PDA

View Full Version : thinEdge 1.0.0.4 released

Petr Schreiber
19-05-2006, 20:28
Hi,

I'd like to present you the latest version of thinEdge, 3D modeler designed as model creation center for your thinBASIC games, presentations, ...

You can access created models using simple thinBASIC interface - load 1 or 10 models to your scene in script, as you wish.

You could like new thinEdge version, because it introduces new "Sculptor" tool ( for example ), which serves to create rotated models. You define just flat profile and thinEdge will rotate it around defined axis to create 3D shape - goblet's, fountains, bottles ... it's up to you imagination !

Also many bugs were fixed, some quite fatal :-[

Although version 1.0.0.4 does not introduce radically new UI we all wish, I'd like to know your opinion and suggestions.

You can download it from http://psch.thinbasic.com/

Thanks,
Petr

Petr Schreiber
04-06-2006, 21:36
Hi,

I updated the package, it solves few leaks which were still present ???

I'm thinking about integrating thinEdge model loading and some other model handling related stuff ( extract layer from model as new model with specified basepoint, ...) to TBGL module. Would you find it useful or do you prefer the SDK ( pretty noble name for collection of 5 functions ;D ) scripts as till now ?

Bye,
Petr

RobertoBianchi
05-06-2006, 08:26
Hi Petr,

The nobility is for birth, does not become itself after. ;)
Sorry, but I am not sure to have understood the question correctly, however:
If you are doing a software development kit please use SDK.
Instead if you are doing a wrapper please make a module.

Thank you very much and best regards,
Roberto

Petr Schreiber
05-06-2006, 10:43
Hi Roberto,

The nobility is for birth, does not become itself after.

Ok ;D

Thanks for reply. I was thinking about functions which would allow to load and manipulate 3D models created using thinEdge in thinBASIC TBGL scripts.

Maybe it will be better to keep this functions in the form of inc file ( as it is already on http://psch.thinbasic.com/ in thinEdge section ) and when it will be tested enough and useless function will be threw out, I will hardcode it into module.

Thanks,
Petr

ErosOlmi
05-06-2006, 12:06
Petr,

if you mean the possibility to load thinEdge objects directly into TBGL scripts as scenes or objects, it will be fantastic.

So, for example, 3D labirynth can be designed under thinEdge and loaded into script with just one line? Or, for example, create a 3D model of a creature to be loaded into a script?
Terrific.

I think a native TBGL would be a good solution for both (thinBasic and thinEdge)

Thanks a lot
Eros

Petr Schreiber
05-06-2006, 12:48
Hi,

if you mean the possibility to load thinEdge objects directly into TBGL scripts as scenes or objects, it will be fantastic.

:) It can speedup scene design process a lot. It is already possible in the script way just now using "thinBASIC interface 1.2" which is available to download on TBGL tutorial pages. It is just beginning.

So, for example, 3D labirynth can be designed under thinEdge and loaded into script with just one line? Or, for example, create a 3D model of a creature to be loaded into a script?
Terrific.

Yes! Current thinEdge model interface allows multiple models on scene.
The creatures could be animated using some bone system then ( maybe you could pre-create various poses of one model in thinEdge and then swap/morph between them using script commands...).

Only trouble could happen when going into level collision - the Labyrinth style is good in that it creates collision map easily and automatically. I'm also considering something like :

tbgl_CreateCollisionMap "CityLevel.m15", %CITY_COLLISION, "CollisionWalls,Barriers"
tbgl_CollidePoint CamPos.X, CamPos.Y, CamPos.Z, %CITY_COLLISION

You would have to just create model with some object placed in special layer, which would determine they are collidable ( to avoid nonsense collision processing of decorations inside building in case of exterior game and so on ... ).

I think a native TBGL would be a good solution for both (thinBasic and thinEdge)

Probably yes. Especially *huge* collision calculations - to give more performance reserves left to the programmer to play with game/presentation itself without taking care of "details".

Thanks,
Petr

Petr Schreiber
07-06-2006, 22:57
Just to not overfill you with promises ;),

here is sample scene with robot created in thinEdge, animated using script.

Petr

P.S. Download updated

ErosOlmi
07-06-2006, 23:48
Again a perl from Petr ! I'm impressed.

It is a pleasure to play with speed and camera changing some parameters to see the effect. One thing: explosions should not walk with the robot but remain centered in born position. I didn't understand how to change script to get it.

I cannot imagine loading speed time when m15 support functions will be incorporated into TBGL.

Thanks 1000

Petr Schreiber
08-06-2006, 08:36
Thanks Eros :),

the explosions are "going" with robot because the scene design is tricky:
The robot is making moves using it's legs and "jumps" up and down.
But in fact, he is not moving forward!

The square below is textured with picture pattern 10x10 which is scrolled, so it amkes illusion of move - I saved my brain to think how to add new and new terrain this way :)

The explosions should really "go back". I will change its Z move in particleRender function. I will update it soon.

I cannot imagine loading speed time when m15 support functions will be incorporated into TBGL.

:) Fast. But I'm quite satisfied with script-load speed now too. It is yet quite fast, although the loading function is not state-of-the-art optimized.

Thanks,
Petr

Petr Schreiber
08-06-2006, 09:43
Hi,

I updated the download.
The source contained some relicts from the past, so I removed it, and I enhanced the explosions to the moving ones.

Petr

ErosOlmi
08-06-2006, 12:37
This example can merit a specific post under "TBGL Script Projects" forum.
Again, nice work Petr.

Petr Schreiber
08-06-2006, 15:42
Thanks a lot Eros,

I created new post under "TBGL Script Projects".

I made some modifications to the code, so now it is playable as game for 2 players on one PC, one shoots the another one.

Petr

P.S. Huh, all posted games are quite aggresive, when I think about it. I hope you do not consider me mass-murderer :D