PDA

View Full Version : thinStudio Logo :-)

Lionheart008
18-09-2008, 16:55
...my 5 cent for this day :)

dear thinStudio user... dear thinBasic friends, perhaps we can here make some proposals for a new thinStudi Logo.

1) My idea is to collect first of all a lot of thinStudio logos, the variety of design styles would be important... then a new poll should be started to select the winning logo

2) 2D, 3D, comicstyle... everything is welcome... perhaps I can manage this topic here

3) ...if anybody can help or has ideas, would be great! - so, make up your mind and create new stuff :)

I have made only a little start here, everybody of the thinbasic users can create a logo here, then we can decide and select the best fitted designed logo with a new poll...

btw: load please 1) *.jpg, 2) *.gif formats... take please no ! 3) *.BMP file... as I have done and this thread will strike to upload this picture ;)

best regards, Lionheart (with headache a lot or it's the damned cold again...)

PS: may be it's a good idea to look after a "Game logo" too on this topic?

Petr Schreiber
18-09-2008, 18:03
Hi LionHeart,

interesting idea and thanks for first logo.
I must say in my experience PNG format is very good for logos too - small, RGBA8, and with lossless compression.

Petr

kryton9
18-09-2008, 21:16
Nice idea LionHeart and start. It is always fun to work on logos. Hope to add some in the coming days.

Michael Hartlef
18-09-2008, 21:44
Nice start. A little difficult for my eyes as I have problems with Blue and red next to each other but a good start for sure.

Lionheart008
18-09-2008, 22:12
hi all:-)

@petr
yes, png format I have forgotten... add it here with another example, try to do it tomorrow...

@kent
"fun to work on logos", yes you are right! - If you have enough time and wouldn't go alone through the designed wood ;) (little joke in german...!)
- I will catch your first logo here with pleasure...

@michael
thanks too:-) please can you send the formerly logo of "thinStudio" to me here? Or should I copy it on this board? - what color do you prefer? :D

- the colors blue and red are only examples... the color boxes should show you, that thinBasic includes more modules for scripting and a thinAir gui e.g.
- it was only a starting point! :)

wish you all a nice evening... ciao und servus,

"salve", ben lionheart hur :D

kryton9
19-09-2008, 01:08
Can we have an animated logo?

Many of the games I play have nice short animations with cool sound effects.
I will do a mockup of a generic one this weekend and save it as an xvid avi file to show what I am talking about.

So many fun aspects of things for this project, I am very excited we have another nice team project to work on.

Michael Hartlef
19-09-2008, 07:22
Lionheart008, just take it from the post I did. It is the same.

ErosOlmi
19-09-2008, 07:50
Can we have an animated logo?

Many of the games I play have nice short animations with cool sound effects.
I will do a mockup of a generic one this weekend and save it as an xvid avi file to show what I am talking about.

So many fun aspects of things for this project, I am very excited we have another nice team project to work on.

A very simple one like http://www.papervision3d.org/ could be enough I think.

Lionheart008
19-09-2008, 09:50
good morning "designer guys" :)

@ kent:
:) yes try it... of course, if you have a good idea, show it! better more than less proposals...
I like animated gifs... special animated gifs with humour (I love comic strips!)

@ eros...
thank you for this nice aquarium fishes, must laugh...

@ michael:
I copy it as soon as possible from the other board, thank you...

put here another example for a thinBasic Logo... with a picture in it and hot words... ;D

nice day for you all, new ideas are very welcome,

lionheart

Lionheart008
19-09-2008, 10:00
dear michael, thank you! :-)

I have ...copied the formerly 'original logo' from another thinStudio board posts

Yes, we can decide to leave the voting open till sunday night. You should able to remove your votes and revote but now I don't see that option anymore. I wrote to eros allready, maybe he changed a setting, when he added Kent to the thinStudio group. I think only thinStudio members can see this forum and so vote on it. We have a logo allready but if the others would like a new one then we could have a go at it.

best regards, lionheart

Petr Schreiber
19-09-2008, 13:58
LOL LionHeart,

remember it is possible little kiddies will play our game ;D, their parents will uninstall once "hot chick" and "sex" will be on the first screen ;D

From my side I would prefer black and white logo, maybe + one color, but better to have it simple.

Petr

Lionheart008
19-09-2008, 20:30
hi petr again:)

yes, of course, it should be children friendly-like... the game...

I can build such a logo, with one, two colors... I played around and have got "lust" to try it... it makes a lot of fun!

more will come... as soon as my female better side leave me for some minutes :)

ciao and good evening, Lionheart

kryton9
20-09-2008, 05:24
I liked the girl logo for sure. I guess we could use that in our own modded version at home. I like that one Lionheart!

kryton9
20-09-2008, 06:55
This at the moment is an animated gif. It plays really well in firefox. In Google Chrome and Internet Explorer it plays a little slower than it should. Microsoft Fax and Image viewer can play it Ok too. It plays faster the second time through in all apps after it loads the gif. The animations should be 4 seconds in total to give you an idea.

If you guys like this I can work on adding sound to it and making it an avi with perhaps a little more flare too. I didn't want to work too hard if going in the wrong direction :)

Michael Clease
20-09-2008, 09:08
Kent I think that looks really good but I think 4 seconds is too long.

any chance you do a 2 second and 3 second version for us to compare.

thanks

mike

Lionheart008
20-09-2008, 09:49
:) "go for gold" kent! :D

good morning, hi kent, dear mike (abraxas), all others...

I agree with mike, some 'seconds' too long, but very nice idea!... looks professional! as a trailer for a tv serial or a game intro (!), congratulations, kent... you are on the right wa! such mini logos I have built some years ago with cinema 4d ;) never used it since this days...

have a nice day, see you soon I build another still-logo, bye, lionheart

ps: do you have build this logo with an 2d/3d application, flash player? or something like combustion?

Lionheart008
20-09-2008, 11:50
...more from the logo road :)
dear thinBasic and thinStudio friends,

From my side I would prefer black and white logo, maybe + one color, but better to have it simple.

@petr: so ...my 5 cent for today...

best regards, have a nice weekend to all... and a pot full of good ideas :D

Lionheart (Frank)
ps: animated gif logo will follow...

Michael Clease
20-09-2008, 14:23
A rough Idea for the Logo

Petr Schreiber
20-09-2008, 15:23
Thanks all for the logos,

@Kent, very good looking!

@LionHeart, - that is better! Just one thing - the logo will be on the screen for 2-3 seconds, maybe there is still a bit too much text to get in such a short time.

@Abraxas - wow, very nice, reminds me of 8bit era

For further inspiration I like logos like DoubleFine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Fine_Productions) has too.

There is one danger of animated logos - when too long, they make gamers ( ME ;D ) angry. I also hate to click through 10 logos ( + NVIDIA the way it was meant to be played + "Plays best on SoundBlaster 24bit" ) just to get to menu.

Petr

kryton9
20-09-2008, 20:21
Glad you guys liked the logo, it is 4 seconds because I was imagining it with sound effects and for sound to do something cool, 4 seconds is even hard to do it in. If you ever read the Vista 4 second sound story... it took pros a very long time to come up with something. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15656246/

As Petr wrote, I am thinking of this as the nvidia or other game logo animations and most are a little more than 4 seconds.

In most games you can press escape to bypass as the movie plays, when not in a rush I like watching them personally. But if playing online with friends and rushing to get in, I just escape through them very quickly.

If the 4 seconds seems acceptable, then I will start working on the sound effects. It will probably be many many layers of sounds to make the 4 seconds interesting.

LionHeart, yes I used many many programs the last 2 days trying out ideas and I was thinking in color, but when I read Petr's post about Black and White and then seeing the original logo idea, I then evolved into this version. I was using blender for colored logo ideas, but with the black and white logo idea went with my old photoshop 4, after effects 4 and premiere 6.

The final version won't be a gif file, but a movie file. I usually save as xvid avi format as xvid is free. Should I use wmv format instead so that the xvid codec won't be required to play the video? Can we play wmv file in thinBasic?

kryton9
20-09-2008, 20:27
LionHeart and Mike(Abraxas), I like your guys logos too and it gave me an idea. The ideas was sparked by Petr's comment about being bored by opening logos.

Petr or Mike(Hartlef) could write a routine that could randomly pick these various nice logos you guys are coming up with, this way the intro logo will never be boring and also a different random effect could be used with them. Petr has done waving textures before, blurs and glows. This way all these neat logos you guys are coming up with could be used and the startup could be exciting each time as something new.

Then any animated movie clips we make can be used for a trailer instead of the game. Just an idea. If the team decides to go this route we could work on single image logos for a nice variety.

Petr Schreiber
20-09-2008, 20:44
Kent,

maybe this post will sound a little negative, but that is because I am writing something for school right now ... and semicolons make me scratch the wall again. Oh well.

When we look from our point of view, it is totally right to put all developed logos and let them play randomly. I really like the community here, so it would be sort of not nice to not use someones logo.

But from user=gamer point of view ... at the time he will play the game he will probably not know our comunity, so multiple logos would seem to him like:

"unnecessary bloating of game package"
"if they cannot find single representative logo for their team, they must be complete unprofessional weirdos"
"I do not care about their logo, I want to play the game ... NOW" - and that is where I am "bored" by the logos of other games, not because they are not attractive enough, but I do not care when starting the game for 50th time

So with this in head I would vote for single logo, ESCAPEable, very well done, showing for short time. If the gamer wants to know more about team, we can ( we will! ) add nice, slowly scrolling Credits, optionally launchable from main menu.

I apologize once again if this is too negative.

Petr

Michael Hartlef
20-09-2008, 21:10
I second Petr point. And I think he was not to negative. Critics should be said, not matter what. At least if we wanna get something serious done.

ErosOlmi
20-09-2008, 21:19
I think logo is important but it can come after the game.

The old thinStudio fading away logo is perfect for me: light, fast, impressive.
With a little very light background sound it can be superb.

If something better will come out during game creation, ... good. Otherwise we already have something, isn't it?

kryton9
21-09-2008, 04:03
I always like opinions and how Eros allows them in these nice forums. I am for whatever the team goes with and your opinions are never negative Petr.

Lionheart008
21-09-2008, 20:27
hi all:)
a short input for this week-end evening..

- We have time to find the best fitted logo for the a) THINSTUDIO TEAM and b) the "GAME" until the monkey competition ends, isn't it?
(Countdown: 132 days until CM 2009 contest ends!) much time, isn't it?

=>... to find a logo for the team AND the game...That is the task on this board thread :)

I cannot reply to all the last posts, but I agree to petr's last big comment...

So with this in head I would vote for single logo, ESCAPEable, very well done, showing for short time. If the gamer wants to know more about team, we can ( we will! ) add nice, slowly scrolling Credits, optionally launchable from main menu.

- critics (constructive) are every time welcome... so what we have this community for?;)

- @eros:
you are right: yes, we have "one" logo... if we find a better logo as the old thinStudio logo or we can improve, we will make it... ( I will try it of course)

but...

- we have a new team here, so we can build a new one;) that's my effort to build it, otherwise we can use the old one... :) why not?

my idea: I will collect all ideas of good created Logos until the end of the game scripting days here and start a 'logo poll' again:)

- the idea of some kind of credits list (logos, team, background) is good for the game player, they wanted to get more infos about the game... I like the idea, petr...

@ kent:
good ideas and created things like you have built (animated gifs) are always with a positively value! :) I like your logo and the idea behind it... but I agree with petr and mike, that perhaps 'multiple logos' are oversized (overtuned) for this game intro...

nevertheless... I love animated gifs! and a creative work you have made kent! :)

more logo ideas I will create tomorrow and the following days...

best regards, lionheart
nice evening for all here... :)

ps: It's sometimes a time intensive job here to read all posts and creating things, but I love it ! I am not "up to date" to all posts of thinStudio...

I need a "thinBasic read" roboter to check all post of the thinStudio team ! ;)

Petr Schreiber
21-09-2008, 22:29
Hi Lionheart,

I think the game logo should be done once the game is done, to reflect its contents best.
To check latest topics you can use "Recent posts" part of forum or install RSS feed to your browser as well :)

Good evening, good night and thanks ( do not forget to go with dog for a walk ;) ),
Petr

Lionheart008
22-09-2008, 09:24
good morning all... :)

put another little thinStudio logo try on this place...
not so good: I have saved it as *png format, but therefore I have lost my 3d shadows of the thinStudio logo, my 2d manipulation software deleted it... ;( too much levels...

yes,
I think the game logo should be done once the game is done, to reflect its contents best.

dear petr, you are right...
besides that I will follow my tbgl examples to learn more...

best regards, my dog is just waiting for the morning walking through rain! ...

caio, best regards, Lionheart

ps: .. and grinning greetings from "hägar" too :)