/CUDA sees GPU as general purpose computing device.

And there you can for example define 100% custom rendering pipeline, while with OGL/D3D, although highly general, still affect a lot the way you design program.

This is how I understand this complaint, but I may be wrong - I will try to follow next interviews and will see...

Petr
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Regarding "direct access", there exists one very recent OpenGL extension adressing this issue from state point of view, specification can be read here:
    http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs...ate_access.txt

Petr

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.