Thread: New Google OS

New Google OS

I am very excited by this announcement. I have been using Chrome Beta for a couple of weeks now and love it.

Now a chrome based new OS, this could be great stuff.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8139711.stm
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Re: New Google OS

I'm excited about it too kent, I saw this blog post about it today.

Apparently the new OS is going to be designed for Netbook computers.
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    CPU: Intel Celeron N4000 CPU @ 1.10GHz
    Memory: 4.00GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 600

Thanks for the link Matthew, I just read the blog that it pointed too. This one gives the impression that it will be all cloud based, where as in the bbc article, it seemed like netbooks first with cloud computing, but then desktop apps later on the OS.

I must say that I was very happy with XP with service pack 2 and 3. Then Vista after the last service pack and now windows 7. I don't think Microsoft is in any trouble, it might just have competition for netbooks.

One thing I give Microsoft lots of credit for that all other OS writers ignore is hard core gaming. I think the fact that Windows has made pc gaming a key part of its vision, has really saved them. It is the one reason why the other OS's will never beat them till they make an api that is complete for good quality pc games.

When XP first came out and talk about the next Windows OS was being talked about. There was this incredible article I read that answered all my wishes, but of course only about 5% of what I was excited about came to be in the end and I think Microsoft wasted many years on Vista and came up short on a solid foundation for the future.

Vista should have been a totally new OS, not based on the c winapi. It should have been a totally Object Oriented Api completely rewritten from scratch. Microsoft should have said XP would be the last version with backward compatibility, all future versions of the next generation windows would need to be rewritten to take advantage of the new solid API.

They are just abstracting layer upon layer on the old winapi and I am impressed that they are able to pull it off as well as they have recently, but it is waiting to be bested at sometime. When apple or the linux world can come up with a true alternative to directx and not a patchwork of libraries that one needs to do any game development on those environments with opengl and sdl, that could be the day.

With the gaming industry out earning the movie industry, it is obvious that pc gaming is and will be important for time to come. DirectX is not easy, it is getting better all the time, but it does offer a complete solution that the other OS's should try to beat or at least emulate in one uniform api.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Mmmh, does Google compete with their own creation ANDROID or is it ANDROID with a different name. A few weeks I read that Android is running on the some netbooks allready.