PDA

View Full Version : Concept: Citys

Michael Hartlef
13-10-2008, 08:41
Please post concepts for the 4 different cities here. Be it pencils drawing or 3D shapes.

Thanks
Michael

kryton9
13-10-2008, 22:45
I had a wild thought. How about the buildings just being Billboards (Sprites). This would allow more polygons to the track and vehicles and minimize overload of background.

Michael Hartlef
13-10-2008, 22:51
As you create the billboards from renderings anyway, I would go for a 3D approach first to see how the cut the performance.

Lionheart008
13-10-2008, 23:13
.. by the way... do you know "greeble" :) you can use it for buildings, cities or space ships or hover craft or gliders...

so far as I can see there is a 'blender' plugin script:

http://www.nccn.net/~w_rosky/evan/evan/programs/discombobulator/index.html

bye, Lionhead

Michael Clease
13-10-2008, 23:13
http://www.backnine.org/gallery/d/1545-2/Monteriggioni.jpg

I was thinking of walls like these cooling towers in shape but with a very large diameter

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Didcot_power_station_cooling_tower_zootalures.jpg

kryton9
13-10-2008, 23:28
.. by the way... do you know "greeble" :) you can use it for buildings, cities or space ships or hover craft or gliders...

so far as I can see there is a 'blender' plugin script:

http://www.nccn.net/~w_rosky/evan/evan/programs/discombobulator/index.html

bye, Lionhead

Frank, wow thanks for the link! When I watch 3d studio max videos from 3dPalace they use greebles a lot and I was always wishing it was available for blender.
Thanks again!

kryton9
13-10-2008, 23:30
http://www.backnine.org/gallery/d/1545-2/Monteriggioni.jpg

I was thinking of walls like these cooling towers in shape but with a very large diameter

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e7/Didcot_power_station_cooling_tower_zootalures.jpg

Thanks Abraxas for the pictures, it gives me a very good idea now of what you imagined.

kryton9
13-10-2008, 23:30
As you create the billboards from renderings anyway, I would go for a 3D approach first to see how the cut the performance.

Ok, sounds good Michael.

kryton9
14-10-2008, 00:19
Jason posted good questions on another thread about dimensions for the tracks and that got me to researching dimensions of walled cities.
I did a search on google for walled cities and got a list for the nicest walled cities in Europe.

Avila Spain was the first one. On Google Earth you can measure off of it and the walled part of Avila is approximately 1 km wide and 1/2 km high.

Those dimensions are also pretty close to some Grand Prix Circuits.

So since there will be 4 races in each city, I thought we could have the cities be 4 sections of 1 x .5 km for an overall city around 2 x 1km

Or should we since fictional just square up each section to 1x1 km and city of 2x2 km?

Lionheart008
14-10-2008, 13:29
dear michael, kent, abraxas and more here... :)

- I have created some minutes before a little tower for the game and it's no problem to make such things with more details or in another shape or you would like to have for the govern storys... the picture of the "cool-towers" I like ;D

- perhaps any reaction would be nice if such a tower fits for the game;)

- if I can how I wish to build/create models as this low-poly shaped tower I would build a better one;) must grin... after saving obj files and converting into M15 I am loosing always the bmp textures... when I have solved this strange behaviour of cinema I am happy again :) but I find a way... one example of a tower I add here...

- the last picture (align right) is the best one I would like to build in the same way, but with 'hypernurbs' (smooth and subdivide faces) the file size increase to over 1.2 MB, that's nothing I like...

bye, Lionheart

Michael Clease
14-10-2008, 23:35
http://www.terragalleria.com/images/us-ca/usca34645.jpeg
http://massengale.typepad.com/venustas/images/gougharsenalhousing-thumb.jpg
http://www.passia.org/jerusalem/meetings/2000/images/slide47.jpg
http://www.passia.org/jerusalem/meetings/2000/images/slide56.jpg

and this is something I like its just a bit to built up needs more green ;)

http://3danimation.e-spaces.com/3d_images/hi_rez/future_city.jpg

this is more like it

http://3danimation.e-spaces.com/graphic_design/future_city_downtown.jpg

final link for now.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/sci-fi-building-3d-model/411951
http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/postmodern.htm

@Frank - The cooling tower pictures above are a design for the walls not the buildings. :D

Lionheart008
15-10-2008, 00:36
hi michael 'abraxas'... uhps... must gulp ;)... I like such very nice scifi renderings, but these 3d rendering pictures belongs to the category 'artworks' are made in some weeks same as rom wasn't build in one day, must laugh... :D

- the cooling towers as very large columns surrounding a wall for the cities... so I have understood it... I make a plan or scribble (simple 2d/3d picture) how I imagine it...

- do you think for such scifi-city buildings as pure objects (3d models) or background pictures for the game??? I am sure these rendering files are very, very big... - this is by the way the same question I have asked on my new board (models, backgrounds and more)... it's important how to handle with the objects and scenes for the game...

I am not a gamer... doesn't forget... only the loading of textures and models will take some seconds when you have such big scenes and there will be a lot for the game ;) !

- how about this little robot friend as rebel fighter?
- and a flying ship with this shape?

think about it and make up my mind... work in progress... see you, good night, Lionheart

Lionheart008
15-10-2008, 01:20
dear michael abraxas :)...
hi all...

- such 'greeble' things are possible (I have changed a 'coffee script' - plugin- for cinema 4d to build this one!!!), I have created a very short dummy 'greeble buildings' object how you can see what happens with the simple cube form...

it's perhaps ideal for city buildings... but it's just my first try and I have to solve my little texture problems;) or somebody can help with...

- I can build such a kind of similar scifi-cities like the four, five scenes above you have sent here, but it's a time killing job, that's for sure... we must make compromises how precise and detailed the object should be or the background pictures...

good night, franko lionhead :D

Lionheart008
15-10-2008, 02:15
last one for today, tonight:)

two simple greeble towers for buildings, file size of towers obj 3.2 mb, that's useless to discuss... but the greeble structure are very interesting stuff ;)

good night, lionhead

kryton9
15-10-2008, 06:49
Those look really nice Frank. You are becoming a geeble master.

Petr Schreiber
15-10-2008, 08:20
Hi Michael [Clease],

some fantastic cities!
I think it clearly shows the city elements are not consistent in size, so unlike tracks, I think the city elements could vary let's say in multiples of track tile.

Frank, nice creations :)

It would be nice if each of artists could come up with ( even simple, paintbrushed :) ) vision of the city, underline its typical elements, and then start modeling necessary elements with "target look" in mind.

Petr

ISAWHIM
15-10-2008, 14:15
I will repost this quick bit of information here, since it is more relevant...

Until a specific unit concept can be argued for something different, I will assume these to be the current guide.

A "Block" will be 100 meters by 100 meters.

"Single", City and Track elements will be constrained to those dimensions, with city-blocks staying under 100 meters high. (That is about 330 feet high, or 33 stories, for real-life scale.)

I am suggesting that ONE city-block be designated as a "City-Landmark", and be 200 x 200 meters, but still only 100 meters high. This "City-Landmark", would be used in every track, for that city, as the focal-point of the map.

I think we should do like was suggested, for now, and keep the city-styles down to 4. If time is left, we can create more, one at a time, if desired. Four is a good starting point.

Of the two styles of city-blocks...
One should be a "Solid", used alone, to fill space.
One should be a "Fill", wrapped around the two "Common" track shapes. (The straight section and the curved section.)

Tracks will hopefully have a "Solid" version like the city, but would consume more of the area, and not have a standard shape to fill-in. The hope is, that the "Fill" city blocks can be overlaid on the track section, to bring the city close to the track, where a solid block would normally be away from the track.

I have attached the same sample 3DS file samples, to use as a guide, until something better comes along.

The scale is 1 unit = 1 meter. (There is a model called City00 with some samples of height and craft scale, as well as markings for "Stories" which are about 3 meters, and sidewalks etc.)

(Sidewalks are only there for scale purpose. I would not imagine that they would be of any use in the game.)

The border around the city is 2-lanes of a 4-lane city road. Where two blocks meet, they would form a 4-lane road.

I am working on a similar model for a city-wall, which we can use to outline the city areas. First, I am looking for acceptance or rejection for the idea of all city-sections being completely surrounded by water... Like a sectional group of islands...

Four cities, but each city/track area would be an island. A city could have 3 or 4 tracks/islands. 4 * 3 = 12 tracks, 4 * 4 = 16 tracks.

kryton9
15-10-2008, 15:10
I can't import the 3ds files into Blender Jason, it gives errors.

Anyone else having similar problems or is the problem on my side, thanks?

Lionheart008
15-10-2008, 20:50
hi kent, jason... :)

I can't import the 3ds files into Blender Jason, it gives errors.

Anyone else having similar problems or is the problem on my side, thanks?

a) I have no problems to load 3ds files.. ;)

@kent: I show you jasons examples ...

b) - info: the object size of the attached cities/blocks/tile tracks are limited to 100 meters (m) except the main single building (100city) with more than 120m (y) high dimensions... that's very ok for me...

qt: as I have similar thoughts belongs to the size of buildings and city area it would be nice if it's a fixed size what jason suggested...

A "Block" will be 100 meters by 100 meters.

"Single", City and Track elements will be constrained to those dimensions, with city-blocks staying under 100 meters high. (That is about 330 feet high, or 33 stories, for real-life scale.)

I am suggesting that ONE city-block be designated as a "City-Landmark", and be 200 x 200 meters, but still only 100 meters high. This "City-Landmark", would be used in every track, for that city, as the focal-point of the map.

=> ? my qt: same size questions will be to handle with landscapes (plants, flora, fauna) or water, sea, rocky mountains... and so on...

bye, lionheart
today I am in a hurry, tomorrow will come more input...

PS: @petr... the scribble or skizzing of cities will take one, two days... ;)

Lionheart008
15-10-2008, 21:04
"simple house for adrastos" people...

- ...show only an demo-example of a little 'cabin' because of the file size...
perhaps I can change the walls in that kind that the whole poor simple people can live there... some animals included...

- the dimension of the cabins are ca. 100m x 100m x 100m, I can scale it every time;)
when the adastros needs more cabins or food no problem... :)

bye, Lionheart

ps: Since 2-3 days I have some difficulties to load the thinstudio board and the forum or during open sites I can make a coffee for me ;)... don't know why... technical problem???

Michael Clease
15-10-2008, 21:52
Frank I was thinking more like this

http://courses.cit.cornell.edu/lanar525/images/Savannah/SavannahView.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/RobertNelsonIA/R5-MAePs34I/AAAAAAAAAE8/WuIe8F5gzyQ/s512/image-25.jpg

Lionheart008
15-10-2008, 21:59
hi all..

...city landmark area dummy... example... because of the dimension 200m x ?m x 200m ...

more than 5 cents per day isn't allowed;)

I am out now...

"City-Landmark", and be 200 x 200 meters, but still only 100 meters high. This "City-Landmark", would be used in every track, for that city, as the focal-point of the map.

good night, Frank Lionhead

PS: @abraxas: ok, I see how poor people living in it... best regards to the nelson family above... :D. I have thought they were making hot rhythm and blues musik ? ;)

Petr Schreiber
15-10-2008, 22:04
Hi Frank,

thanks for the models :) I just cannot imagine they could be 100 meters big. When I saw them it looked to me like that garden place where people from books drink tea and discuss advances in steam engines :)
Did you solved the texturing issue yet ( problem with their linking to obj )?

Michael, where do you get those reference images, again very good ones.
Imagine those guys from second photo standing around the track, I love it ;D

My ideas regarding Adrastos now took completely wild dimensions, imagine track with hovercraft in country side with hills like default background from Windows XP, few houses, and some sheeps on the hillsides.
It could be quite of contrast - all other cities will be modern metropolis, while this setting would be very different.

Ok, I go back to coding collisions, I tend to talk too much now :D

Petr

Michael Hartlef
15-10-2008, 22:47
Hi Petr, you asked for sketches. Here are mine so far. I told Kent that I'll work on Shanta.

SHANTA – Acoustics (The study of sound.) & Crystallography (The science of crystal structure and phenomena.)
Their use of crystal technology has revolutionised how their city is constructed, through the use of rapid growth techniques. They produce some of the hardest materials known to man and their sonic wave control is second to none, able to tear apart an object.

I envision it to have pointy buildings, clear shapes but no cubes. The colors are domain by blue and yellow. For city communications you will see radar bowls all over the place.

Here are the sketches. The first one are some buildings of shanta. The second should display the skyline. The landmark will be a huge pointy tower with a giant ring near the top.

kryton9
16-10-2008, 04:59
I am working on a similar model for a city-wall, which we can use to outline the city areas. First, I am looking for acceptance or rejection for the idea of all city-sections being completely surrounded by water... Like a sectional group of islands...

Jason, I didn't get the sense that the cities were surrounded by water, will have to hear what Mike C. thinks.

I personally thought they were connected by land and to make the background interesting to make terrain where the city walls would go up and down over hills with higher hills / mountains in the background in parts all in a sunny skied skybox.

I am working on a sample now it will take a few days as busy during the days these days, but as I mentioned come a few days into November I can devote lots of time to the project.

ISAWHIM
16-10-2008, 05:36
The only reason I suggested to use the same height restriction for the landmarks, was because of the view. A pyramid might be the full 100 meters (330 feet, 33 stories), but surrounding city-items would not all be that height, but some may. (The great pyramid is only about 150 meters tall.) It will be difficult to see up that high, from the craft, except in the distance.)

I was not imagining a "monolith" as a landmark, more like a sight... Like a town-center, city hall, central park, disneyland, hehe... Something that could be used for a cinematic entrance to the race. (Starting at the landmark, then pulling away to the race-track start positions, over the city. Finishing the race in a similar way, with the news-paper flying/rolling/spinning in to the view, as the scene becomes covered by the "City paper", with the headlines detailing the race results.)

So, I think what I am trying to say... in example of the pyramids... Don't make one giant 150 meter pyramid... Make a 100 meter pyramid, and the three smaller ones, as the whole scene. As your "short" example... make it full scale, as you imagine it, but scale it down to 100 meters, and add other items around it, to box it out to the 200 x 200 meter tile. (Trees, other smaller buildings, a grand entrance, a statue, etc.)

Kent, I can export in these formats...
(Should be imported, not opened raw, with most 3D editors, as an object or scene.)
3ds (3D-Studio Autodesk)
dwg (AutoCAD 3D)
dxf (AutoCAD 3D)
fbx (3D-Studio Autodesk)
obj (Export only, generic object)
xsi (???)
wrl (VRML)

I have made a bundle of each, for the city00... Let me know what works for you.

Michael Hartlef
16-10-2008, 05:58
@Michael Clease: You said that the building should have no roof. I think my idea going again this. Do you want me to change my concept for Shanta?

ISAWHIM
16-10-2008, 06:01
The thought of water/islands, was strictly for design reasons...

Land is difficult to handle when it stretches beyond view, and starts to disappear into the sky. Also, land requires a decent sized image to look good. That is one 512 x 512 image that could be used for something people will be looking at more... the track, other crafts, close scenery, the sky. There is also the issue of land consuming a large portion of the poly-count, for one single object, which again, you only see about 10% of, since 90% would be covered by the immediate surroundings, or the road below you.

Ground is the largest frame-killer in any game. (Which is why there are so many games without it, and why there is so much effort to find a better alternative.)

However... thinking to the sky-box...

If the skybox had a generic flat ground, with a trim-ring of a more-detailed ground... While the sky and walls stay a fixed distance from the player-view, we could scale-move the ground object inside the sky-box. (That would make it seem to be larger than it actually is. EG, it wouldn't have to be 2000 by 2000, only 200 x 200, and moved on XZ at 1/10 the player move. Thus, it would never be "Out of view", reaching beyond the 1000 draw-distance. But the sky-box would have to be 400 x 400, to handle the shifting ground object inside.)

Have you guys filed through the images that Eros offered? To see if there are some that we can call, "Standard", and used in all models. (Since we are limiting models to one unique image, but there are many good repeating images that can be used among many models. Bricks, windows, cement, grass, wood, slime, crystal, water... Not to mention using solid-colorized noise tiles for things like building trim, stairs, rusted metal, gravel. Plus, simple gradients for the sides of buildings between one another. Fake shadow with color, no need mapping what we can't see.)

kryton9
16-10-2008, 06:10
Jason, thanks for the new zipped files. I did manage to open the 3ds files with Truespace. I guess Blender has a problem with 3ds and with directx format as I have had problems in the past with that format.

I will report back on the others tomorrow after I try them in each app so we know for future reference.

About the city walls and hills, I will do it in the skybox then and not modeled out, it should be fine as I see that sort of thing in the Serious Sam series quite a bit and it looks good.

Petr Schreiber
16-10-2008, 08:24
Hi Mike,

thanks for the concept drawing, I like it. I am not sure what Abraxas meant by no roofs, I will wait for more details from him.

Jason, thanks for multiformat preview. It is nice to put the vehicle on one side of buildings blocks so the sizes can be easily compared. Which city would you intent to use them for?

Petr

Michael Clease
16-10-2008, 09:12
I ment roof like this (Im only providing links so the comment is by the creator)

http://images.smarter.com/blogs/biodome.jpg

But this is quite cool

http://photo-media.hanmail.net/200709/06/moneytoday/20070906100403.521.0.jpg

Michael Hartlef
16-10-2008, 09:21
@Michael: Ok, you ment a dome. Then I can go on with my idea.

@Petr: I'm glad you like it. Drawing with a Pen/Wacom is more difficult than using real pencils and paper. Next time I will do this and then colorize it on the PC.

Petr Schreiber
16-10-2008, 09:26
Ha,

now I get it, thanks Abraxas!

Mike - I agree. I have Wacom tablet too, but as I do not practise the results are ... very unusable.
But I think that if somebody uses it every day it becomes 1:1 with pencil and paper.

Petr

ISAWHIM
16-10-2008, 12:18
@Petr, I had no intentions of my "Blocks" being used at all... You said no GTA buildings. (Just had them for example.)

To me, city-block scale is the more important scale, related to the world/game/view. The blocks I loaded into the sandbox look perfect. I do believe there is plenty of room for a larger vehicle scale, without much change required anywhere-else. (Just not 4-meters, but possibly 3-meters wide, and 6-meters long, and 3-meters high. To allow for those designs that are more long, or more round.)

If needed, we can just kill the banked edges, or have that as a narrow section, to a larger section. We'll cross that bridge later.

I like the way these are coming out.

Ok, back to code for me.

kryton9
17-10-2008, 05:06
Sorry I haven't sketched anything for my city, but I have lots of cool thoughts for it that come a week into Novemeber I can start showing and sharing.
Working on skybox concepts and will have sketch/mockup ideas to share so we can discuss ideas and thoughts and what needs to be added or taken out.
Once we get a good direction I will do a nice game quality version(s).

Michael Hartlef
17-10-2008, 10:46
Please state clearly again what is needed to model. In Jasons article in the track editor post he writes something about city fill ins for track tiles. I don't understand this concept. Do we have to model Citytiles? Do we just have to model City buildings?

Can someone please state what is needed and then please don't change it every other sunset?

ISAWHIM
17-10-2008, 13:18
Quick recap...

Tiles... not just "buildings"... (But buildings are needed to make tiles, in your editor of choice.)

Tiles contain many buildings, to reduce overhead related to the size of a "City".

Tiles are proposed to be... L/W(100 meters x 100 meters) and within 100 meters tall.

Each city style will/should have a common "Landmark", which is a special 1-time use tile. This special tile will be required to set the city style when building the track for a city. The dimensions of this "Landmark" city-block is proposed to be... L/W(200 meters x 200 meters) and within 100 meters tall.

A tile may contain only one building, if that is the desired look you imagine for the city. (That would result in buildings with more space between them. Like a more rural setting.)

For my example, which was only an example, I used a tight formation like a block in a modern city like New-York. Just to show the concept of blocks, and suggest size restrictions.

I suggested that we keep our buildings objects separate, in the event that we later find that blocks need to be larger or smaller, so new block sizes can be made. (Because a simple object scale would not have the same impact, it would just make the larger objects smaller or smaller objects larger.) Also, we have not made a solid decision on "Land", which the tiles would rest against. Depending on the final decision, these tiles may need a foundation added to them, so they look like they belong on a rendered ground.

The issue was about filling a city with nearly 1000 hand-selected and placed individual buildings, or using only 100 tiles.

Until the tracks are completed or final dimensions agreed upon, their can not be any "Fill-in" city blocks that avoid the tracks that don't exist yet. Which was the other reason I asked that individual buildings be kept as individual buildings. They can later be used to create the "Fill-in" blocks, which avoid the tracks. (Once the track-sizes and heights have been standardized.)

A fill-in city-block will not contain a track, it will occupy the same tile as a track-block, and thus, can not occupy the same space, which would force us to drive through a building or scenery. It would not be wise to create four separate tracks of the same track-block, one for each city style. It will be better to make one track-block, and have the two objects avoid one another by design.

Like your "Rings" concept... that city-tile "Fill-in" requires a passage of road through it, but the actual city-tile created would not have the road inside of it. However it would require the straight section or curved section of standard road to be an occupant of the same tile space, to make sense.

If your city has street-signs... those would be "Fill-in" which is used over the standard track-blocks. Street-lights, overpasses, close buildings, bleachers, trees, tunnels, walk-ways... etc...

Another example... for the city that looks like an Indian camp, or an old pilgrim camp... one block would contain farms, another would have only a few houses and yards, another would be a lake, another would be a single small building... but possibly offset, so it can be rotated and flipped without looking like it belongs in the center.

Attached is a sample of what I might have made for a "Modern city" styled fill-in "City-block", designated to be overlaid onto a corner section of standard track. This would blend-in with the rest of the city style, avoid the track, or integrate/use the track shape as part of the design. But the track will not be part of the final fill-in city-block. So you can create 4 styles of fill-ins for one track if you like, for that city type.

The standard tracks at the moment... would be the 90-degree turn, straight track, straight jump, incline hill, decline hill. You may make a single style that works on multiple tracks, but you would set that up in the track-edit, not in the model creation.

Michael Clease
17-10-2008, 13:22
Another example... for the city that looks like an Indian camp, or an old pilgrim camp... one block would contain farms, another would have only a few houses and yards, another would be a lake, another would be a single small building... but possibly offset, so it can be rotated and flipped without looking like it belongs in the center.

And why would a people who shun technology build a race track ???

ISAWHIM
17-10-2008, 13:33
For world domination...
To "Shun" is not "Not use"... it means they "Avoid" it... I shun phones, but I still use them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shunning

What is technological about a road? The Amish use them. They just use them slower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amish

Hehe...

Are we building a city-block for a civilization that is not participating in the race? Where did I miss that?

That city would not be a race-city then... and would not need city-blocks made.

Looking back at the story... again... "ALL of the cities are encircled with high stone block walls (very old looking) the buildings are below the height of the walls and they have no roof."

How flexible is that... you have not argued against the 100 meter high building code proposed, so would the walls be above 100 meters high? If so, we do not need a ground or horizon in the skybox, as it will be impossible to see anything other than the sky.

It also says all buildings have no roofs? That would make them all walls and not buildings... Buildings have walls and a roof for shelter. Have we commonly accepted that issue as not being a possible game design option? (That would make our polly-count through the roof trying to render all those walls and internal scenery.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building

If these are not the case now, and we continue building... um, buildings... The design document should make note of the changes. Which were changed from the proposed story, to fit the design of the game limitations. (Those are not "Story" elements, which would impact the actual "Story".)

Michael Hartlef
17-10-2008, 13:57
Like your "Rings" concept... that city-tile "Fill-in" requires a passage of road through it, but the actual city-tile created would not have the road inside of it. However it would require the straight section or curved section of standard road to be an occupant of the same tile space, to make sense.

No it doesn't need a road tile through it. Well, maybe in your way how to design things, but not in mine.

If your city has street-signs... those would be "Fill-in" which is used over the standard track-blocks. Street-lights, overpasses, ... walk-ways... etc...

I thought we create a WipeOut style of racing game and not a city racing game like need for speed. Well I learn stuff here every day.

Are we building a city-block for a civilization that is not participating in the race? Where did I miss that?

No, as long if we are trying to go close by the story and setting Michael Clease has written. And so it would be no race in that city and so no tiles needed. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to find race track models done for the rebel area too. Who cares about what other people have worked on before and what time they have spend on. Just trash it.

ISAWHIM
17-10-2008, 14:37
We are building a wipe-out style racing game. We are not racing on the city streets we are racing on the track. Cities are scenery around the track, like in wipe-out, and as described in the design document.

I am not saying the work has to be thrown-out... just that it does not need "Building-blocks" if it is not going to be in a "Track"... It would not be bound to the limitations of "Building-blocks" if it is just going to be rendered and turned into artwork. The design document says they are "Unseen" in the game.

I didn't even mention them being in the game. He suggested that we were building a track for them.

You gave up on the editor Michael. This is what I need to make it work in the editor and also function in the game. Which is why I proposed these ideas/limits/standards, so we are all on the same page, not four separate pages.

If the cities are not part of the track... than you can throw-out anything I proposed. You have no limits... Design them, render them, save the BMP images, and they will be in the game graphics. We will race on empty tracks with no city walls or city scenery, since the tracks are now apparently not inside the cities, or the cities are invisible while we are on the track. My fault, I completely misunderstood the project.

Michael Hartlef
17-10-2008, 14:52
You gave up on the editor Michael. This is what I need to make it work in the editor and also function in the game.

Point taken. Your game!

I'm out of here. Bye!

ISAWHIM
17-10-2008, 15:12
You gave up on the editor Michael. This is what I need to make it work in the editor and also function in the game.

Point taken. Your game!

I'm out of here. By!

No need to leave... You are the one with more knowledge of TB... I have already beat you to the resignation-box... ;D

If you were still making the editor... it would have been "What you need", and I would not have seen that statement as being a personal ownership of the game. I don't know why you are turning that around into ownership. You asked us how to implement the track and then turned-over the editor to anyone willing to work on it.

I thought, from what was said, that the city was going to be part of the track, not just art.

Seriously though... I do believe I have over-stayed my welcome. Feel free to use anything I said or created, in part or in whole, as your own. Thank-you... I have learned a lot, and can be contacted through PM for silent help, where I may offer it, if it is wanted. (Can't guarantee it will be help!) :P

Now get back here and lead your team to a winning entry. Win or loose... TB still wins, we still win.

kryton9
17-10-2008, 19:57
Hey guys, we are a team and we are working remotely, which is very hard. It is easy for nerves to get out of control. On top of that many members are English is second language, so we need to cut slack a lot in our readings.

A race game is very hard as we are seeing many aspects to it and since everything in a game is linked it makes it that much harder to work.

In reality, if we were all in one building it would take 6 months to work out the design document before anything even started. So what we are trying to do is very very difficult.

To make it doable we need a project dictator, with one vision and make the decisions and issue assignments. I think this is the only way this will be finished. Also we have to all agree not to take things personally or feel attacked. All on these forums have proved themselves as nice hard working people.

So all take a deep breathe and let us continue. I think someone on the coding team needs to step up to be a hard dictator with a good heart and strong vision.

Lionheart008
21-10-2008, 19:53
sorry, moved my post to... the track tile board...

http://community.thinbasic.com/index.php?topic=2196.15

lionheart

Lionheart008
22-10-2008, 21:37
dear thinbasic friends...

=> if somebody needs city concepts in time or city buildings I have found a really fantastic way to build such things ;D

a) - I show two pictures of it, I am astonished what's possible with a good 3d app :)

b) - only little problem to fix is the size... and the polygon count... - the more details of sky towers, streets and buildings the more you need space !!! ;)

c) - the m15 file of the red city is ca. 1.5 mb big... !!! but it looks very, very nice ::)

I will change the ground size of the city area and then it's perfect ! :D

more will come later, best wishes, Lionheart