PDA

View Full Version : Whats inside your computer?

Michael Clease
04-10-2007, 14:51
Its just some examples of how to NOT look after your computer.

they are from june last year a customers computer.

ErosOlmi
04-10-2007, 15:42
A hashtray, isn't it?
;D

Michael Clease
04-10-2007, 16:45
Hashtray ???

my customer may be dopey not that sure they are Dope heads (well not all of them) ;D

Petr Schreiber
04-10-2007, 18:30
Scary !

I am sure it is just optimized to run "Colin MCRae DIRT" game :D

Petr

Michael Hartlef
04-10-2007, 18:59
Ouch, that is dirty. I can imagine something like that when you loose these little plates that you remove when you install a network card or a soundcard and then you have a whole in it. But THAT is dirty! Some kind of natural cloacking.

kryton9
05-10-2007, 05:49
I will never feel bad about how bad my computer looks in between cleanings.

I can see that happening in a shop of some kind, like auto repair or paint shop.

Michael Clease
05-10-2007, 08:47
so close try electroplating shop.

No suprises but the computer was dead.

Ive got another computer that I will take a picture of this one still works but it will show what a electroplaters enviroment is like (acids, cyanide, phosphor)

later.

Michael Hartlef
05-10-2007, 09:15
:o Are there actual people working in such an environment?

Michael Clease
05-10-2007, 11:51
yeah and I have to visit them on site to service their equipment.

I forget arsenic :D

Michael Clease
05-10-2007, 16:07
last picture. acidic corrosion

Petr Schreiber
05-10-2007, 16:24
Incredible,

I have never seen something like that.
At least I can say my PC is clean now ... comparing to this :)

Thanks,
Petr

Randall
05-10-2007, 18:03
Wow ! :o

Those computers with the corrosion must have short lives.

A long time ago, early in my career, I had the job of servicing point-of-sale computer terminals in fast-food restaurants. The circuit boards in these terminals would get dirty like the above, but the dust would be mixed with grease, and you couldn't just blow it off. We would use a spray-on grease solvent to get most of the gunk off, then soapy water with a brush to clean off the solvent. Finally, I would take the board to the bathroom and use those hot-air hand driers to blow-dry the board. You had to be really careful to get the board completely dry, or you could fry the board when you powered the terminal back up. Amazingly, this cleaning process worked very well.

Michael Hartlef
05-10-2007, 18:13
Man, I wondering what it does to the people who work where this computer was standing. Noone could pay me that much money.

ErosOlmi
05-10-2007, 20:57
Man, I wondering what it does to the people who work where this computer was standing. Noone could pay me that much money.

I was thinking the same.
Pay attention Abraxas. Now you are in 3, isn't it?

Michael Clease
05-10-2007, 21:22
Now you are in 3, isn't it?

I dont understand?

Michael Clease
10-07-2009, 14:21
I had another interesting computer in today.

Lets just say it got dripped on. :lol:

Petr Schreiber
10-07-2009, 14:33
Very nice,

you inspired me to clean my PC today :D

Regarding that delta card, it reminds me of crime against ATi we did with brother by slightly bending and cutting parts of older Radeon card to fit into badly assembled case :lol: Sadly I have no photo.

zak
10-07-2009, 20:29
hi
regarding cleaning the computer, i have cleaned the cpu fan and the motherboard using the device in the photo : aluminum can (pepsi) + straw + hair drier ,
cut one side of the can using a scissor, keep it from children, it is a real sharp blade. the other side make a hole in it and insert a straw.
either you attach the can to vacuum cleaner or an old hair drier,
now when you put the straw opening over the cpu fan it will suck the dust, but be very carefull : the cpu fan are extremely sensetive and may be damaged easily; this is why i have not used the compressed air which will make the fan rotate with a huge power and destroying it, also the compressed air have an electrostatic charge wich will damage the ic's components.
also suck the dust from around the memory sticks.
now if the dust is soft, i think it will not damage the hair drier, better use old and unused one.
again do not blame me if you have damaged your pc ;--), you must be prof. (LIKE ME)

Michael Clease
10-07-2009, 21:56
Zak the fan spinning is not the big problem its the voltage it will create and feed back into the mainpcb but you could just unplug the cable and stick your finger inbetween the blades while cleaning, problem solved.

As for cleaning the pcb i usually just pull the cards out then use a paint brush and hoover, remember to leave the pc plugged in the mains but turn the socket off this way the computer will be earthed but no mains supply to the pc.

I like the DIY hoover, for those feeling brave they could open the hairdryer and cut the supply to the heating element.