PDA

View Full Version : UI development

DirectuX
04-01-2020, 22:38
if you right click on line

#resource ".\Resources_Test001.rc"
you should get menu with "Open <resouce file name>"
If you choose it a resource editor should open and you can edit/create forms
.RC file is a common development file format used in some programming languages like C
Forms and controls names defined in .RC file are than recognized at runtime by thinBasic engine and you can use in script.
Not all controls are still developed, only few of them.

I'm still try to find right direction.
But better to spin off and talk into another thread.

Eros,

if I may ask, can you please develop the I'm still try to find right direction. part ?

ErosOlmi
04-01-2020, 23:50
Well, my main big idea was to develop a form designer using thinBasic programming language.
But at the moment it is a too big project for an interpreter.

I tried to develop a compiled visual designer (the one you get in thinAir under Tools\Visual designer menu) but the effort to maintain it is quite big.

So I tried to find visual designer able to produce a file I can interpret on the fly by thinBasic UI module and I found that a resource editor able to save .RC files could be the way to have something usable and help programmers.
I think it is not bad if I will be able to introduce all most common controls.

In any case my original idea to have a visual designer developed directly using thinBasic is still there.

DirectuX
04-01-2020, 23:59
I found that a resource editor able to save .RC files could be the way to have something usable and help programmers.

The little I've catch in the resource sample seems very helping. As you know I'm preparing the 'bricks' for my file manager project while wait-times during BTB development. I think GUI will come toward the end. If I may help during this project, ask.

I think it is not bad if I will be able to introduce all most common controls.

I agree, it will be useful if we do not encounter blockage.

xLeaves
06-01-2020, 11:25
I have always wanted to add a window editor to LzRPA.

This plan may be implemented next year.

The difficulty is indeed not small, but it can solve the problem of coordinate measurement.

But DirectUI is very popular now, and traditional UI has no advantage compared to this, which is a big problem.

In order to enhance user interface development capabilities, ThinBasic should also introduce DirectUI in a timely manner

E.g:

http://www.xcgui.com/

Chris Boss
07-01-2020, 06:28
Eros,

There may be another option for a Designer for ThinBasic .

I am working on a project to turn my EZGUI Visual Designer into a universal Visual Designer for other programming languages. My idea is to build a plugin engine into the Designer, where a programming language can be defined in a Template plugin (DLL) for any programming language. The Designer would load the plugin and then many of the decisions and code generation would be done by the plugin, while the Designer would handle everything else.

My Visual Designer is built upon a Visual Design engine built into my EZGUI framework, so it does many things that are not easily accomplished otherwise. Building a Visual Designer is not easy. For example, just for comparison, consider Firefly or some other Visual Designers. Try to select a dozen or so controls at one time and drag them and see what happens. Try it with 100 controls and try to drag them. You will see a terrible flicker and the process is very slow. The reason is they often drag the actual controls and that makes a mess.

My EZGUI engine in my designer allows you to select literally hundreds of controls at one time and drag them all seamlessly and without flicker. It uses its own drag rectangle engine which is capable of doing this.

If you would be interested in this, I may be able to create a version which can be freely distributed with freeware languages. I do plan on a commercial version, but that simply would have all the "bells and whistles" in it.

One language that I am interested in developing a designer for is Python. ThinBasic would be a nice language to work with too.

You can email me for more info at: support@cwsof.com

ErosOlmi
07-01-2020, 23:55
I have always wanted to add a window editor to LzRPA.

This plan may be implemented next year.

The difficulty is indeed not small, but it can solve the problem of coordinate measurement.

But DirectUI is very popular now, and traditional UI has no advantage compared to this, which is a big problem.

In order to enhance user interface development capabilities, ThinBasic should also introduce DirectUI in a timely manner

E.g:

http://www.xcgui.com/

Interested but didn't find english material.
It seems DirectUI is a Microsoft product but didn't find resources to study.
Do you have any link?

Thanks a lot.
Eros

ErosOlmi
08-01-2020, 00:00
Eros,

There may be another option for a Designer for ThinBasic .

I am working on a project to turn my EZGUI Visual Designer into a universal Visual Designer for other programming languages. My idea is to build a plugin engine into the Designer, where a programming language can be defined in a Template plugin (DLL) for any programming language. The Designer would load the plugin and then many of the decisions and code generation would be done by the plugin, while the Designer would handle everything else.

My Visual Designer is built upon a Visual Design engine built into my EZGUI framework, so it does many things that are not easily accomplished otherwise. Building a Visual Designer is not easy. For example, just for comparison, consider Firefly or some other Visual Designers. Try to select a dozen or so controls at one time and drag them and see what happens. Try it with 100 controls and try to drag them. You will see a terrible flicker and the process is very slow. The reason is they often drag the actual controls and that makes a mess.

My EZGUI engine in my designer allows you to select literally hundreds of controls at one time and drag them all seamlessly and without flicker. It uses its own drag rectangle engine which is capable of doing this.

If you would be interested in this, I may be able to create a version which can be freely distributed with freeware languages. I do plan on a commercial version, but that simply would have all the "bells and whistles" in it.

One language that I am interested in developing a designer for is Python. ThinBasic would be a nice language to work with too.

You can email me for more info at: support@cwsof.com

Ciao Chris,

that's why I gave up in creating my personal visual designer. I started but soon discover I had to study and develop too much.
So I thought my time would better being spent in developing thinBasic language.

You idea of a plug in for every language is very intriguing.
If you already have an interface I can study, I can start making some test in creating a plugin.

Thanks
Eros

Chris Boss
09-01-2020, 04:32
Another thing that would be nice is if the ThinBasic editor could be put into a DLL. Then I could have the Designer load a thinbasic plugin for info about code generation and controls and also load a prebuild code editor which the Designer could display. That way it could all appear to be integrated.

xLeaves
20-01-2020, 11:41
Interested but didn't find english material.
Do you have any link?

Thanks a lot.
Eros

Dear ErosOlmi:

I have a few selections here, but I haven't thought of the final use. I hope that this project will be finally completed and announced here.

XCGUI: A DriectUI library made by a Chinese developer (although multi-language support is complete, but lacks English documentation), the function is perfect, and the library is free, but the visual editor is charged, and it can achieve very good interface effects. But the cost of visual editors means that it is difficult to promote them on a large scale.
http://www.xcgui.com

HTMLayout / Sciter: An HTML5 interface library, it's all good, but it's too big (7MB +), and not everyone is willing to make the software increase so much for a simple interface.
https://sciter.com/

Dear imgui: A game GUI, but it is good enough to be used for software development. The problem is that it needs to be written with an OpenGL or DirectX front-end package, and it is C ++ and must be packaged.
https://github.com/ocornut/imgui

Win32SDK: I put this at the back. It is completely incomparable with other interface libraries in the selectable category, but at least ThinBasic already has a UI library using this technology.

xLeaves
20-01-2020, 11:59
If you want to choose to use RC files, you can try RedED developed by Ketlio. This project has been embedded in FbEdit and RadASM. If this solution does not reach the level of VB, it will not make much sense to implement it. After all, users cannot be proficient in Win32SDK. a large technical categories, many programmers have not crossed this threshold.

At present, I tend to choose dear imgui. This solution does not rely on a visual editor (similar to a stream layout), and it works well. It does not require developers to have much knowledge, but in general, if I am a Novice users, what I need is an event-driven visual editor, not a user interface library like this that needs to get started.

dear imgui

DirectuX
21-01-2020, 10:13
Do you have any link?

Thanks a lot.
Eros

This is a Microsoft product (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.windows.automation.automationelement.automationelementinformation.frameworkid?redirectedfrom=MSDN&view=netframework-4.8&viewFallbackFrom=dotnet-uwp-10.0#property-value) indeed.

About its documentation : (Peek at answer #1 (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4089196/netuihwnd-and-directuihwnd))

Just my opinion: resource files approach is already satisfactory.

In any case my original idea to have a visual designer developed directly using thinBasic is still there.

What about ui rendered in a web browser ? ( sort of CGI module / UIAdv module mix )

Chris Boss
21-01-2020, 16:26
Turns out my previous post with link (from the Visual Studio Marketplace) may have been trouble. The info seemed to make sense, but there was a download link in it which lead to a bad website. Don't click on it. I deleted that post and posted this instead:

Here is a better link from Code project:

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/372559/DirectUI

If it is an inhouse UI library used by Microsoft in its own products, then it likely won't be well documented and might not be a good solution.

The basic concept seems to be to build a user interface on a graphic screen of sorts rather than use actual Windows controls. It would not be too difficult to build something similar using either low level GDI or GDI+ graphics or even using OpenGL.

The best way to start would be to build a Sprite engine into a Graphic window class. Sprites provide many of the basic features needed for a graphic UI engine.

Chris Boss
24-01-2020, 05:45
Eros,

I am seriously considering creating an Open Source version of EZGUI 4.0 (not 5.0 Pro) and place it on GitHub. Would there be any interest in something like this for use with ThinBasic ?

The advantages of the EZGUI framework is that is is extremely easy to use and the commands do not require WIN32 API style coding. The code layout is much easier to work with than the Powerbasic like DDT style coding.

You can download a zip with a few simple EZGUI apps (and runtime) to see how they are coded and run (EXE's already compiled).

Here is an example of an EZGUI app is laid out:

#COMPILE EXE
#DIM ALL
' --------------------
#INCLUDE "..\includes\ezgui40.inc"
' --------------------
' *************************************************************************************
' Application Constants and Declares
' *************************************************************************************
%FORM1_LABEL1 = 100
%FORM1_HScrollBar1 = 105
%FORM1_LABEL2 = 110
' ------------------------------------------------
DECLARE SUB FORM1_HScrollBar1_Click()
' --------------------
#INCLUDE "..\includes\ezwmain.inc" ' EZGUI Include file for WinMain
' --------------------
SUB EZ_Main(VerNum&) EXPORT
EZ_LoadPatternLib "", ""
EZ_Color 0,-56
EZ_Form "FORM1", "", "Select Colors", 0, 0, 48, 18, "C"
END SUB
' -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUB EZ_DesignWindow(FormName$) EXPORT
SELECT CASE FormName$
CASE "FORM1"
EZ_Color 0, 0
EZ_UseFont -1
EZ_UseFont 4
EZ_Label %FORM1_LABEL1, 1, 1, 46, 10, "", "CS"
' --------------------------------
EZ_Color -1,-1
EZ_UseFont 4
EZ_HScroll %FORM1_HScrollBar1, 2, 12, 44, 1.5, ""
EZ_SetHScroll "FORM1", %FORM1_HScrollBar1, -57, 36, 0, 5
EZ_Color 15, 1
EZ_DefFont 10, "Tahoma", 16, "BV"
EZ_UseFont 10
EZ_Label %FORM1_LABEL2, 2, 15, 45, 2, "Move Slider to change colors", "CI"
CASE ELSE
END SELECT
END SUB
' -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUB EZ_Events(FormName$, CID&, CMsg&, CVal&, Cancel&) EXPORT
SELECT CASE FormName$
CASE "FORM1"
SELECT CASE CID&
CASE %EZ_Window
IF CMsg&=%EZ_Close THEN
END IF
CASE %FORM1_HScrollBar1
IF CMsg&=%EZ_Change THEN
IF CVal&<=31 THEN
EZ_SetColor "FORM1", %FORM1_LABEL1, 0, CVal&
EZ_SetText "Form1", 0, "Current Color Number is "+STR$(CVal&)
END IF
END IF
CASE ELSE
END SELECT
CASE ELSE
END SELECT
END SUB

The idea is to allow either the binary (DLL) to be used (write wrappers for it) or to use the Source code and port it or fork it to any project.

This is not a "done deal" yet, but simply in the concept stage right now.

Any thoughts ?

Chris Boss
24-01-2020, 05:50
The advantages of the EZGUI framework is that it has its own Event engine with much easier to use event messaging. One can actually process every event for the app in one routine (EZ_Events) or break it up (parse out each form or control in EZ_Events and call a routine for each).

For example like a Scrollbar is very easy. You get the %EZ_Change event when the scrollbar position changes and the new position is passed in the event in the CVal& parameter (all events get passed five parameters, (1) Form name, (2) Control ID, (3) Event constant (4) CVal& is unique to each event (5) Cancel& parameter to cancel default processing for some events).

New users using this framework can be up and running writing apps in a few hours.

ErosOlmi
24-01-2020, 06:43
Ciao Chris,

it is not up to me if there is interest in EZGui, I just develop thinasic.
It is up to programmers using thinBasic to take advantage of EXGui and to you in promoting EZGui and assist users.

From my side, what I can do is to see if EZGui can be used (as easy as possible) inside thinBasic scripts.
The rest is in the hands of programmers.

If you can attach include files "ezgui40.inc" and "ezwmain.inc" in the zip I can make tests to see if thinBasic can parse them at runtime.
As far as I see from attached .BAS examples it seems just a matter of calling standard functions and passing parameters so I do not see much problems but till I do not test it I cannot say all is compatible with thinBasic engine parser.

Today I will be out all the day but if you attach include files I can test during the week-end report results.

Ciao
Eros

ReneMiner
15-05-2020, 09:35
I like very much the clean and supereasy syntax as Textbox has now.

1. !!!

TextOut.Text &= TextIn.Text

Only half a line! Which was before a bunch of Handles, IDs and additional variables as

2. ???

String sInput
Control Get Text CBHNDL, %tbxIn to sInput
Control Append Text CBHNDL, %tbxOut , sInput

for the same result that intransparent mind-twisting many words writing verbose kill-a lot-of-time
syntax. Just look once again at the fist line. It says it all. Straightforward. No explanation needed.

Only a tiny problem with that, seems there is a problem with backward compatibility - the old syntax
does not work correct. Paste some text from clipboard into a textbox and request Control Get Text
- stays empty.
The Callback Function TextIn_OnChange() is using old syntax currently. Select and cut or comment the marked lines if you want to use the new syntax.
The script is just a template to pretend some console-like In & Output with 2 Textboxes. The upper box
should be something as STDOUT, the lower one STDIN - accepts input.

' thinBasic UI-script-Template TextIn & TextOut
#Region "Preprocessing"
'---------------------------------------------------------------

Uses "UI", "INI", "OS"

#EndRegion
'##############################################################################################
#Region "Equatification"
begin Const
$APP_Title = "NewScript_Untitled" ' use chars taht are valid in filenames

$Prompt = "Ready >"
%LenPrompt = lenf($Prompt) ' do not recalculate, it will not change

' FONTS: use 3: %monospaced, %regularFont + %HeaderFont
' prepared to use an non-OOBE-font (OOBE=Out Of the Box-Experience)
' so if a fonts was not shipped with windows not every user has it.
' therefore check and provide a fallback-font if we don't ship the
' font with this app.

' replace "PT MONO" with your favorite monospaced font if you don't
' have it on your system - or fallback to Courier New
%monoSpaced = iif$( instr(1, ucase$(Font_List), "PT MONO"),
font_new("PT Mono",10), Font_New("Courier New",10) )
' header-font for captions headers, menus
%HeaderFont = iif$( instr(1, Ucase$(Font_List), "OPENDYSLEXIC"),
font_new("OpenDyslexic",12), Font_new("Tahoma",12 ) )
' for usual text, information, description
%regularFont = iif$( instr(1, Ucase$(Font_List), "SERGOE UI"),
font_new("Sergoe UI",10), Font_new("MS Sans Serif",10 ) )

%hDlgMain ' slot for window-handle of dialog main
%hTextOut ' require handle to send text from another

%Not_CaseSensitive = 0

%thisProcess = OS_GetCurrentProcessId ' process to get displayed here
' %EvalScriptName = app_scriptpath & "QuestionToCore.tBasic"
' %EvalScriptHeader = Load_File(app_scriptpath & "QuestionTemplate.tBasicI")

end Const

begin ControlID
%tbX_OUT 'Output
%tbx_IN 'Input

%btn_Exit 'Stop

' timer to invoke ReDraw after user is
' done with the size-adjustmments to avoid
' repeatedly refresh while still sizing
%delayToRefresh
'--------------- MenuBar-popups

'--------------- Menuitems

end ControlID
#EndRegion
'##############################################################################################sub CreateMainWindow( byref hDlg as Dword,
#Region "Global Variables"
global Script2Eval as string
#EndRegion
'##############################################################################################sub CreateMainWindow( byref hDlg as Dword,
' >> setup procedure of the applications main window <<
Sub CreateMainWindow( byref hDlg as dword,
optional byval Title$ as string,
byval hParent AS DWORD )
'------------------------------------------------------------------
' -- set initial window position & size for first execution
long x = -1
long y = -1
long w = 360
long h = 270
long lStyle = %WS_CLIPCHILDREN | %WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | %WS_DLGFRAME |
%WS_CAPTION | %WS_SYSMENU | %WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW
Long lExStyle = %WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW
boolean SkipIniSettings ' = True ' override Inifile temporary

' --------------------------------------------------------------------
long cW, cH
Desktop get client to cW, cH

' -- if positions not in range then use centered
if not between(X, 0, cW-W) then x = minmax(cW/2 - w/2, 0, cW - W)
if not between(Y, 0, cH-H) then y = minmax(cH/2 - h/2, 0, cH - H)

if Not SkipIniSettings Then
' -- if no caption passed use the app-title as windoow-caption
if Title$ = "" then Title$ = $App_Title
' -- check the inifile for the last settings
x = val( ini_getkey(App_inifile, "DlgMain", "X", str$(X)))
y = val( ini_getkey(App_inifile, "DlgMain", "Y", str$(Y)))
w = val( ini_getkey(App_inifile, "DlgMain", "W", str$(W)))
h = val( ini_getkey(App_inifile, "DlgMain", "H", str$(H)))
EndIf

' -- apply all settings to new created dialog
Dialog New Pixels, Name DlgMain, hParent, Title$,
x, y, w, h,
lStyle, lExstyle To hDlg
dialog get client hDlg to cW, cH
' -- Dialog ready to take controls now

' use monospaced fonts for a console alike impression at TextIn & TextOut
SendMessage(hDlg, %WM_FONTCHANGE, %monospaced, 0)
local hCtrl as dword at varptr(%hTextOut)
hCtrl = Control Add Textbox, Name TextOut, hDlg, %tbx_Out, "", 5, 5, cW-10, cH - 105,
%ES_MULTILINE | %ES_AUTOHSCROLL | %ES_AUTOVSCROLL | %WS_VSCROLL | %ES_ReadOnly,
%WS_EX_StaticEDGE | %ws_ex_left
Control set font hDlg, %tbx_OUT, %monospaced
control set Resize hDlg, %tBX_Out, 1, 1, 1, 1

Control Add Textbox, Name TextIn, hDlg, %tbx_In, $Prompt, 5, cH-95, cW-10, 60,
%WS_Tabstop | %ES_MULTILINE | %ES_AUTOHSCROLL | %ES_AUTOVSCROLL | %WS_VSCROLL | %Es_WantReturn,
%WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE | %ws_ex_left
control set Resize hDlg, %tBX_IN, 1, 1, 0, 1
Control Set Font hDlg, %tbx_IN, %monospaced
Control set Focus hDlg, %tbx_IN
control Append text hDlg, %tbx_IN, $Spc ' to prevent selection of $Prompt

' change font to HeaderFont for all other controls
SendMessage(hDlg, %WM_FONTCHANGE, %HeaderFont, 0)
control add button, Name btnExit, hDlg, %btn_Exit, "Exit", cW * 0.667, ch-32, cW * 0.333-5, 30, %BS_DEFAULT
Control set Font hDlg, %btn_Exit, %HeaderFont
control set Resize hDlg, %btn_Exit, 0, 1, 0, 1

'----------------------------------------------------------------
End sub
'###############################################################
' >> check the input for contained message <<
Function IsPossible(Byref sInPut As String) As Boolean
Long lSpace
Number ExecutionTime, ExecDuration
if startswith(sInput, "cmd", %Not_CaseSensitive) then
TextOut.Text &= Shell_CaptureInput(sInput,,,5000) & CRLF
elseif startswith(sInput, "Run ", %Not_CaseSensitive) then
sInput = Remain$(sInput, "Run ", %Not_CaseSensitive))
if Any ( Endswith(sInput, ".exe", %Not_CaseSensitive),
Endswith(sInput, ".msi", %Not_CaseSensitive),
Endswith(sInput, ".mmc", %Not_CaseSensitive),
Endswith(sInput, ".lnk", %Not_CaseSensitive),
Endswith(sInput, ".symlnk", %Not_CaseSensitive) ) Then
' not passing parameters
TextOut.Text &= "Executing " & sInput & "..." & CRLF
shell(sInput,,true)

' elseIf startswith(sInput, "RunAs ", %Not_CaseSensitive) then
'[todo] run as AdMin
endif
else
if Instr(2, sInput Any " /-+:=" & $DQ ) > 0 then
' some parametes obviouslay, append a file where
' to put the results. Make sure it contains the right message if failure...
Save_File(App_Scriptpath & "returned.txt", sInput & " did not return any usable result" & crlf)

sInput &= " > " & App_Scriptpath & "returned.txt"
Shell(sInput,"")
TextOut.Text &= Load_File(App_Scriptpath & "returned.txt")

endif
endif
sTextOut.Text &= crlf

End Function
'####################################################################################################
#Region "Callback Functions" '### Callback Functions ### Callback Functions### Callback Functions ###
'####################################################################################################
' >> Refresh of the dialog is invoked after resizing by a timer <<
CallBack Function DlgMain_OnTimer() As Long
long W,H
'-------------------------------------------------------------------
if cbctl = %delayToRefresh then
dialog get size cbhndl to w, h
dialog set size cbhndl, w + 1, h ' tiny movements horizontal
dialog set size cbhndl, w, h + 1 ' & vertical to make the
dialog set size cbhndl, w, h ' controls looking good again
dialog Redraw cbhndl
dialog kill timer cbhndl, cbctl
Endif
function=true ' reply the callback - else it will not
' bother to send messages. if no reply
' it will not waste any more energy to
' call on functions that seem not to exist
' nor such that seem to have no body
'-------------------------------------------------------------------'-------------------------------------------------------------------
End Function
'##############################################################################################
' >> after dialog got resized its time to redraw all objects <<
CallBack Function DlgMain_OnSizing() As Long
Dialog set Timer %hDlgMain, %delayToRefresh, 200
' use of a timer to redraw the window content after resizing
' the window to prevent the content from flickering
function = true
End Function
CallBack Function DlgMain_OnDestroy() As Long
Long x, y
' -- final save of settings
dialog Get loc %hDlgMain to x,y
ini_setkey(App_inifile, "DlgMain", "X", str$(X))
ini_Setkey(App_inifile, "DlgMain", "Y", str$(Y))
dialog get size %hDlgMain to x, y
ini_Setkey(App_inifile, "DlgMain", "W", str$(X))
ini_Setkey(App_inifile, "DlgMain", "H", str$(Y))

End Function
CallBack Function TextIn_OnChange() As Long
String sInput

'--- SELECTION START HERE --- SELECTION START HERE --- SELECTION START HERE ---
' V
' V select this part and cut it
' V
' V
' V

'[todo] check this out: old syntax not functioning

if all(cbmsg=%WM_command, getasynckeystate(%VK_Return)) then
' V
' V
' V
control get text %hDlgMain, %tbx_IN to sInput
if startswith(sInput, $Prompt) Then
' V
sInput= trimfull$( Remove$(sInput, $Prompt) )
control_appendtext( %hDlgMain, %tbx_OUT, sInput & crlf )
' V
control set Text %hDlgMain, %tbx_IN, $Prompt
' V
control append text %hDlgMain, %tbx_IN, $SPC
endif
endif
' V
' V
' V
if GetAsyncKeyState(-1) then nop 'clear it...
function = true
end Function
CallBack Function ERASE_THIS_LINE(SELECTTION_Start_At_MARKED_LINE_244,
GO_DOWN_TO_SELECT_UNTIL_LINE_270,
THEN_DELETE_SELECTION_AND_RUN_AGAIN) As Long
' V
' V
' V
' --- SELECTION END HERE --- SELECTION END HERE --- SELECTION END HERE ---

if GetAsyncKeyState(%VK_RETURN) then
sInput = trimfull$(remove$(TextIn.Text, crlf))
TextIn.Text = ""
textOut.Text = textOut.Text & sInput & CRLF

select case lCase$(sInput)
case "cls", "clr"
TextOut.Text = ""
case "exit", "stop", "quit"
dialog end %hDlgMain
case Else
if Not IsPossible(sInput) then
textOut.Text = textOut.Text & "unable to process " & $DQ & sInput & $DQ & crlf
EndIf
end select

endif
' request to clear (-1) and take the result from stack
sInput = mkl$(GetAsyncKeyState(-1))
function = true ' reply to continue receiving messages
end Function
CallBack Function btnExit.onClick() As Long
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dialog end %hDlgMain
function = true
end Function
'----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#EndRegion
'### TBMain() ### TBMain() ### TBMain() ### TBMain() ### TBMain() ### TBMain() ### TBMain() ###
'###############################################################################################
Function TBMain() As Long
'---------------------------------------------------------------------
CreateMainWindow(%hDlgMain) ' call to create the main dialog
dialog set Minsize %hDlgMain, 160, 120 ' apply the minimum size

DIALOg show Modeless %hDlgMain ' use automatic Callback

if HiResTimer_Init then nop ' will use HiResTimer sometimes
' -- entering the
' MAIN LOOP
' -- >>>
repeat
DoEvents
until NOT isWindow( %hDlgMain )

' -- hurry, the rats are leaving the ship!
'---------------------------------------------------------------------
End Function
'#####################################################################################
'### EOF ### EOF ### EOF ### EOF ### EOF ### EOF ### EOF ### EOF ### EOF ### EOF ###
'#####################################################################################

This script (ok i will change it a bit) gets created if i rightclick somewhere and
the context-menu shells, i select "NEW..." "thinbasic.Script.File" - and there it is. I also can choose a thinbasic.consolescript.file
If you want the fonts - check in my downloads of thinAir-Themes-thread

ReneMiner
15-05-2020, 10:11
We write

{Control|Dialog} Add {aWindowsObject}, Name thisNameICanChoose, ...

the perfect idea (so simple you will kick yourself for not thinking of that)

type t_MyDialog
hWin as Dword
hParent as Dword
End Type

Global thisNameICanChoose as tDialog

use the UDT-VariableName to connect the both! Index? No more problem.
Find ME for inside a Callback? What for... Call my name!
Only 1 thing:

Reverse Develop syntax for Callback-function names to accept ONLY UNDERSCORE but not period/dot.

The DOT/PERIOD says "HEY I AM MEMBER OF AN UDT"
the underscore just connects words...
If No dot in the functions name it will be no confusion when parsing it.
When assigning the NAME to a control and the name is any Variable(except dynamic string) or an UDT then
UI can easily grab the varptr and keep it to define ME.

Just that one more thought: To make sure and foolproof the variable must not be redimensioned nor relocated.
So the Varptr that UI keeps in mind will stay the same for duration of execution.
One idea: Make the UDT-MAIN-Variable unchangeable as Equates are. An predefined UDT with basic subelements
of 20 Bytes (reserved for hWin, hParent, ControlID...). The USER MUST CREATE AN UDT that extends this one then.

The other Idea: UI will move the memory and store the udt variable at another place and connect the function-pointers only. The variables subelements are no accessible directly then so they all must be wrapped with a function
before the call to control/dialog add.

That makes it automatic that the controls names subelements become kind of private.

Third idea: a combination of both.
UI should provide

a basic Dialog-UDT -one for all dialogs
a basic udt for all visible Controls from button up to treeview and webbrowser
a basic UDT for every invisible control (that are not really controls) but objects as TIMERS, IMAGELISTS etc.
and one predefined UDT that can node siblings and children that can be used for menuitems, treeviewItems and tabcontrolpage. Yes make a tabControl inside the tab of a tabcontrol.... :D

primo
19-05-2020, 16:16
Thanks ReneMiner for this nice program, i haven't expected that we can use a Text Box as if it is something like a command prompt. but when we delete the Ready > it behaves like a normal Text Box .the code is very long but i guess it is part of a bigger code. the function Shell_CaptureInput seems new, i haven't found it in TB examples except in the help file . i will not be able to understand it now but it is surely a jewel for a future usage.

kcvinu
25-04-2021, 21:58
Hi all,
I know this is an old thread. But I would like to tell you something. I am writting a GUI library in ThinBasic. Since, thinBasic UI is not supporting unicode, I wrote my own with full unicode support. Here is the sampe code.

Uses "UI"

#include ".\ThinUi\*" '// I put all my library modules in this folder for easiness

Dim win As tWindow
with Win
.SetText("Thin Window")
.SetPosition(400, 50)
'.SetSize(650, 300)
'.OnMouseDown = "Win_MouseDown"
'.MaximizeBox = false
'.SetGradientBackColor(0xF17fBB, 0xddff23)
End With
win.MakeWindow() '// Here is the actual window creation happens.

Dim btn As tButton(win)
with btn
.setPosition(300, 50)
.SetSize(180, 50)
.SetFont("Tahoma", 12)
.SetText("Gradient Button")
.OnClick = "B1_Click"
.SetGradient(0x66ccff, 0xddff23)
.MakeButton()
End With
Dim btn2 As tButton(win)
with btn2
.setPosition(50, 50)
.SetSize(150, 40)
.SetFont("Calibri", 12)
.SetText("Color Btn")
.OnClick = "B2_click"
.SetForeColor(0x0052cc)
.SetBackColor(0x99ff66)
.MakeButton()
End With
Dim btn3 As tButton(win)
with btn3
.setPosition(50, 150)
.SetSize(180, 50)
.SetFont("Colonna MT", 15)
.SetText("Normal Button")
.OnClick = "Btn2_Onclick"
.SetForeColor(0xff0000)

.MakeButton()
End With
win.Display() '// Now we can show the window.

'// Here is the button click event handler.
Function B1_Click(tb As tButton, e As tEventArgs)
MsgBoxW("Hi from thinBasic")
End Function

Please see the attachment for the resulted window.
Till now, I have completed Window module & button module. I am gradually developing other controls.

Petr Schreiber
02-06-2021, 11:14
Hi,

it looks fantastic!

Petr