PDA

View Full Version : Recent User

royscott
31-10-2005, 13:21
I recently ran across ThinBASIC and have a couple of questions about it:

Do you plan to offer a compiled version of final programs in the future?

The download for ThinBASIC does not seem to furnish an IDE. When I downloaded and installed the Tray Icon program it furnished an IDE that seems to be a work in progress. Is this the ThinAir IDE or another one?

I note that parts of the forum are restricted. How does one gain access to them?

RobertoBianchi
31-10-2005, 14:07
Hi Roy,

for now (and near future) thinBasic target is to be an interpreter not a compiler but in the future we yes it could be, of course it will depend (I hope to have understood the question well).

IDE is already present in current 1.0.6.3 preview version.

Some parts of the forum are restricted, you can gain the access to them only if you is a thinBasic beta tester.
To became a beta tester you have to use the program and report to us the bugs, impressions and so on.
In one word be active user in the project.
After that you will welcome in the thinBasic beta tester.
Please let us know.

Best regards,
Roberto Bianchi

royscott
31-10-2005, 14:13
Thank you for the information. I run a general programming website. This morning I posted a notification about your development system that was pointed out to me by on of my members. You can see it here: http://www.scottserver.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2896

ErosOlmi
31-10-2005, 17:22
Hi Roy.

Thanks for your interest and for pointing out your forum post.
As Roberto said, we have no plan for a compiled version of thinBasic. It all depends on how thinBasic will spread around. At the moment we are quite concentrated on few important aspects: a good IDE, crypted scripts, CGI module, User Interface for GUI scripts.

thinBasic project is at the very early stage but as you can see from supported commands, it can be used for many different aspects.

Regarding beta testers, in the past (thinBasic was not around as download option) we had a lot of users asking to become a beta tester. 100% of them, after receiving thinBasic, disappeared. At that time we thought it was because thinBasic was too bad or things like that. Later we discovered it was an attitude of many users around. So, now, to be part of the beta group we would like a bit of participation to the project. For us participation means: use thinBasic, report impressions, bugs, requests at a regular basis. If we see this, we open beta area and also provide beta user our thinBasic SDK interface. With this SDK you can create your own modules both using Power Basic or C as development tool.

In the meantime, every 3/4 days we update current under development version allowing every user (even unregistered) to try latest thinBasic additions (see download section to get latest version).

Again thanks.
Eros

ADDED: sorry but at the moment I'm on a GSM connection (9.6Kbits) so it is hard to reply. Tomorrow I will be back on my broadband line.

Petr Schreiber
31-10-2005, 20:41
Hi Roy,

When I downloaded and installed the Tray Icon program it furnished an IDE that seems to be a work in progress. Is this the ThinAir IDE or another one?

I hope I understood your question well. The "Tray Agent" program is not the official IDE for thinBASIC. The true one, the thinAir, can be found in the thinAir subdirectory of the thinBASIC instalation. ThinAir is more complete than "Tray Agent" and it has some really nice features.

I created "Tray Agent" before the thinAir was developed by Roberto, to avoid Notepad coding sessions :)
If you have any suggestion about "Tray Agent", please feel free to make a post in Tray Agent section in forum.

Psch

P.S. If you're new to thinBASIC, don't forget to have look at OpenGL module for 3D graphics in the forum - thinBASIC is more than fast enough to work with 3D !

royscott
01-11-2005, 12:27
I have found the "Tray Agent" to meet my needs for an IDE/editor at the moment for testing. I will be looking forward to the "Thin Air" IDE when it is ready for testing. The ThinBASIC project is looking very good and I think it holds great promise for the future.

TO ALL:
A question has arisen on my forum as to whether the final version of ThinBASIC will be freeware or a commercial product. This is due to an annonymous post by a "Guest". I have looked at all available material here and on the main part of the site and have not been able to find an answer to this question. I would appreciate it if you could clear this up for me and I will post the answer on my forum.

ErosOlmi
01-11-2005, 15:31
Hi Roy,

sorry for the delay but I was out and my mobile connection was too slow to reply (GSM 9.6Kb). Now I'm back.

I think you are referring to a post under AutoIt3 forum. In that post I stated at the end that thinBasic is freeware.

At the beginning of the project, thinBasic was not freeware. Our idea was to create an automation script language for professional IT. This bacause thinBasic started as server automation.

Later the project started to be more general, a tool to be used for many different activities so we decided to tranform it as freeware. But we forgot to change or lic file. That's why in version 1.0.5.0 the lic says it is not freeware but if you download preview version 1.0.6.3 lic is already changed, maybe not perfect, maybe we will change it to be more precise and simple.

To be 100% honest, we have an idea to create/drive a official plus 3rd party modules market where to sell some professional/specialized module created with our SDK interface but this is another story and at the moment just an idea. In any case this will not limit thinBasic functionalities but will only add new one.

Hope to have cleared this point.
Meybe it will be more clear when we will remove registration necessity.

Regards
Eros

royscott
01-11-2005, 15:44
Thank you for the current information. I will copy your message and post it on my forum so that my members will have an understanding of the situation. I appreciate your rapid response to my question. I am finding ThinBASIC to be a very good product even in the preview or beta state. I will be following developments with great interest.

sincerely
Roy

ErosOlmi
01-11-2005, 15:52
Sure, no problem.
Give me some our to clear some stuff and I will make a post into your forum.

Thanks a lot
Eros