PDA

View Full Version : Who is using the sprite functions of TBGL and how?

Michael Hartlef
12-10-2010, 10:27
Hi folks,

Petr has voiced some concerns about my involvement in other programming languages and that I would maybe use his TBGL code for them. I can understand that he is worried as he put a huge effort in building the TBGL module. To ease his concerns and remove what is causing them, I would like to cut the sprite functionality out of the TBGL module and place them into their own module. This would mean that the functions could get a new command prefix.

If I can cut out the sprite functions, it would also allow me to move the code over to a different language like FreeBasic for an example.

Anyway, are you using the sprite function set and would it be a big problem if you have to rename the commands? Also I would like to know, if you are using them mixed with 3D or just 2D?

Cheers
Michael

matthew
12-10-2010, 22:23
I think placing the sprite commands in their own module would be a good idea & I'm sure there are going to be a few people out there who want to use 2D sprites with 3D graphics so I recommend keeping that functionality.

kryton9
12-10-2010, 22:29
I usually am in a minority in this sort of manner, but I never had a problem with making big changes. I think worrying about backward compatibility is a mistake and leads to unnecessary bloat and slow progress. As you can tell, my vote would be no worries go ahead and make the changes.

Charles Pegge
12-10-2010, 23:36
If you can provide one or two examples showing the two demerged modules working together, I don't think it will be an adverse change. Decoupling happens frequently during the course of program development.

Charles