Thread: TAB Game: Realm of Obsidian

TAB Game: Realm of Obsidian

Hi,

A text adventure written with TAB (thinBasic Adventure Builder) has been entered into the annual "Spring Thing" Interactive Fiction Competition by game author Amy Kerns.
    It is called "Realm of Obsidian"

Download site:
    http://www.springthing.net/2009/

You can download the game to play with or without sound.

Regards,
    catventure.
    http://tab.thinbasic.com - Home Of The ThinBasic Adventure Builder Project. (Interactive Fiction/Text Adventure Maker)

Re: TAB Game: Realm of Obsidian

Good luck in the competition,

I wish I would have more time to play this game!

Petr

P.S. One thing - when I choose "yes" in version without sound, it kind of paralyses the script.
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Quote Originally Posted by Petr Schreiber
    One thing - when I choose "yes" in version without sound, it kind of paralyses the script.
    Hi Petr,
    Thanks. I had not tried the no-sound version. I have done just now and I can report I had same problem too. I've informed the author and I'm also checking as to possible cause... The full version WITH sounds is OK though.

Best wishes,
    catventure.
    http://tab.thinbasic.com - Home Of The ThinBasic Adventure Builder Project. (Interactive Fiction/Text Adventure Maker)

I like the title of the game, it makes me want to play it.
    Am looking forward to trying out, thanks for the link Catventure.
    Acer Notebook: Win 10 Home 64 Bit, Core i7-4702MQ @ 2.2Ghz, 12 GB RAM, nVidia GTX 760M and Intel HD 4600
    Raspberry Pi 3: Raspbian OS use for Home Samba Server and Test HTTP Server

Hey there. This is the author of Realm of Obsidian. I had no idea you made a post about my game here, Catventure! (Oh, the wonders of Google...)

Now I see where the consternation over the "no sound" version came from. My simple answer is this: To enable dial-up users to be able to download my game for judging in the Spring Thing Competition, I merely made a second zip file without the sound files used in the game. This is not a true soundless version, as it still asks you if you want sound or not, and you still have to tell it no. It just makes it easier for those who can't download a 16+ MB game. I plan on releasing a true soundless version on my wordpress site/blog (as well as on the Interactive Fiction Archive), when the comp is finished at the end of the month. I'm still improving a few things with general gameplay as well.

I want to thank you, Petr and Kent, for your interest in the game. And a big THANK YOU to Catventure for providing the ThinBASIC Adventure Builder. This is Realm of Obsidian at it's best. That said, I'd be happy to get second place. Jim Aiken's entry in the comp has gotten some favorable reviews already.

Thanks again!

Ciao Amy and welcome to thinBasic community forum.

As you may know, this is the place where we support thinBasic programming language.
    thinBasic is the programming language Catventure has decided to use to develop TAB application and we are very very happy about that. So far TAB is the biggest (in terms of number of lines) application developed with thinBasic.

Even if this place is not dedicated to IF, I'm sure you will find it a nice place where to discuss and test your creations.
    Good luck for the competition.

Ciao
    Eros
    www.thinbasic.com | www.thinbasic.com/community/ | help.thinbasic.com
    Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64bit - 32 GB - Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000

Hi Amy,

the game is interesting, I downloaded the full version with sounds.
    Maybe idea for Catventure, to allow producing "no media" package safely.

Petr
    Learn 3D graphics with ThinBASIC, learn TBGL!
    Windows 10 64bit - Intel Core i5-3350P @ 3.1GHz - 16 GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB

Thanks again for the interest, as well as the welcome.