PDA

View Full Version : New user questions

Dave
11-04-2008, 19:00
Hi everyone.

I have downloaded thinbasic and will started going through the docs but in the meantime could I please ask a few questions?

1) What types of applications is thinbasic best suited for?

2) Does it have any limitations as far as developing general desktop applications on Windows is concerned?

3) What are the long-term goals of thinbasic?

I am really just looking for an general overview of the language before I start looking at the specifics.

BTW the reviews I've read have been very positive.

ErosOlmi
11-04-2008, 20:59
Ciao Dave and welcome here.

I will go through your questions that at first sight give me the impression you need to know if thinBasic is stable, maintained at long run, supported. Right questions.

1) What types of applications is thinbasic best suited for?

thinBasic started as an automation tool, something easy to be used to automate tasks or repetitive operations. But soon it become a complete (interpreted) programming language with a set of features that even many compiled languages do not have. The list of possible areas where thinBasic can be used can be very wide and most depend on the needs. Imagine thinBasic can even be used for games using some advanced modules like TBGL (Open GL), TBDI (Direct Input), TBASS (sounds) and TBEM (Event Manager). There is also an ongoing project handling machine code on the fly (Asmosphere Assembler (http://community.thinbasic.com/index.php?topic=1637.msg11816#msg11816))

I can say more simply where thinBasic cannot be used due to its interpretative nature: real time image handling, many millions loops made on the fly, complex user interface applications (User Interface module is something we need to work a bit more). But even on those areas thinBasic can say something thanks to the possibility to extend thinBasic language developing compiled modules.

2) Does it have any limitations as far as developing general desktop applications on Windows is concerned?

To develop desktop applications we have developed a specific module called UI (User Interface). Even if it is quite stable and with many features, I feel we can do a lot more on this area. In any case, please see by yourself at the scripts you can find under \thinBasic\SampleScripts\UI\ directory. Thay are not many but running them and looking and the source code you can have an idea.

3) What are the long-term goals of thinbasic?

Since the beginning of the project two of our main targets were stability and execution speed. I think we are now at a point where stability is quite there. Also speed is very good but, your know, it is never enough. So we will continue on those two main targets.
Other points we are working on:

a new module (called Trace (http://community.thinbasic.com/index.php?topic=1655.msg11990#msg11990)) that will give the possibility to debug thinBasic scripts
improved User Interface module. Maybe we will create UI2 because some ideas we are exploring will not be compatible with current UI module
maintain and fix as quicly as possible any bug or request
support people using thinBasic

And, not second to any other points: we are always open to listen to people using thinBasic, we are open to change our plans if some ideas are interesting and shared with thinbasic community.

Ciao
Eros

Dave
11-04-2008, 22:41
Hi there Eros and many thanks for your reply.

I like everything I've seen so far. Personally I'd be happy to accept a slightly slower performance for some of the advantages that thinbasic has. I am just a hobby programmer and I don't write mathematically intensive stuff so I'm sure it's going to be more than fast enough for me. The examples look a great source of learning as well.

I look forward to using thinbasic.

Ciao
Dave

ErosOlmi
11-04-2008, 22:44
Perfect.

If you need any help, have questions on whatever, ask for an improvement or just want to leave you impressions using thinBasic, I'm sure you will find this little community a nice and open mind place.

Ciao
Eros

Michael Hartlef
11-04-2008, 22:46
Hey Dave,

welcome on the forum. It is allways great to have new people here and for sure you came in a very interesting time of thinBasic development.

To rest of the guys, push a little over here as it becomes slowly crowed here. Not that this is a bad thing. :)

ErosOlmi
11-04-2008, 22:56
.. I am just a hobby programmer and ...

We are not professional programmers too. We are just moved by a great passion and curiosity for programming and technology in general.

Hope not to scare you about that ;)

Dave
11-04-2008, 23:18
Hey Dave,

welcome on the forum. It is allways great to have new people here and for sure you came in a very interesting time of thinBasic development.

To rest of the guys, push a little over here as it becomes slowly crowed here. Not that this is a bad thing. :)

Hi Michael, and thanks for the welcome. Thinbasic does look very interesting and I'm sure it's going to become more and more popular.

Dave
11-04-2008, 23:19

I'll try not to have nightmares Eros, thanks :)

MystikShadows
14-04-2008, 02:34

If I take a trip down memory lane I can think of a multitude of passionate projects that have made their solid mark in the time line of the computer industry. Without passion there is no drive, no strive, no motivation to take on the challenge and make it the best it can be.

It's obvious that thinBasic is 100% driven by passion and the concern to create a tool that is flexible, reliable, and efficient. We all know passion is what makes you get up in the morning thinking about the project. It's also what makes you sit down an extra 1/2 hour or hour or 1/2 a day (time flies when you're having fun ;-) to make sure the thing you're working on is done and you're ready for the next step (whether it exists or not). Not to mention all that you have learned from the beginning of the project, all that knowledge is what helps you make thinBasic as good as it is today, as good as it will need to be tomorrow. Passion and motivation gives you guys the energy to push the project forward every day, bring it one level beyond what it used be. The fact that user input plays an important role in the development of thinBasic I think are all solid foundations towards the present and future success of the project. In more street level terms, you guys got it going on! and it shows in ever facets of the project.

Now you say you're no professional, well, as a professional I can actually prove you wrong on that ;-). Maybe programming isn't you're career, however, the methods you have in place as fas as programming, testing, debugging, the system you devised where we talk about an add a new element to the language, when there's interest it gets coded in, the fact that every release seems to be a geniune step forward in the big picture of the project. Well, my friend, that's a true sign of professional development, like it or not.

The combination of the passion we can see here, the structure in place on every stage of development (from new ideas to programming to integrating to the project (or very good direct adding into the project hehe) to documenting, to the way you accept feedback (good or bad if you've had any) all play their role in the success of this project. From what I'm seeing here (since I joined this forum) I think this project is only moving forward in realization and in popularity. And you guys are the main cause of this current and future successes of thinBasic. If I had a glass of champaign, I'd propose a toast ;-). But well I drink coffee lol.

Keep up the awesome combination of all I mentioned, and you'll see yourself how far you can take it.

Michael Hartlef
14-04-2008, 05:52
I can only second that. Great words mystik.

ErosOlmi
14-04-2008, 07:01
Huuu MystikShadows :o
What to say after that post? ... Nothing.

Just thanks. We will for sure continue to this road.

Eros

kryton9
14-04-2008, 08:27
MystikShadows, wow, really well said (written)!!

Petr Schreiber
14-04-2008, 08:29
Cool,

MystikShadows, I could not write it down better than you did !

Thanks,
Petr

MystikShadows
14-04-2008, 21:39
Woohooo I finally have some karma ;-).

Remember, as good as the post maybe it's only as good as the observations I was able to make here. :-)