PDA

View Full Version : Started a Wiki for a 2D 3D library

kryton9
29-12-2007, 11:21
Guys, I started a wiki for the development of nice easy to use 2D 3D library. It is currently aimed for powerbasic development and once finished will be ported over to be used in thinBasic.

Since it will be coming to thinBasic one way or another, the other being perhaps Petr can bring it into tbgl as he sees fit.

I think it would still be very nice to get input from you guys interested in 2d and 3d work. On syntax, command and feature ideas, testing routines and demos etc.
If enough are interested we could even just port the include file to thinBasic as we go along. But keep in mind this is a totally experimental library and should not be used for any real project till it is finalized. But to test out ideas, come up with better solutions etc it will be great to have as many contributing and using it while it is being developed.

We could even branch off a thinBasic version if enough are interested then you guys can contribute code that way.

The main thing is to get a really nice easy to use complete solution as much as possible.

I should say that once the library is complete then the routines will be available in a dll for speed in thinBasic. But there is no reason that it won't be fast enough for developing via an include file in thinBasic for now.

Well please check out the site and think of any ideas you may have had. Like I said we could always start a thinBasic site too.

Oh about wikispaces, it is the easiest to use free wiki site I have found. You just edit in a visual designer. No need for wiki tags, although if you like working that way you can too.

Link no longer working

Petr Schreiber
29-12-2007, 23:04
Thanks Kent,

seems interesting!
Only problem I have is that I did not found the download of source yet.

In PB it could be nice to provide MACRO equivalent of the functions - to gain speed where needed. Invoke function for some basic operations might be a bit expensive. I know it from TBGL developement - functions are nice to keep code modular and easily understandable, but sometimes it is quite heavy to use them too much in some long FOR/NEXTs, so part of TBGL internals are just MACROs.

Thanks,
Petr

Michael Hartlef
29-12-2007, 23:54
Good luck Kent. I'm sure you can pull this off.

kryton9
30-12-2007, 01:02
Guys thanks for comments and suggestions... but the wiki is there for us all to work on.

Jose already mentioned that some sort of addition to the names is necessary for sure. The idea of no globals will make it easier to do thread safe coding.

Petr your idea for macros is interesting, but to tell the truth the project is not that far along to worry about optimization at the moment.
I think before the first release candidate that should be in place for sure. I will make notes about it to help remember.