PDA

View Full Version : NewtonPlayGround

ErosOlmi
25-07-2007, 21:22
Ken made a post in CodingMonkeys about NewtonPlayGround:

http://www.codingmonkeys.com/index.php?topic=1242.msg7444#msg7444

Worth to follow Ken indications and see what this program can do. AMAZING.

Michael Hartlef
25-07-2007, 22:05
It is great but some samples that I would like to see the most choke on my comp. :-\

kryton9
26-07-2007, 02:11
My computer got through them, but only because the screen was limited in the number of objects. You can see how much fun it adds though and I can see paying for a nice physics card when the price drops to a more affordable price. But you do get a good glimpse of the cool things we will soon see in our favorite games. Glad you guys checked it out and liked it as much as I did!!

Michael Hartlef
26-07-2007, 06:34
Does NewTon support physic cards?

kryton9
26-07-2007, 21:48
I don't know Mike.

But I read a shocking little article on Digg last night or was it the night before, that John Carmack sees no need for a physics card. I was surprised by that. Let me see if I can find the link...
http://thedailyjump.com/site/video-games/carmack-slams-physics-add-in-cards-doesnt-compare-to-multi-core-cpus.php

Petr Schreiber
27-07-2007, 08:27
Hi,

I am also not for physics card. At least not now. The benchmarks showing FPS difference in games which support it ( 1? 2? ) were not very convincing. I do not like the idea that when SW runs on physics hardware, there will be more of everything ( generally particles ).
Once I write the game, I will write effect which will use exactly as much elements as needed, in case it is performance killer, then better to find totally different approach for lower detail version. Decreasing elements always result in weird results.

And I do not want to feed PC with another power (h)eating device :)

But I might be wrong, better to wait for someone who had opportunity to code on Ageia a bit.

Bye,
Petr

kryton9
27-07-2007, 09:14
Whatever gives me cool graphics and jaw dropping experience at an affordable price, I am for.

I never thought of another heat source, good point. But as they talk about using the GPU for normal CPU stuff when not playing is enticing. So does the idea of having a the physics, would that be PPU, available as extra processing power, but maybe that is that articles point that with multi-core there will be no need.

I bet it makes the guys who invested tons of money into PPU's a little unsettled hearing from one who should be a leading advocate for such technology be against it.