PDA

View Full Version : How to recognizing pieces of a string?

martin
08-04-2009, 16:24
Hi Folks,

Just curious....
When I search in Google for "thilbasic" it says "Did you mean: thinbasic". The same thing with routeplanners. If I write a wrong streetname, they give a list of existing streetnames that sounds simulair to the one I wrote (wrong). I wonder how they programmed that. Can I easily program something simulair with Thinbasic? Is SQL in combination with VBRegExp module the way to do this?

B.t.w. there's not much info available about SQL commands in the help file. Will more info about SQL available in the next edition of ThinBasic?

Looking forward to your replies :)

Martin

ErosOlmi
08-04-2009, 17:06
Well,

what Google does is exactly what made them extremely rich so it is part of their secrets.
I suppose there can be many ways to achieve something similar. Maybe, on a little scale, this can be a very nice challenge for the community forum.

Regarding thinBasic and DB handling, the best way is to go is looking under \thinBasic\SampleScripts\ODBC\ directory and check examples in there.
To handle DB, thinBasic relay on an external library developed by Josè Rocha that wraps standard ODBC. Check the examples I mentioned above and if you have some precise request just ask and I will try to help. I have developed some thinBasic script for the company I work for to handle quite big MSSQL DB in/out data exchange.

Ciao
Eros

ErosOlmi
08-04-2009, 17:18
Some info on Google spelling corrections and other Google info:

http://www.googleguide.com/spelling_corrections.html

martin
09-04-2009, 12:39
Hi Eros,

Thanks for your quick answer. I will check those ODBC samplescripts! I also discovered the dictionary-module which is also very interesting! There's so much to learn for me in ThinBasic. I love the commands for string handling. In the past I programmed in VB6 but since I know ThinBasic I never want go back to that language!

Must go back to work now :unguee:

Greetings,
Martin