PDA

View Full Version : xojo and app game kit

kryton9
11-05-2017, 23:54
@Michael, I saw on github that you used both Xojo (previously known as realbasic) and App Game Kit from GameCreators, the guys who made DarkBasic.

I own DarkBasic, but have not used it in years. I played with Xojo a bit this year for database work, but not graphics.

I wanted to know what your quick thoughts were and experiences with both. Thanks.

Michael Hartlef
12-05-2017, 14:28
On Github you saw a reference on Xojo? Mmmh, well I tried it 1-2 years ago on my Imac. Was good but not for me. Somehow it didn't click.
It definitely isn't something for games.

AGK, I really like. Good feature set for games and supports all the important platforms. It could be a little faster on the interpreter side but
now that they introduced plugins for Tier1, you could work around time critical calculations this way.
At the end, it is the only commercial 2d/3D programming language, which is in active development.

Edit: I have definitely more experience in AGK than Xojo. AGK quirks are not many. It is a typical functional language with dynamic arrays (lists).
I have only use static models so I can't say how their support for animated models are.

kryton9
12-05-2017, 15:22
Thanks Michael. I am happy the game creators are still in business. I was so blown away by DarkBasic when it first came out. I see on their site you can download AGK for free for the Raspberry Pi, I will need to give it try for sure in the coming weeks. Thanks again for your thoughts and opinions on them.