Thread: Few thoughts on OpenCL, first custom problem solved

Few thoughts on OpenCL, first custom problem solved

After few weeks swimming in OpenCL, I found out few interesting facts.

You can download ATi Computing SDK and use OpenCL.DLL from there to run OpenCL on your multicore AMD CPU, but on my 1 cored Sempron it performs a bit worse than C#.

Situation with GPU OpenCL is much more interesting, the drivers converged both on ATi and NVIDIA side to state you can use OpenCL without being angry too often.

I just finished fine tuning the first custom problem for GPU, which is not adaptation of classic problems such a convolution or FFT. More or less it is precomputing 360° ray collision with model of real world environment.
    The original version takes minutes on CPU, on 9500GT GPU I get 40x boost, resulting in change to just few seconds. This all driven from within ThinBasic.

I am prepairing article on this topic, which sadly cannot be published before September 2010, when it will be presented on robotics conference. To entertain you a bit, I attach the image output of the method in ground floor of university building.

Petr

UPDATE: Articles can be downloaded here
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Petr Schreiber; 03-01-2011 at 18:41.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Re: Few thoughts on OpenCL, first custom problem solved