Thread: Scientific Proof: There is no afterlife!

Scientific Proof: There is no afterlife!

Remember, since God has decreed it, there can be no dissent!

But seriously, I wonder if his pronouncement is based on reason, or emotion.

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark,"

(Apparently, he is not afraid - like the rest of us. I bet he doesn't even sleep with a nightlight! He knows there's nothing in the closet! I want to be as brave as him!!)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...e-is-no-heaven

"You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

Here and now is the window of opportunity. Use your time wisely or regrets will be all you have to talk about in the end.
    ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    Attributed to Mark Twain

Charles
    Last edited by Charles Pegge; 18-05-2011 at 11:50.

Hawking of course are very clever in math/physics, but he can't nor anyone convey the experience of color yellow to a person who never saw that color, or for the blind. and i don't mean to show him yellow pencil (1). it is useless to describe it that it is an electromagnetic wave with a frequency of x angstrom. i will pay attention about his philosophical theories when he solve this true problem.

(1) or to trigger the cortex by electronic pulses , this is the same as showing him the yellow pencil.
    Last edited by zak; 17-05-2011 at 08:32.

He will write an opposite proof in the afterlife, he's just covering both sides of the bet right now.

I used to say the same thing about death, Charles. For instance, I would say, "I was dead in 1850, and it didn't bother me.". That was when I was convinced there was nothing beyond the grave.

I agree with you zak, he has an advantage over us when it comes to solving physics problems, but, he knows no more than we do concerning death. I think he reveals himself when he mentions being, "afraid of the dark". (When you want to hear beautiful music you find a great musician. But, when you want to get your car fixed, you can probably do it at least as good as the musician can.)

That's a good idea, Kent, bet against the afterlife while you're here.

But, I wonder why he is going public with this now. He is 69. Maybe he feels he is near the end of the road. It could be my own subjectivity, but, I sense some anger in him. I think he is angry about having to live for 49 years with ALS. I think he is angry at the God he believes does not exist. I think he is angry that if God exists, He seemingly remains silent and passive. Otherwise, why would Hawking publicly say anything at all about the subject? Before he publishes any of his physics theories, he devotes a great amount of time and energy carefully doing the mathematics, and checking the calculations. He wants to be sure he is correct first. But, with respect to death, science can prove nothing at all, so, in my opinion, his pronouncement is wildly speculative. Why would a guy who is normally so guarded about the ideas he makes public, suddenly speak out so recklessly, like a drunken man? To me, it seems like impulsive emotion. (Not that I have anything in common with Hawking, but, sometimes I also find myself becoming angry at the God who I think most likely does not exist.)

"You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

(don't read the following very seriously) take it easy, as to know the reality is like killing yourself.
    in the article about near death experiences http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...h-experiences/ some researchers are trying to reject the phenomena they said :"Perhaps NDEs aren’t evidence of an afterlife, but illusions created by a dying (oxygen deprived) brain. Cardiac arrest and the anesthesias used in ERs are capable of triggering NDE-like brain states"
    possibly true, but this can't disprove the afterlife, the proof for afterlife are exceptionaly simple: you go to sleep, after several hours you awake, aren't this a resurrection !!!.aren't you the same person, entity, else you will awake and yourself are your neighbor's self sleeping beside his wife, and vice versa.
    the same thing exactly when we die, we lose consciousness, and after billions of years there is a probability that you will awake, and your consciousness and entity will be emerged inside some body not necessary on this planet or this universe or inside a human, with a complete lose of your previous memory, may be sometimes in the moon light you will feel something more.
    the problem is where that entity fabricated, are there a "Entities Factory" or "Entities manufactureres Ltd" if the neural network triggered that entity, okay but that entity will be previously exist somewhere, (somewhere does not imply a 3 or 4th Dimensional place)
    if a scientist can pinpoint where that special entity exist and how to trigger it again then he can preserve himself forever. but there is a problem, what about the ultimate wisdom, can that wisdom be happy with this manipulation !!!.
    when mark twain said "I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born", how can he sure that he was dead for billions and billions of years before he was born !!!.
    we are very limited, we say why the aliens don't talk to us? the answer is that they don't chat. and we don't have techo they can use. so why they need to talk to us?. they are just watching us.

The Afterlife Investigations 1 - Rupert Sheldrake, PhD

(Discussion of NDEs 9 minutes in..)

-->

Rupert Sheldrake - The Science Delusion

Reviews:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...e-6285286.html

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/8ec688c6-3...#axzz1ilwA5vYx