PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about pulling the talent together

kryton9
22-07-2007, 08:48
I have been reading Jose's forum a lot lately in trying to better understand powerBasic and also many other aspects of programming in general.
He has done lots of great work along with others like Charles in bringing openGL and DirectX to powerBasic. Petr is doing an incredible job with tbgl, Roberto with the irrlicht module and of course Eros with thinBasic. Mike's already got the tbdi module finished.

It seems that perhaps an engine written in powerBasic perhaps using irrlicht as an example to build from, since it supports openGL and the DirectX api's. An engine that pulls everyone together into making a complete 2D/3D gaming engine. thinBasic would be the scripting language front end to that powerful gaming engine. I am using gaming engine because it requires the most complex engine possible, one that has everything a game developer would want.

This is not to say work on the all the projects underway would stop. It is always nice to have so many options and it seems that between the two languages those options are plentiful thanks to all the work you guys named above have done. But this could be the simple be all engine that defines and brings new developers to thinBasic and possibly to powerBasic if so inclined.

You will ask why do this? We have all the options underway or already developed, we don't see the point? My answer and why I even bring this up is that all those great modules and pieces are being worked on by only one individual. It is going to take a long time to get to a finished polished state. But a new engine with the goals of simplicity, being developed by all the talent on those 2 forums could mean a quicker solution and one that is simpler, very powerful and easy to use. This will then bring many more users and developers to thinBasic and PowerBasic and to these forums.

Well sorry for rambling on with yet another idea, but if I don't write them when they hit, I can't sleep or move on. So hopefully it is not too far out in space as far as ideas go :)