Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Alternative IDEs

thinBasic MVPs
    It looks good at least... I played the vs code also, dis-assembled it with an axe and chopped it to small pieces to find the point where i could hook thinBasic. VS Code - obviously is the code editor shipped with visual studio and there are plenty of extensions that remove the managed-.net-language which has nothing to do with basic. IMO except Smallbasic microsoft has not published any language that could be named basic since 1998.

Anyway there are so many as typescript, lua, vbscript to name a few that are embedded in a way the core-commands of .net-language are completely useless and its only those widepages.filling.long.and.verbose.dot-separated.snake.usedto.access.stuff.as.System.FileIO.Collections.FileWhateverthingsclass.ofthedirectoryinfoqueryinformationsclassrepositoryobject=iUnknown that still remain -
    i am certain the WSH can be used to open the door for thinbasic to jump into and be the language used to perform the reaction on the events that are fired -independent from any language- against the window- and control-objects to invoke the execution of a function or sub by tossing that -what we decode in a callback-function from 10 long variables and in some cases from a notifications-udt- is thrown as some event and eventargs named parameters into a function where one of those half-languages will try to filter bugs and handle exceptions over anything else. the language is that weak that it would not run without a human supervisor who compiles and starts it.

Thats why its called "managed" code:
    the code needs a manager who will schedule when the code must run and who will be there to show himself responsible and can be blamed eventually for the insufficience because he just did not trap enough errors. Being stupid is not the languages fault at all

To say it in italian:
    microsofte have a maserati in the garage that never gets to drive unlimited from the own machina but gets pulled on a rope by a 125' fiat that has all flat tires
    I think there are missing some Forum-sections as beta-testing and support

The reason I wanted to switch to a new IDE is,
    1. When I scroll up & down with the laptop's touchpad, it scrolls horizontally.
    2. If I change the editor font, It won't save that change. I edited the INI file and wrote my font name. But no luck.
    3. Intellisense is poor.

So for these reasons, I first tried in Sublime Text. It's more faster than VS Code. But I couldn't find any option to change the syntax highlighting permanently. It wants me to change the syntax highlighting each time I open the file. (Just like RJTextEd)
    After ST3, I choose VS Code and it worked like a charm.

thinBasic MVPs
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvinu View Post
    ... If I change the editor font, It won't save that change. I edited the INI file and wrote my font name. But no luck.
    in Thinair_ Its construction site. You can no more use the old ini but pick a theme - kind of xml-files
    right-click into the editor window to (re-)load a theme. turn of codetips and avoid the mouse to point on the code- sometimes needs hours until thinair becomes responsive again while its trying to figure which of the keywords where its inbetween it is supposed to open in hel. Mostly chooses completely wrong help file . not even #Compiled nor #Endcompiled within my code. I wondered why it was always trying to open freebasic help when i do not use freebasic. Anyway i did change something and have no more files in the thinBasic-help-subdir which is already a big relief since its not loading and opening helpfiles by iteself.

For the spellchecking / especially syntax-checking i dont know. i tried already to remove all files from thinairs syntax subdir to avoid that it gets stuck while i am not finished typing seems it localizes a bug in that what i just wrote and then... remains in this state.

I returned to use synwrite. its after all the best alternative even its no more developed. You could as well look for cuda-editor which is the project that the author of synwrite prefered to develop - but to be honest, synwrite may have a few bugs but as cuda is still maintained - the lexers can be used from cuda in synwrite or vice versa - even languages that did not exist when synwrite was developed are available through cuda. And i've found something that you will not believe.
    I place a few links here somehow all have some syn- syn - syntax related ah, just look.
    Very interesting: you can use any of them - even the syntax editors are quite a bit different - one of them has really good explanation and ... with that syntax editor sdk and all those different projects
    i did not link cuda here did i? In case you need a lexer ...
    autohotkey i would recommend and the AutoGUI: ressource hacker was yesterday.
    Today we clone complete IDEs
    Use the AutoGUI-clone window-function and create a copy of --- a window?
    yes yes, go ahead just try...clone your editor

some materials look around - there's plenty.
    surprise surprise
    cypr~ise no pyccku #2

what the hell is synedit?

now its getting confusing.another synedit-project...
    the tiny letter t makes a difference
    ?
    obviously... they can not remain in one place...

unicode? Certainly. the old highliter is a lightweight compared to the newer ones.
    It does not have the burdens. Its faster than anything that came after it.

ThinBasic will always be 32Bit WinAPI compatible but for development that shall run on all machines
    using a x64 makes sense.
    Just dont only pick the x64-downloads- get the x86 as well if available
    a bit
    we are out of control? Only get the zip 2.3.0. here...
    if these are registered (regsvr32 /i full\path\file.ext) to the system
    >>> autogui-clone-utility might learn a few more spells ...
    required classnames watch it: case sensitive!t

a few more nuts and bolts...
    oh - aint that..???...yes it is check for the activeX/com - if your system is x64 then get both
    x86 and x64. if not, get both also and strive for a new machine soon
    what for? check UIAdv and UI samples for a Webbrowser-utility... makes the editor scripteable and
    integrates help-files directly into the editor.
    Btw. Webview2-control (based on chromium edge) is available also at microsoft. If you like it more than the control based on IE you would pull its teeth in the registry to avoid Bing and add
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search]
    "BingSearchEnabled"=Dword:0x00000000

so it will not repeatedly open the internet if supposed to search inside of local help-materials

Will not succeed without the advice of Nir Sofer, this is the clue - or the glue ?
    - the dirt that is to dig before some nuggets can appear.

Now have fun with your new scripteable high-performance coding-editor kit
    Synwrite is a good base although a few features are not enabled.

look for textfiles anywhere in synwrite's subfolders
    watch for words as "hidden" or "secret".
    here you can get some idea - its great cow basic integrated to what was synwrite previously. Not a language to type but drag and drop symbols together to something like flowcharts. The perfect example to display the nonsense:
    Synwrite is a texteditor... the code of gcb is created through drag & drop of icons... do you get it?

In VSCode i have the problem its using wide-string that means that i pass my code to thincore like

t.h.i.s . w.e.r.e . s.o.m.e . c.o.d.e. dots are the hi byte / low byte is first
    put an array of words upon it then it were this:
    t.
    h.
    i.
    s.
    w.
    e.
    r.
    e.
    s.
    o.
    m.
    e.
    c.
    o.
    d.
    e.

that looks as a byte-array with 2 dimensions.... how could thincore filter so it uses only the half of the script?
    Its pretty annoying having to convert it always and if i forget to ... probably best to create a shortcut and pass the filename to it.
    a small script will parse the script for included files and create copies of them with an extension as tb8, tb8C, tb8I, tb8U or .in8 and replaces the "asic" with 8, save it to ascii/utf8 and delegate the call further to thinBasic.exe to run them...
    Maybe Eros finds a way to let thinBasic.exe check if a script uses 1, 2 or 4 bytes per char and let it load only the necessary 25% or 50%
    by making it a 2-dimesional byte-array, i e.
    BpC (Bytes per Char )
    cocs (count of chars) =lenf(scriptcontent)/BpC

dim bChar(BPC, cocs) : the script were only bchar(1,1) to bChar(1, cocs) - i guess it would not even need to save it...
    Last edited by ReneMiner; 29-04-2021 at 15:11.

thinBasic MVPs
    I was very astonished yesterday when i checked out UltraEditStudio. https://www.ultraedit.com/
    Not astonished about i had fallen for another peace of trialware once more nor that it is a texteditor with htm-abilities that promises to handle all of my tasks i may have on github - where i still not have understood how it works- all i ever downlad there are zip-files that contain lots of clutter but except for petr's Ebook about udts and relax - some independent compiler that evolutes its very own programming language - i never was able to download anything that let me do more than unzip it.

However this UEStudio looked ok from screenshot - i was searching for some GUI-design software - and i did not see it were a trial since on the other site it was labelled "free software" i downloaded and started to check it out. Very nice startup showed me as first the 6 major settings to apply and it was really easy to configure and to check out all the options and possibilities it offers, natural feeling without much reading where the limits are- it has integrated hundreds of languages and filetypes but lets you define at most 10 filetypes only.

Not a trial-limit though... and when i had to check/ uncheck languages that i would want to use it for i was confronted with a list that seemed not to have an end. And when the end was near i was surprised since i was convinced that i had to build some lexer and add some keyword-lists in order to use it for thinBasic. But: it was there already! Actually the first time i've found an editor that is able to highlight syntax and offers code-tips for thinBasic without the need to configure it.

(exception was the "Context"-editor once - that came with thinBasic too - i think Petr made the syntax-files for that like 15 years ago and context-developement was stopped around 10 years ago. Anyway i did not find the thinbasic-files for context before i was done creating these myself because the shipped lexer-files were hidden in some archive and there were no docs to it.)

So for the lazy or lack of time users - try for free if it fits your needs and maybe it's exactly the Editor made for you - or the editor that gives you the ideas that let you start to develop your own. It's worthy to have a look at it. If its worthy your money remains your decision.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234