Thread: OnLive

OnLive

www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Re: OnLive

If the technology really works, then it is something to look forward. But I doubt it will be cheap.

It is very interesting concept,

first I thought the hardware vendors might not like it, but then I realised the buyer of hardware just changes from the player to the provider of service. What is scary that I think it is not very much possible to run multiple games on the same PC, so each player will have one normal PC + one remote PC, installed somewhere. How the provider will store the PCs, I don't know Sure it will need pretty massive cooling and lot of energy, if they will keep it all in one building.

Other problem I see here is the way you pay the gaming time.
    I think still quite a big percent of players is under 18, and if I imagine father will enter the credit card number for payments once, and then let the kid enjoy the games alone, he may end up with empty credit card very soon , as the ordering is just 2 clicks away in the browser without any special confirmations and kids usually try to try everything.

I am curious if this model will succeed.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

It will succeed if they will provide the service centers world wide. That will be a lot and it depends strongly on the infrastructure of the inet in these countries!

Incredible this is. First besides what they are demonstrating for gaming.. the more important thing for me is this new encoding for video. Having high quality video on the fly with moderate bandwidth in itself is the big revolution. The gaming aspect is a clever way to introduce it but this will be a great way for dispensing all types of media content. It will change communications, so now perhaps our cell phones can turn into visual communication devices finally.

As for the money drain... this is true. I ordered a bunch of games on Steam this Christmas and got a call from my Credit Card company wanting to make sure my card was not being fraudulently used, I told them.. know I did make all those purchases

I think a better thing would be, pay a fixed monthly fee and get access to all the content, games, movies... sort of like you do now. You pay for cable tv, you get unlimited time to watch that month all the content. On the internet you pay a monthly fee and get unlimited time to surf.

I think Onlive should just go to monthly tiers, all the gaming you want for so much, video entertainment for this fee, audio entertainment only for this much, then of course combo packages. But I think having a fixed price that you know you can budget will be how it ends up.

Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.