Maybe for expressions I would add that:
    [code=thinbasic]
    x = x + y
    [/code]
    can be written as
    [code=thinbasic]
    x += y
    [/code]

... and so on. I find this very elegant.
    Please see "Assignment operators" topic in the help.

Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Re: Idea for tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by marcuslee
    Wish I had money to give. Maybe in the future. But, we are moving because we don't have much money. Well, that's one of the reasons anyway.
    Mark,

we do not need money. Of course they are welcomed and will help to pay thinBasic web bills (we are on a dedicated physical server).

The fact you are still with us, the fact you are making a great job, the fact you are helping us to create better, updated and more professional material, the fact you are spending your time (and time is so precious) here ... well, all this really pays and says it all.

So, to me you are making a great job for which I can only say a big thanks. Your tutorial will be present in next thinBasic release.
    Never forgot real life (your family, your job, your friends, ...) must always have higher priority but you already know that.

Ciao and thanks again
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Quote Originally Posted by Petr Schreiber
    Maybe for expressions I would add that:
    [code=thinbasic]
    x = x + y
    [/code]
    can be written as
    [code=thinbasic]
    x += y
    [/code]

... and so on. I find this very elegant.
    With some of these basic topics, there is a lot that can be said, a lot that can be covered. I haven't decided if I want to write short articles, thus having an Advanced Expression article later on or write longer articles that cover more material.

I wouldn't really consider your suggestion advanced, but it isn't the most basic either. What do you think?

Mark

For an experienced developer

[code=thinbasic]

x += y
    [/code]

is more elegant, but I think for a beginner it could be confusing at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Eros Olmi
    The fact you are still with us, the fact you are making a great job, the fact you are helping us to create better, updated and more professional material, the fact you are spending your time (and time is so precious) here ... well, all this really pays and says it all.
    I appreciate that!

So, to me you are making a great job for which I can only say a big thanks. Your tutorial will be present in next thinBasic release.
    Never forgot real life (your family, your job, your friends, ...) must always have higher priority but you already know that.
    I do what I can. Do you have any idea when the next release is going to be? I don't want any articles I've added to be kind of half done if the release is going to be soon. If there isn't any idea about when it might be or if it is a little far off, I'll continue as I have done so far.

As regards the Modification Date and Authors, I'm guessing that this needs to be done on an article by article basis. If that's the case, do I need to have the date in the header as it is in the most recent update? Or, does this need to be manually put in with each article? If we only have the one date at the top, do we need to specify somehow which articles are new?

I made some fairly significant changes to the format because I thought it would be easier to organize, but I am not sure what to do about authors and modification dates. Personally, I am happy with one date at the top of the tutorial, and as far as authors go, I don't really care if my name appears anywhere. I am happy to go with the consensus. If someone else wants to submit something, their name can appear on the article if they wish.

However, I see the need to know what is new material and what has always been there. I'm not sure how to accomplish that with the changes I have made. Suggestions are welcome, of course.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hartlef
    For an experienced developer

[code=thinbasic]

x += y
    [/code]

is more elegant, but I think for a beginner it could be confusing at first.
    Yeah, that was my thinking. There is much I didn't put into the article about expressions. There's plenty for another go around later.

I've attached another update. I will be deleting the previous one right after posting this. Should I continue to update the way I have been? Or should I have a place to always keep the most recent update, maybe the top of a new topic?

Personally, I don't want to add more on to Eros, so I don't really want to just submit it to him through email as he initially requested ... though I will do as he tells me. I like the feedback I get from others, suggesting to add something or whatever. Y'all might even catch some of my mistakes.

EDIT: The changes to this version are mostly around the articles I have written. The "Conditions" article is basically complete. The "Input & Output" article has a new label on the side and a section covering MsgBox and Alert have been added, though part of that may have been in the last update. I'm not sure since I'm not really good at documenting changes. My hats off to Eros!

Mark
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, have the new version always attached to the very first post.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hartlef
    Yes, have the new version always attached to the very first post.
    Well, the next time I update, I will probably start a new topic for my unofficial updates.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by marcuslee
    Do you have any idea when the next release is going to be? I don't want any articles I've added to be kind of half done if the release is going to be soon. If there isn't any idea about when it might be or if it is a little far off, I'll continue as I have done so far.
    We are in Beta phase of version 1.7.10 so even if some article is unfinished I think it is OK.
    Expect a new beta every week or so. I will release a new one in 2/3 days depending when I will finish current changes.
    Definitive final version by mid of Dec.

As already said, the best is to have only one version of tutorial in one single place.
    Choose a forum where to work, make a new post and update tutorial file always in first post of that thread.

Ciao
    Eros

www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Quote Originally Posted by Eros Olmi
    We are in Beta phase of version 1.7.10 so even if some article is unfinished I think it is OK.
    Expect a new beta every week or so. I will release a new one in 2/3 days depending when I will finish current changes.
    Definitive final version by mid of Dec.
    How you do that is beyond me!! Work a real job and accomplish so much with thinBasic. You are a god among men!

That gives me a time table to work with. I would like to be able to get the tutorial to a certain spot. We'll see. But, it seems that it doesn't matter. If I miss it, the next beta comes knocking on the door. I don't think I have ever seen any other program updated as much.

As already said, the best is to have only one version of tutorial in one single place.
    Choose a forum where to work, make a new post and update tutorial file always in first post of that thread.
    Yeah, I kinda knew that even when I was asking. Sometimes I just like talking for talking sake. I'll work on that!

Mark

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast