View Poll Results: Do you prefer to move and forget current SMF?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 66.67%
  • No

0 0%
  • Do what you think is best

4 33.33%
  • Other ('lease state)

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New forum: move or wait?

New forum: move or wait?

Hi all,

current SMF forum (this forum) has problems I'm not able to fix. I tried all what I think about but nothing.
    Almost all images and almost all attached compressed files seems corrupted when downloaded even if on server disk they are OK
    Porting files to the new forum seems a no problem path.

New forum is located http://www.thinbasic.com/community/forum.php
    New forum is up and running updated to few days ago.
    I can convert current forum again in about 1 hour time: users, forums, threads, messages, personal messages, attached file.

What I cannot port to new forum are users password because they are crypted in the DB but I have a procedure that send a mail to each user asking to click on a personalized link in order to reset password. A very easy process.

What I still have to solve in new forum is a way to add syntax highlighting. There are 2 syntax highlighters modules for vBulletin forum but both are very old and are not working with current 4.0.8 vBulletin version.

Of course there are also other things to setup and understand (vBulletin back office is quite vast and complex) but in few weeks I think I can get them all.

Now the question is: do you want I move to new forum in any case even if all is not setup or working as expected, including syntac highlighter?

I will wait for the answers of those who most use thinBasic community forum before taking final decision.

Thanks a lot to all and for all.
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Re: New forum: move or wait?

[font=courier new][size=8pt]I say, move now.

But, I can't log in at the new forum. It said it would send me my password, but it didn't.

I also cannot register there.

(I guess that is what you were talking about in your post.)

Currently, as far as the new forum is concerned, I am no one.

Dan
    "You can't cheat an honest man. Never give a sucker an even break, or smarten up a chump." - W.C.Fields

Hi Eros,

I also voted for move now. You want to make the switch one day anyway. Besides that you don't have much time atm, I would see no reason to wait.

Cheers
    Michael

Ok,

because I need to support users for any problem the day I will move and the day after, I think I will try to make the move to the new forum between Friday and Saturday (the 4th and the 5th of Nov). In this way Saturday and Sunday can be used to setup and support.

Ciao
    Eros
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

That sounds good to me

The move will be performed just for forum, the main site change will be done later once ready, am I correct?

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

So ...do i must register new account or not?
    If you all for moving to new forum ok for me to.
    Even i dont like vBulettin to much for me is simplier good old SMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Eros Olmi
    Ok,

because I need to support users for any problem the day I will move and the day after, I think I will try to make the move to the new forum between Friday and Saturday (the 4th and the 5th of Nov). In this way Saturday and Sunday can be used to setup and support.

Ciao
    Eros
    Godo decision.

Quote Originally Posted by zlatkoAB
    So ...do i must register new account or not?
    If you all for moving to new forum ok for me to.
    Even i dont like vBulettin to much for me is simplier good old SMF.
    Wait till the final announcement. Eros said before that the user accounts will be moved but you need to reset your password. He wants to email everyone with the instructions
    on how to do it. But this plan might change so wait till you read about the final words.

There will be 1 or 2 hours during the move where you will not be able to use new forum and this forum will be closed.
    This to avoid to create new threads and/or posts in this forum that will not be ported to new forum.

All user names and info will be maintained. Only avatars and password will not be valid.

If move will be successful, I will create an automatic mail to all users with the instructions on how to reset a new password in the new forum.
    If the move will NOT be successful, I will re-activate old forum and I will try again when I will have solved the problems. But this should not happen because all recent tests showed not blocking problems.

After the move, I will be on line in both forums and via mail (support at thinbasic dot com also received in my mobile) to assist users having any problem during Saturday and Sunday in the new forum.

It should work.

Ciao
    Eros

The thinBASIC SMF forum has always been the slowest responding and most over weight forum I visit. The new vBulletin forum now multiplies that slowness by a factor of 5 at a minimum. I visited the ScriptBasic sub board on TB and there were no posts. I have to do a search if I want to see anything older than 30 days.

For the dozen or so TB users that post here on a regular basis, I think your are wasting a lot of time on forum software when it should be spent on TB 2.0 and getting more users to try thinBASIC. IMHO

ScriptBasic Project Manager
    Project Site
    support@scriptbasic.org

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.