PDA

View Full Version : Lorenz Butterfly

mike lobanovsky
14-12-2013, 01:26
Hehe, just saw this one on basicprogramming.org (http://forum.basicprogramming.org/index.php/topic,3122.msg22994.html#msg22994)... :)

The test shows how well native plotting functions work in a pesistent bitmap environment. thinBasic's Canvas control is a very handy widget to keep one's drawings intact with a minimum coding effort.

The window sizes are different because thinBasic sets desired client bounds while the other language, nonclient ones. Increasing Line() width slows plotting down considerably.

peter
14-12-2013, 03:09
For a better sightseeing.

mike lobanovsky
14-12-2013, 06:10
Peter,

If you want to know my opinion, I find the latent implications of your phrase ridiculous. After all, this thread is all about interpreting and not about static compilation to native code run on a computer of unknown configuration.

But you wanted it, now you have it. Better sight and seeing to you too.

peter
14-12-2013, 07:26
Thank you!

I'm touched.

you are here, I am out.

RobbeK
14-12-2013, 12:36
Hi Mike,

What version FBSL does it need to run ? ... I get some errors one StyleRemove , GetStockObject ...
Ah, yes .. for taking up C again , in your opinion what is the more interesting :
Pelles C or LCC ??

thznks i adv. Rob

mike lobanovsky
14-12-2013, 15:42
Hi Rob,

Thanks for asking.

First, you should download and install the latest stable (but rather outdated) FBSL v3.4.10 from here (http://gedd123.free.fr/FBSLv3bin.zip). That is, if you haven't installed it already.

Next, you should download FBSL v3.5 Beta from here (http://www.fbsl.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=10305#p10305). It installs only on top of the previous installation exactly as described in the accompanying Readme file. There will be yet a newer Beta release soon. I sincerely hope it will in fact be Omega as far as field tests are concerned, and FBSL v3.5 Final will become the latest officially stable release.

Please be warned that v3.5 can't run legacy sample scripts from the Help file and \Examples folder of the old distro as the new version is not 100% backwards compatible, vocabulary-wise. You will have to fix such scripts manually as described in the aforesaid Readme file. On the other hand, Beta has been around for a year already and all the scripts published on our forum within that period have been written exclusively in FBSL v3.5.

But Rob, I wouldn't like to keep on such straightforward propaganda in the threads here. Please send me a PM whenever you have any questions of such sort or register directly at the FBSL forum to get whatever help you might need to the best of my ability. :)

Regarding open-source static compilers, the best one for Windows is undoubtedly MinGW/GCC coupled with a free Code::Blocks IDE whatever their latest official releases are. FBSL is compiled with MinGW/GCC 4.3.3. Pelles C is also quite solid but less versatile. LCC-Win belongs to the past much like Microsoft's VC6.

RobbeK
16-12-2013, 18:24
Thanks a lot Mike --
Can't run your Xmas-presents -- hardware too poor :-(

best Rob

mike lobanovsky
17-12-2013, 01:52
Thanks Rob!

And too bad about your HW. Mine is the absolute minimum these days to still be compatible with dynamic raymarching tasks. I have an 3.4GHz Intel i5 Quad upgrade kit in my desk drawer and I'm planning to install it this Christmas. But I'll also have to upgrade my video cards to stay in the mainstream for at least a couple more years. That's another stress on my budget that I have to resolve yet somehow.

Regards,